Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 16:52   #16

Re: Nautitec Cats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRehab View Post
The anchor is still an issue. First order was to replace the damaged roller. now I need to extend the roller out so the chain does not destroy the new roller. Still a problem. Will have to wait until after hurricane season before I will get to test the modified roller
Do you know if this is an issue on the smaller 40 as well? Thanks and best of luck!

JESSWILLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 18:05   #17

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

The Nautitech 40 and 44, 441,442 all share this problem. I saw several modified with a central roller and a compression beam but it is a significant change to the boat. No clever answer yet

CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 13:25   #18

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

I bought a Nautitech 442 6 months ago and sailed 10,000 NM across Atlantic, Caribbean, US east coast and mediterranean. This gave me experience on all types of conditions.

I agree with the bad helm position, on the extreme back of each hull. Not only it is uncomfortable and seems unsecure, but the mainsail sheet is across the helm on downwind and can damage the wheel or the screens on the column.
The reefing system is entirely at mast foot, so reserved to sportsmen - women ! After some training it is rather easy, but this seems somewhat old-fashioned since the trend is now to have everything from the cockpit. After taking the third reef, you can be sure to come back wet...!

The anchor on the port bow is so a stupid idea that the previous owner had changed it and returned the windlass and anchor bilge to the mast foot. So no issue.
My holding tanks are narrow enough to let a decent place for the toilet users, but the head is not too large.
There is a real lack of a technical room, where all the sensitive gear could take place, e.g. battery banks, converters, controls, relays, etc. This is mainly under the bed in the port aft cabin, unpleasant access if you need to work there.
Otherwise the boat makes a good job while sailing, not slamming much, and with a rather good behaviour upwind, though not at a very sharp angle : 60° to true wind is the maximum, less is not possible : you cannot trim the genoa more, or it will touch the spreaders.
At anchor in tropical areas, it is a dream : this is the real aim of this boat.
Life onboard is nice either while sailing or anchoring : comfortable cabins with many lockers, very nice galley, fridge-deep freezer work well, much storage for food and tools.

All my passengers and crews enjoyed the boat despite of some drawbacks.
Old 15-06-2019, 05:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubb View Post
I bought a Nautitech 442 6 months ago and sailed 10,000 NM across Atlantic, Caribbean, US east coast and mediterranean. This gave me experience on all types of conditions.

I agree with the bad helm position, on the extreme back of each hull. Not only it is uncomfortable and seems unsecure, but the mainsail sheet is across the helm on downwind and can damage the wheel or the screens on the column.
The reefing system is entirely at mast foot, so reserved to sportsmen - women ! After some training it is rather easy, but this seems somewhat old-fashioned since the trend is now to have everything from the cockpit. After taking the third reef, you can be sure to come back wet...!

The anchor on the port bow is so a stupid idea that the previous owner had changed it and returned the windlass and anchor bilge to the mast foot. So no issue.
My holding tanks are narrow enough to let a decent place for the toilet users, but the head is not too large.
There is a real lack of a technical room, where all the sensitive gear could take place, e.g. battery banks, converters, controls, relays, etc. This is mainly under the bed in the port aft cabin, unpleasant access if you need to work there.
Otherwise the boat makes a good job while sailing, not slamming much, and with a rather good behaviour upwind, though not at a very sharp angle : 60° to true wind is the maximum, less is not possible : you cannot trim the genoa more, or it will touch the spreaders.
At anchor in tropical areas, it is a dream : this is the real aim of this boat.
Life onboard is nice either while sailing or anchoring : comfortable cabins with many lockers, very nice galley, fridge-deep freezer work well, much storage for food and tools.

All my passengers and crews enjoyed the boat despite of some drawbacks.
My sailing experience was very different. While the jib is new my old main is at end of life and will be replaced next year. I was sailing from Carriacou to Grenada and making slow progress gaining on a 47’ Leopard until we headed upwind to stay outside the kick em jenny exclusion zone. In 16 kts apparent wind we made 8.5kts at 45 deg and very quickly sailed upwind past the lagoon. We also had sailed at 45-50 deg between St Vincent and Bequia. Here we sailed at 8kts with about 80% jib in 22kts apparent. Perhaps in light wind upwind angles grow larger.
Old 15-06-2019, 06:35   #20

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRehab View Post
In 16 kts apparent wind we made 8.5kts at 45 deg and very quickly sailed upwind past the lagoon. We also had sailed at 45-50 deg between St Vincent and Bequia.
What degrees are you talking about ? If it is apparent wind, 45° apparent is equal to 60° true (more or less), so we have the same results.
Old 16-06-2019, 03:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubb View Post
What degrees are you talking about ? If it is apparent wind, 45° apparent is equal to 60° true (more or less), so we have the same results.
45deg apparent. I felt the jib sheeting angles were well set up for upwind and reaching. I rigged a snatch block to work as a barber hauler for downwind.
Old 28-06-2019, 21:38   #22

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSWILLMS View Post
Do you know if this is an issue on the smaller 40 as well? Thanks and best of luck!
I've owned the "smaller 40" for 5 years now and sailed throughout south-east asia. I also researched changing the windlass/roller position. There's a central locker just in front of the mast which would work well as a chain locker but it would be a major job, including the need to split the single piece trampoline into two.

I now think the original design was smart, for a cruising cat. There is no obvious hobby-horsing resulting from the chain weight fwd. I have experimented briefly to the extent of sailing with all the chain lying on the trampoline and there was no obvious difference.

I should add though, I use 8mm chain rather than 10mm and I only carry 50m of it. Anchor is 20kg Rocna. I have 30m of nylon line spliced to the chain to extend scope and the single bridle from the stbd side is also 30m so that, if extra scope is needed, the chain hook can be close to the upper end of the chain and extended by 30m on both sides. Normally the stbd bridle is limited to the width of the cross-beam. Generally I try to avoid anchorages deeper than 10m so the 50m chain is sufficient.

In summary, the design seems almost outrageous but in practice, it works..

chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote