Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 08:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

First, I know you guys/gals see these all the time. Sorry for seeming repetitive, but I did read all (I think) of the applicable threads before posting - nothing fit. Here goes.

Use - circumnavigation. I'll start pretty tame (probably Bahamas) and work up to passages. Possibility of lots of single-handing. I'm also an avid freediver/spearfisherman - so this isn't just a vehicle, it's also a dive platform.

Budget - $200K, all in, ready to sail away without any immediate major refits.

Size - prefer something in the 40' range. Can go down to 38 and up to 42 (if I think I can still dock her by myself). Need at least 3 cabins, prefer 2 heads. I will have guests.

Performance vs Condo - Don't care much. Far more concerned with quality of build and bridgedeck clearance.

Galley up vs down - I was thinking galley up (especially single-handed) but there seem to be some good reasons for galley - down. We'll see.

Alright, here's what I'm looking at:
- late 90's Priveledge 39
- FP whatevers, 38-40. Love the space on the Venezuela
- late 90's Catana 39. Don't seem to be much space
- late 90's early 00's Lagoon. Seem on the upper end of my price range
- late 90's Leopards/Jaguars.

So - thoughts, opinions welcome. My budget is strict, so suggesting a custom cat or a late model of the above isn't going to help much.

Cheers, thanks for reading.
Old 25-10-2013, 08:56   #2

Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

I felt my 92 TPI Lagoon was a great boat. High bridgedeck (I could actually take my dingy under it!) Built in davits, normal shaft drive (not Saildrives) , Big easy to use engine rooms, carried the same weight as my 47 mono much better, large radii fairing teh bridgedeck into the hulls for strength. They are getting long in the tooth now though, and unless you could get one that someone else has just refit.. it wouldnt be turnkey....

You may have to compromise what you want at your price... not sure...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 09:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I felt my 92 TPI Lagoon was a great boat.
Been looking at them, and like them. If I found one in the $170K range without needing a major refit - I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You may have to compromise what you want at your price... not sure...
Agreed, but I'm going to see if I can find something before I start compromising. I have seen a variety of older Privileges, FP's and Lagoons in my price range - I'm just a little worried about them being a hole in the water that I throw money into.
Old 25-10-2013, 09:14   #4

I'm just a little worried about them being a hole in the water that I throw money into.
Therein lies the problem; brand new boat you can spend $50k outfitting, OTOH old boats ALWAYS require work, even if in very nice shape.
Cruising has been called "doing boat repair in exotic locations" and it's soooo true. If you are prepared for that, find the best boat for you even if it needs some work, if you find one that doesnt need work now it will shortly anyway!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 10:23   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

When this pops up I always answer with the question, "What kind of car should I buy?"

The short answer without sarcasm is that just about any cat will fill your needs. There is no perfect boat. And there are those home built one offs that may be an even better value than a production boat. When you get ready and have the cash in hand then we may be able to point you in the right direction at specific boats. Are you ready and have cash in hand? Until then browse the YW listings and that will give you a feel for the market value. Also try Sailboat Listings and Search Tempest. You can tailor your search for cats on these sites. Lat 38 also has a few in their classifieds including an FP Athena.
Where are you and where would you like the boat to be?
Old 25-10-2013, 12:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
When this pops up I always answer with the question, "What kind of car should I buy?"
Fair enough. So let me answer your question with my question (since that's the theme) - "I wouldn't make a car purchase without asking people who've owned them, would you?"

And to elaborate, I'd also ask owners of the various cars (given my situation) if they had any feedback.

I'm not asking anyone to make a decision, merely provide some feedback on a) the thought processes I've outlined and b) the boats that I've outlined.

Quote:
The short answer without sarcasm is that just about any cat will fill your needs. There is no perfect boat.
I'm not sure I agree, but I get the gist of it. The thing I want to avoid is buying something with known issues or serious design flaws. Some of that can be learned from actually walking around the boats - some can only be learned from experience (which is why I posted).

Quote:
And there are those home built one offs that may be an even better value than a production boat.
This is interesting. I wonder how one determines the overall quality of a one-off build? Is it just a survey? Care to share an example?

Quote:
Also try Sailboat Listings and Search Tempest. You can tailor your search for cats on these sites. Lat 38 also has a few in their classifieds including an FP Athena.
Thanks!

Quote:
Where are you and where would you like the boat to be?
Texas, I'd like my boat to be on the east coast, or on the way to the S. Pacific from the east coast - ie Caribbean, Panama, etc.

While we're on the subject - anybody have any experience finding, surveying, and the purchasing a boat somewhere remote (outside of the US, EU, etc)?
Old 25-10-2013, 12:08   #7

You left out the cat brand which reportedly has more circumnavigations than any other.

Prout
And the early Broadblue cat was on the last Prout's hull design.

Age is probably the biggest factor in price. Just remember that the older the boat is, the more likely the sub systems will have issues.

You are thinking of a circumnavigation, but you also mention budget is tight. IMHO this would require that you already have a wealth jack of all trades boat maintenance and repair experience, as well as appropriate tools, already in place. Things break on a day sail, more likely on an overnight. A full week trip is another story. I can only imagine a long trek, passage, or circumnav.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 12:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
You left out the cat brand which reportedly has more circumnavigations than any other.

Prout
And the early Broadblue cat was on the last Prout's hull design.
Good point. I heard some bad things about them, and haven't heard much else. Have you sailed one, owned one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
You are thinking of a circumnavigation, but you also mention budget is tight. IMHO this would require that you already have a wealth jack of all trades boat maintenance and repair experience, as well as appropriate tools, already in place. Things break on a day sail, more likely on an overnight. A full week trip is another story. I can only imagine a long trek, passage, or circumnav.
I'm keeping my budget very tight on the boat so that I can afford to circumnav. For the trip itself I've budgeted about $3k per month (but will work really hard to stay under that). I don't care to stay in marinas, hope to rarely use my motors, and am very self-sufficient food-wise. Drink, though; I like wine, craft beer, and local rums. Drink could cost me

I have some repair experience, but I'd be willing to bet with an appropriate library, the right tools onboard, and as many spares as I can realistically carry - I can find ways to make it work. That's definitely a good point though, and one I'm a little worried about.
Old 25-10-2013, 12:39   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

When do you plan to go? From the department of redundancy department consider joining me and build one of the Herd. Going to save you a heap of cash and you'll learn/know every detail of your boat before you go. At age 30 a year of building ain't gonna be a big sink of the "time you have left."
Old 25-10-2013, 12:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
When do you plan to go? From the department of redundancy department consider joining me and build one of the Herd. Going to save you a heap of cash and you'll learn/know every detail of your boat before you go. At age 30 a year of building ain't gonna be a big sink of the "time you have left."
I plan to go mid/late next year. I'm working a high-stress job (that is helping the cruising kitty substantially), so I don't want to wait much longer.

I also don't have time for that kind of project. Taking a month or so to outfit an older cat? Yeah, I feel like I'd actually enjoy that. But building one from scratch, or a even a significant rebuild? Nope, not interested.

That said, I have an immense amount of respect for what you're doing - that's really cool. Truth be told, I think you'll be much more prepared (and a better sailor for it) than I will. Congrats, good on you
Old 25-10-2013, 13:30   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You really won't find any truly bad boats. Just about all brands are OK and some have had issues but these are random. There are no Yugos out there except on the bottom. Keep in mind that the boat builder just builds the structure, cabinets, etc. All the other stuff is by other suppliers.
To answer your earlier question I consider a home built to be worthwhile or seaworthy if shes done significant sea miles subject to survey of course. These can actually be great values because of the 'unknown' factor. Some of these have very well documented history of construction pics and materials.
The good thing is that most of these boats in your price range have bottomed out or are near in value. If you can find a decent one then it might not be too much of a hole in the water.
There are also Catalacs and Solaris to consider in addition to Prouts. Both are very sturdy but on the slow side.
Old 25-10-2013, 14:36   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Being that your from Texas you may want to check into this cat. It's in your budget, probably a great performer and has great bridgedeck clearance. Only downside to me is the cockpit.
1995 Hughes Design 43 Catamaran sailboat for sale houston Clear Lake, Tx.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Being that your from Texas you may want to check into this cat. It's in your budget, probably a great performer and has great bridgedeck clearance. Only downside to me is the cockpit.
1995 Hughes Design 43 Catamaran sailboat for sale houston Clear Lake, Tx.
Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. I remember now why I posted this (that's not sarcasm)

It does seem to have great clearance, but I like neither the outboards nor cockpit/salon setup. You'd think with it being so Spartan, they'd have it at $150k.
Old 25-10-2013, 14:50   #14

The ladder on one side too is a bit crap, especially if you want to use it as a dive platform.

Good luck to you mate, I wish I was in the financial position to whisk my mother away for a couple of years, I think she'd enjoy it!
toggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 15:29   #15

My 25c...you'd be better off taking a couple of years "out", live in a quiet village with access to the tropical ocean. You can find a part time job doing...something, maybe as a dive instructor, bar tender, IT repair guy...something... while spearfishing and chilling out the rest of the time. Me-thinks the "getting away from it all" is probably more your goal that the actual sailing. I've lots of experience in this whole area...not just a couch dreamer. Try it, before you buy it!!! Anyway...the best of luck to you.
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote