Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:20   #91

Boat: Seadog 30
Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

TheNomadTrip.
I'm wondering how you are progressing in your hunt.
I'm starting my own hunt with pretty much the same parameters as you.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:15   #92

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

It looks like this price range and size is very popular as I am also searching. Nate (thenomadtrip) and I have spoken over e-mail and bounced some ideas off of each other.

For those interested.. There was a Privilege 45 posted in the classifieds section for $175K. Unfortunately it needs the same amount of electronics as S/V Joy. The owner was also not very forthcoming with information and seemed to believe his boat was worth more. I didn't think so, so I moved on, but it might be worth looking at for someone else. They claimed it was going to be moved to Florida soon.

There is also a fairly well equipped FP located in San Francisco. It seems to have gone up in price though (was listed at $158K). Here is the link catamaran for sale fontaine pajot athena

In the near future, I hope to see all of you out there....
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 13:44   #93

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Are you sure that the Athena went up in price. There were 2 for sale there. I guess one sold.
Old 12-02-2014, 14:14   #94

Sorry looks like I was mistaken.. The price has actually gone down. Its now listed at $149K... Hhhhmmm its peaked my interest..

Turn-Key Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 | Boat for Sale - West Coast Multihulls
Old 12-02-2014, 15:18   #95

Boat: CL52

I saw that FP Athena on YW as well. It is priced higher than ones that have sold before. One of these days, I will have to go up and check it out.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 22:05   #96

Wonder if anyone has seen this strange boat.. Its interesting, and cheap..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-119358.html
Old 13-02-2014, 06:26   #97
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

This thread seems to be all about price. Do yourself a favor and try single handing a 40 something foot catamaran before jumping into a purchase decision. It's not for everyone. I'd recommend first time catamaran buyers start in the 30 - 38 foot range of catamarans to get the feel of them.

Yes older boats are less expensive, but don't discard these needlessly. 1985 Catalacs are crossing oceans today (both 12 meter and 9 meter boats). Older, solid glass hulled boats are almost ageless. Where as any cored hull boat regardless of age would have to examined carefully for delamination issues. It's not the boats per se, it's the lack of maintenance.

In the real world price is a driving force, but people need to consider other parameters as well.

Catamarans for sale by owner
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 18:48   #98

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Following with interest. I am teasing with the idea of switching to a catamaran similar to what you are looking for.
Old 14-02-2014, 05:15   #99
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Heinous, glad you didn't post that on the monohull thread! Tropic Cat, I agree that price is not everything and that there is still much to recommend some of the older British cats. In my experience, however, a 40 foot cat is generally no more difficult and often easier to single-hand than a 40 foot monohull. Much depends upon the boat and how it is rigged, of course, but most of the more recent cats have all lines led to the helm station, which is a very good start. In addition, twin diesels vastly simplify docking - albeit the freeboard in most current cats means that you will probably need some help with docklines in all but relatively calm conditions. Even if your sheets are not led to the helm station, an autopilot with auto-tack makes the process acceptable for single-handing and indeed, movement in a more stable platform makes movement in the cockpit easier than in most monos of a similar size.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 06:52   #100
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
....In my experience, however, a 40 foot cat is generally no more difficult and often easier to single-hand than a 40 foot monohull. ....

Brad
It depends. There are times I find the opposite to be true. Tacking single handed in a catamaran in some wind requires a bit of agility on my boat as the cockpit genny winches are 11 feet apart. On a 40'ft mono they're a whole lot closer.

When I said that catamarans are not for everyone, I was referring to their motion. Mono guys forget that their boats travel through the water, catamarans ride on top ... like a cork.

In short wave periods, you know what I'm talkin about... out to the 8 to 10 fathom line, I don't know anyone who prefers the motion of a catamaran over a monohull. In water deeper than that (or calmer) .... sailing a catamarans is almost as much fun as having sex.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:02   #101
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Can't argue with that, Tropic Cat - although cats that have a greater tendancy to hobby-horse are much less comfortable in those conditions than designs with longer waterlines, less rocker and less weight in the ends.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:49   #102

I am not sure how many of you are looking, but I can attest to the status of this 1995 FP Athena located on sailaway catamaran's site.

It was my neighbors. He spent a lot of time and money preparing the boat for he and his family to cruise on. They cleaned out their house and were ready to get on it in October when he got another job offer he couldn't refuse. I know he replaced quite a few items and as far as I know the boat was ready to go. No, I am not a surveyor, but I know that the owner was pretty diligent in getting stuff ready to go (electrical upgrades, new batteries etc.) They had been cruisers prior to that for a short stint, so I think that provides some background for his assessment of "priorities"

At the current list price of 178Kish, I think it is a solid boat that is ready for a cruise right now. It includes roughly a year old dinghy and 15HP outboard.

If you are going to jump ship, it would require you starting out in Annapolis, but that isn't so bad.

Others on this forum could attest as to whether this is a round the world boat like a broad blue,(probably not). but if you like FP, and are good with this size boat, this is a prime example in tip top shape.

Sail Away Catamarans | Catamaran Sales, Charters & Instruction
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 11:30   #103

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Heinous, glad you didn't post that on the monohull thread!
Shhh! Don't tell anyone...
Old 24-02-2014, 14:19   #104

Great thread! I'm new here but have been researching this for two years. It feels good to know there are others looking for and wanting the same things. Keep it up!
Old 24-02-2014, 15:04   #105

Boat: CL52

I did look at the FP Athena Family Circus for sale in San Francisco. From my inspection, she is a sound boat. I imagine it would be a great boat to sail around in. It is an ex charter boat, but you would never know it through inspection. One engine was rebuilt and has 30 or 40 hours on it. The other has under 2000 hrs on it. There was also some structural work performed on it in each hull to stiffen it up. (I was told this, but I could find no evidence of it so they must have done a good job to cover it back up. I did not notice any soft spots on deck or down below. It had a great outdoor cockpit. ACRES of room both aft and forward. The boat is really ready to go, unless you are going to cross an ocean. Its more set up for weekends and maybe up to a few weeks at a time. No genny, no heat, no solar, etc.

I am 6 ft tall and found the main salon to be a little tight. Another thing to note is that it was pretty spartan. Very few lockers or drawers throughout the cabins in the hulls. Well, none really. Lots of shelving for bags and gear, but nothing an owner who wanted to live aboard for an extended amount of time would be happy with. Of course one could add all that at a weight penalty, but I am not familiar enough with cats to know how much weight you could add to it and still scoot along efficiently.

It is listed at $149K, but the broker, Monte, was very forthcoming and told me where the owner was at in price and it was considerably less than the asking price.
It will certainly be a good deal for anyone who buys it. It just was not a good fit for our situation as we are looking to go north with it for extended cruising and its probably just not the right boat (for us) to do that .

Regards
Don

As a buyer in the market, I dont see this boat being in the market past June. If anyone watching this thread is interested, I wouldn't hesitate to call the listing broker.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote