Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 02:57   #46

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Nautitech Open 46

oops, sorry i though my comment was common sense but offended some.

I just came across such example in my search. Only 1x. I have not seen that effect in any other light boat that I had closer look.

Example of truly well built & light was Fredys.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53   #47

Gary, did they tell you what is the factory lead time for new orders?
jimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:27   #48

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimba View Post
Gary, did they tell you what is the factory lead time for new orders?
I spoke to the factory Rep yesterday and the next available production slot for the Open 46 is for a Feb 2017 delivery. Further, he indicated that several charter companies are about to place orders which means that delivery could be pushed out to late 2017. While at LGM the factory indicated that 20 boats were already on order, so that number has gone up since the show.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:31   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveda View Post
Gjorgensen, i specifically asked that at LGM and was told, in no uncertain terms that the bulkheads are tabbed and not glued-in "like other French builders starting with L", they added. Needs to be double-checked of course, but that was the answer.
Nice. There's no reason not to do stuff like that other than laziness - the added weight is minimal. It's good to hear. This boat looks really promising.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I spoke to the factory Rep yesterday and the next available production slot for the Open 46 is for a Feb 2017 delivery. Further, he indicated that several charter companies are about to place orders which means that delivery could be pushed out to late 2017. While at LGM the factory indicated that 20 boats were already on order, so that number has gone up since the show.

Gary
Ouch! With 1-2 month delay you'd be looking at at least a full year before delivery. Hopefully they will be able to ramp up production to sustain the demand.
jimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveda View Post
Gjorgensen, i specifically asked that at LGM and was told, in no uncertain terms that the bulkheads are tabbed and not glued-in "like other French builders starting with L", they added. Needs to be double-checked of course, but that was the answer.
Say what! They are proud of tabbed in bulkheads!! That is a new level of stupidity.

I wouldnt be going to far in a boat where the bulkheads aren't glassed in fully.

I must be misunderstanding what that salesman means. Whatever he/she means there is only one way to build and that is to fully glass in the bulkheads.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Say what! They are proud of tabbed in bulkheads!! That is a new level of stupidity.

I wouldnt be going to far in a boat where the bulkheads aren't glassed in fully.

I must be misunderstanding what that salesman means. Whatever he/she means there is only one way to build and that is to fully glass in the bulkheads.
What does tabbing mean to you? What it means to me is several layers of fiber glass each glassed in between the bulkhead and the hull. Each layer of cloth being larger in size than the previous one. That is how all the better boats are built, at least in my opinion.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 14:18   #53

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Beneteau and it's Lagoon and Jeanneau subsidiaries typically do not tab in bulkheads. They're edge glued with Plexus to the hull, liner, and deck, at least on all the newer models I've been on.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:52   #54

Yes edge gluing is much faster and much cheaper than tabbing. There are mixed reviews on how well edge glued bulkheads will stand up. I personally think it's probably just fine for the intended use of these boats. If I was planning on using my boat for extensive offshore sailing I'd really do my homework on the subject. I recently read that Bavaria was edge gluing AND tabbing the main bulkheads, that fairly impressive and might suggest that they have their reasons as it is labor intensive.
Old 06-05-2016, 18:37   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Okay, I think there is a nomenclature issue at play, Here to tab a bulkhead means literally that - to put a tab of glue in a few (random) spots round the edge, coved/coving means to run a glue line around the bulkhead join and Glassed in, means to literally glass in the blukhead as an integral part of the boat. The first practice has no place at sea, the second is for little light day boats, only the last should be used by any production builder
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 20:28   #56

Ok I'very only heard of tabbing on bulkheads as per my note above, maybe others on the site have different views. Either way I understand your views.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:49   #57

Boat: None

Nautitech need to pay attention to the quality of stainless they are supplied ... I keep seeing Open 40's and an open 46 that have three vertical rust streaks on outer hulls, each time it's a screw in an outlet for exhaust water etc ...
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 10:29   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Nautitech need to pay attention to the quality of stainless they are supplied ... I keep seeing Open 40's and an open 46 that have three vertical rust streaks on outer hulls, each time it's a screw in an outlet for exhaust water etc ...
I am taking a tour of the factory tomorrow, I will tell them.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:47   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Jaap. Light air performance looks pretty good, pointing at 30 degrees AWA in 10kn TWS and making 6kn. Will be nice to see how she performs with 20TWS on the beam. Hopefully some more test vids to follow..
Is there any truth to this? Seems like good performance to me for a keel cat. I'd like to see some more information on this boat from actual people sailing it, not just advertising. Not many are available. I looked into chartering one that isn't a flybridge, and there is one in La Paz, Mexico which isn't ideal for a shorter charter trip. Can't find any available in the Carribean. The only way I'm not going to get my wife to agree to La Paz, Mexico just yet.

I certainly want to see/witness this boat sail upwind while loaded for cruising before I purchase. If it does, maybe I can let go of the Outremer dream. I saw the flybridge version at the Miami boat show. I really like the layout. Obviously some things need tweaking as in all boats, but I am a believer in the helm positions as long as you have a chart table as well.
Wyered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:33   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyered1 View Post
Is there any truth to this? Seems like good performance to me for a keel cat. I'd like to see some more information on this boat from actual people sailing it, not just advertising. Not many are available. I looked into chartering one that isn't a flybridge, and there is one in La Paz, Mexico which isn't ideal for a shorter charter trip. Can't find any available in the Carribean. The only way I'm not going to get my wife to agree to La Paz, Mexico just yet.

I certainly want to see/witness this boat sail upwind while loaded for cruising before I purchase. If it does, maybe I can let go of the Outremer dream. I saw the flybridge version at the Miami boat show. I really like the layout. Obviously some things need tweaking as in all boats, but I am a believer in the helm positions as long as you have a chart table as well.
The only Open 46 that I could find for charter is in Croatia. We have it booked the first week in May for 7 days. I plan to take video and will provide comments on performance that we see from that week.