Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2013, 19:13   #76
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
[QUOTE="TheNomadTrip;1397034"] I'm not ruling it out, but there are a number of better equipped boats for pretty darn cheap if I'm willing to do something in another country. See my recent post for boats I'm looking at. Those boats are 80-90% ready for a bluewater cruise. Joy may be 50%. There's a cost to my time, my stress, and the repairs.[/QUOTE

I understand what your saying, but in my experience better to buy the boat less well equipped and do the installations yourself rather than buying the fully equipped boat. At least you know what you have and also understand the installation.

Old 21-11-2013, 19:18   #77

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I understand what your saying, but in my experience better to buy the boat less well equipped and do the installations yourself rather than buying the fully equipped boat. At least you know what you have and also understand the installation.
Fair enough. But if the boat has been outfitted by a good/great sailor, it'll probably be better appointed than I'll be able to do.

I'm glad you pointed that out though, it's definitely a good point, and Joy is worthy of consideration if I'm willing to put in some work. Honestly, I would feel a little guilty if I needed to get tough in the negotiations (knowing their story).

Old 21-11-2013, 20:42   #78

I just looked at Joy again. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't ever pay $165K (or anything near that) for a 1993 boat without any electronics, in Panama. Ever.

In one of the links above there's a 42' TPI for that. In my mind it's a better boat and it doesn't need an entire set of electronics. S/V Joy isn't an option.
Old 22-11-2013, 02:22   #79

Boat: 38' French Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
I just looked at Joy again. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't ever pay $165K (or anything near that) for a 1993 boat without any electronics, in Panama. Ever.

In one of the links above there's a 42' TPI for that. In my mind it's a better boat and it doesn't need an entire set of electronics. S/V Joy isn't an option.
Makes me wonder if they had insurance or not. Their price has dropped closer to our budgeted max so I emailed the owner of Joy told him this ,asked what exactly was damaged in the strike, and if a surveyor was or adjuster had inspected it as their site isnt clear on the damage other than most electrical items are crossed off. And the owners have yet to respond to me from over a week ago.
Old 22-11-2013, 02:25   #80

Quote:
So I've had a couple of boats come to the forefront:

An older Privilege 39' (posted on the forum here too): 1992 Privilege Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And a 42' Lagoon TPI, here: LAGOON 42 - San marlot - San Marlot

Honestly, I'd prefer to wait a couple of months, and I know it'll be a PITA getting them surveyed, hauled, and outfitted in Mexico. Anybody have thoughts on these boats?
Have a good if not surveyor, both boat models have a propensity for window and hatch leaks which on both models leads to bigger issues. Also anywhere there is deck hardware if not resealed every so many years will have more issues. Looked at a TPI this year of same era and it had rotted balsa on deck in multiple areas.
Old 22-11-2013, 04:45   #81

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Makes me wonder if they had insurance or not. Their price has dropped closer to our budgeted max so I emailed the owner of Joy told him this ,asked what exactly was damaged in the strike, and if a surveyor was or adjuster had inspected it as their site isnt clear on the damage other than most electrical items are crossed off. And the owners have yet to respond to me from over a week ago.
They listed it.
1993 Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 22-11-2013, 06:11   #82

Go figure, if you took out the brokers cut, that would well have been within our budget. One of these same year sold in kw a month ago for 120k. And it had not been hit ny lightning but needed other work.
Old 22-11-2013, 07:26   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Talk about a project. I'd consider it, but it would be a **** to refit all electronics (in Panama especially). I don't even know where to start.

Anybody have thoughts on how much it would take to refit that boat with ALL NEW electronics? Including labor?
Panama is not a third-world country. Everything is available there with major dealers for Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, etc, as well as any electrical items you need. Large major hardware stores, shopping malls, etc. Great industrial places to get motors rewound, all types of welding, hydraulic work, etc. Marine Warehouse (think West Marine) has a large operation with 2 stores there. Or order everything you need from US suppliers (there is internet in Panama) and ship it in ocean cargo (very cheap, but takes 3 weeks).

Or just bring a big box of gear down with you when you pick up the boat.

Unless you are coming from a major US marine and commercial traffic center, you won't find many places in the US that can compete with Panama for convenience, capabilities or access. The US prices for marine electronics are better, but the Panama prices for welding, hydraulics, autoelectrics, heating/cooling, etc are way better than the US - and you can walk into any of these places and get things done while you wait.

If you don't want to install stuff yourself, there are highly trained people there. These guys are working on the commercial ships also. But installing new NMEA2000 gear and simple 12V electrics is child's play - you can do it.

We took a lightning strike in Panama that took out pretty much every system on the boat. It cost us ~$30K for an extensive refit with many higher-end electronics. I would estimate a good, more basic refit of nav electronics and basic electrics (inverter, charger, etc) as $10-15K.

I installed everything myself and did it in a week total - including pulling out all the old nmea0183 stuff and equipment, installing a N2K network and equipment and the same with much electrics.

The above isn't a comment on the suitability of the boat in Panama - just comments on getting things done in Panama.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:12   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We took a lightning strike in Panama that took out pretty much every system on the boat. It cost us ~$30K for an extensive refit with many higher-end electronics. I would estimate a good, more basic refit of nav electronics and basic electrics (inverter, charger, etc) as $10-15K.

I installed everything myself and did it in a week total - including pulling out all the old nmea0183 stuff and equipment, installing a N2K network and equipment and the same with much electrics.

The above isn't a comment on the suitability of the boat in Panama - just comments on getting things done in Panama.

Mark
Good info, much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2013, 20:24   #85

Boat: wildcat catamaran 10.5m prrrfection

baobabmarine.com in Fiji has a listing for a wildcat. needs some maintenance, heck you could be in the islands and fixing her up!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31   #86

Boat: Nautitech 395, 40ft

Have a look at Dufour Nautitech's - 395/40/44 etc - steer clear of ex charter boats however!
Old 10-02-2014, 19:44   #87

Boat: Trintella 44 sailing from the Caribbean to Boston.

Quote:

Besides electronics, what else could need to be fixed after a lightning strike?

Would it generate problems on rigging?
Old 10-02-2014, 19:48   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickpye View Post
Have a look at Dufour Nautitech's - 395/40/44 etc - steer clear of ex charter boats however!
Steer clear of ex charter Nautitech's or just in general? Why is this such a common blanket statement?
Old 10-02-2014, 20:25   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post
Besides electronics, what else could need to be fixed after a lightning strike?

Would it generate problems on rigging?
Electrics also go bad - we lost batteries and alternators, as well as a solenoid, windlass motor and a few other stuff. I suspect a breaker or two are weaker than before since they trip just below their rating now.

Electrical wiring can melt. Holes are often blown through the hull itself, and thruhulls can be damaged or blown out. And yes, rigging could also be effected, but probably less so. I could imagine swages cracking or wire strands weakening.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:43   #90

Boat: Trintella 44 sailing from the Caribbean to Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Electrics also go bad - we lost batteries and alternators, as well as a solenoid, windlass motor and a few other stuff. I suspect a breaker or two are weaker than before since they trip just below their rating now.

Electrical wiring can melt. Holes are often blown through the hull itself, and thruhulls can be damaged or blown out. And yes, rigging could also be effected, but probably less so. I could imagine swages cracking or wire strands weakening.

Mark
Thanks Mark, your msg is really comprehensive and makes it clear what it would take to refit a boat stricken by lightening. Specially the mention to "holes often blown through the hull itself" makes me feel that a boat stricken by lightening would be a much bigger headache than installing new electronics/electrics.

Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: