Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2015, 15:23   #16

Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: Nav lights on a catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post

Do you perceive that running a masthead trilight with a steaming light forward, deck red and green, and a stern light, all at the same time does or does not impair the distinctive character of the prescribed lights?
Yes, don't do it. Either run the deck lights and the steaming light if motoring, or the tri-color or the deck lights if sailing.

I have seen people running tri-colors and deck lights together. This definitely can lead to confusion. If with the steaming light, from the port side at a distance you will see Red over White over Red which are the lights for a vessel restricted in its ability to manouver - which means that you are claiming rights which you do not have as a sailboat. The stbd side shows green over white over green which as far as I can tell has no meaning in the rules, but would be confusing. If done without the steaming light, the port view asserts your boat is aground (red over red), and the stbd view (green over green) is just confusing. The view from the stern is equally confusing, a white over a white is typically the steaming lights for a larger vessel, though you would be wondering where the side lights were.

Please everyone remember that correct lights are used to avoid collisions. Showing incorrect lights can only interfere with another vessels ability to correctly understand what you are doing and the different actions expected of each vessel.

Back to the original question, I have seen many sail boats in the Med (maybe just French?) not showing the correct lights for motoring. I wonder if the inland rules in France or other Mediterranean countries are different from Colregs?

Mark.

Old 20-05-2015, 15:49   #17

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
"There is no rule against showing additional lights as long as the additional lights "do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of the prescribed lights."

Do you perceive that running a masthead trilight with a steaming light forward, deck red and green, and a stern light, all at the same time does or does not impair the distinctive character of the prescribed lights?
Well, that's a good question. I was just quoting the rules about additional lights. I would interpret, however, applying Mark's logic, that showing the additional "nav" lights (vs, e.g., cruise ship "city" lights) in inappropriate combinations does impair the distinctive character of the prescribed lights in that multiple white, red, and green lights in non-prescribed patterns could be interpreted as multiple boats or gibberish. I recognize this is not a perfect answer, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Dave

Old 21-05-2015, 09:35   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

I have seen sailing vessels with tricolour, running lights, steaming lights, deck lights all on - - when quizzed the usual response is "I want to make sure that other people can see me so I just put everything on.

Remember, nav lights tell a story to other vessels, using the correct lights enables others to work out what kind of vessel you are, what direction you are travelling and whether or not you are likely to pass clear.

So, keep it simple, use the correct lights and don't try to be clever by inventing possible interpretations of the rules. If you don't know your lights, please, please learn them!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: