Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 18:40   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: My "post mortem" from the Miami Boat Show

Scarlet,

You had a FP 44 as OK? Yick! IMO of course.

If that then I think you missed the South African section of docks. The Maverick 440 is my favorite. Lots of standard items that are on the Leopard 44 options list. Multiple thousands of stuff. Lots of the little stuff.

Another really good boat overall is the St. Francis. Did you see that one?

It seems like always, the boat I want I cannot afford. Even a 07 Leopard 43 I just saw an ad for.

I did not climb down into the Neel hull but a smaller person than me said that once one reaches the engine there is no room on the sides to get at it. Sorta like a monohull........oh wait!

After having a Gemini the Leopard 39 seems plenty big and the engine access looks OK.........unless you compare it to the Maverick..........heh.

Best of luck.

How soon does one have to book a room in Annapolis to be able to walk to the show and food like we did in Miami?? (Holiday Inn across the street = easy)
Old 19-02-2014, 19:18   #17

Boat: Great Harbour 47 Trawler - Seven Tenths

Scarlet,
the boat shows are fun for sure.
walking on/off the boats often depends on the salesperson aboard, the number of folks already aboard and what you noticed on the last few boats. after a while they start to melt together.
we really like the Leopards - and if you really like them, I would highly recommend chartering one for a week or two and put some wind in the sails. We sailed a Robertson and Caine 45 a while ago and loved it. A week in the BVI is always a plus too.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 19:19   #18

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Hi Therapy!
I can't believe I'm saying this.. but.. no.. I didn't go on the Maverick or the St. Francis... The St. Francis was parked right next to the Royal Cape.. we went on the Royal... but skipped the St. Francis... We wanted to see it.. but it was tied up with a pretty big gap between the transom and the dock... because my husband's knee is still in the healing process.. he didn't want to jump across the gap, and risk hurting it.. (hopefully we will see this one at Annapolis.. )

As for the Maverick... I can't imagine how I could have missed it... I don't even recall passing it. And we spent 2 full days at Strictly Sail... I am kicking myself for missing it! grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Oh, and lucky you that you could walk right to the show!! We booked a 5***** hotel within walking distance, and we found out the hotel was going out of business about 10 days before we left.. couldn't get anything under $500 anywhere NEAR the show... so, we stayed on Homestead AFB...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:05   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I suppose one has to sail for awhile before they can appreciate the Neel Tri.

Atlantic crossing in your future? The Neel will beat you by a week!!
Personally I think the Neel Tri is nearly the ugliest boat I've seen built and if it really could beat me by a week I could care less. And I have sailed for a little while.

Scarlet, it is too bad you did miss the St. Francis but if you are on a budget, that boat is probably out of it. There are old ones for sale at what I consider a reasonable price.
2005 St. Francis St. Francis 50 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 19-02-2014, 20:07   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Hi Therapy!
I can't believe I'm saying this.. but.. no.. I didn't go on the Maverick or the St. Francis... The St. Francis was parked right next to the Royal Cape.. we went on the Royal... but skipped the St. Francis... We wanted to see it.. but it was tied up with a pretty big gap between the transom and the dock... because my husband's knee is still in the healing process.. he didn't want to jump across the gap, and risk hurting it.. (hopefully we will see this one at Annapolis.. )

As for the Maverick... I can't imagine how I could have missed it... I don't even recall passing it. And we spent 2 full days at Strictly Sail... I am kicking myself for missing it! grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Oh, and lucky you that you could walk right to the show!! We booked a 5***** hotel within walking distance, and we found out the hotel was going out of business about 10 days before we left.. couldn't get anything under $500 anywhere NEAR the show... so, we stayed on Homestead AFB...
Ouch!
We found the hotel years ago. Crappy if you are used to good lodgings but I am not picky at all. I am low budget.

I hope the Maverick is at the Annapolis show for you. You should not miss it but I don't know your budget. there are no used ones out there. Unlike the big builders.

Are you in the market for new? I will have to try and find a 5-10 year old cat if I go on a cat. It has to be a cat for me though.
Old 19-02-2014, 20:19   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Personally I think the Neel Tri is nearly the ugliest boat I've seen built and if it really could beat me by a week I could care less. And I have sailed for a little while.
I'm curious, have been on the Neel??

It's not for everyone.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:33   #22

Quote:
I'm curious, have been on the Neel??

It's not for everyone.
DotDun,
I don't really want to get in an argument about this boat unless you insist. You like it, great. I think it looks stupid and ugly - that's my opinion. The only reason I commented on your original post was your dig towards Scarlet about "having to sail for awhile to appreciate it". That comment I don't agree with.
Old 19-02-2014, 20:42   #23

Boat: TBA

Hi Scarlet,

Now you have seen many boats you need to settle on a size that will suit your budget, your looking at boats from $400k K to a million at the momement and while this is nice it won't sort out too much for you unless you can afford it (my dream is 60+ft boats but my budget is 44Ft max) when you come to terms with that then you will find a lot more clarity in what you need.

you already dislike some of the brands,thats ok but seem to like others so you have started to narrow the gap, don't discount good quality used as some are fully set up and far cheaper than the new boat with no extras.

boats are designed with functions for use in mind, some are really just coastal cruisers,some better Water boats">blue water boats than others. I'm sure that all of the boats you looked at are pretty,but how many are going to suit your actual purpose?

you have a few posts on cf but you have't really said what you want to do with a boat (my apologies if i missed it) now that you have gone over the show boats you should be able to get to a size and then narrow down the field, it is daunting but challenging to pick "your perfect boat" good luck hope it all goes well.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 21:00   #24

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
DotDun,
I don't really want to get in an argument about this boat unless you insist. You like it, great. I think it looks stupid and ugly - that's my opinion. The only reason I commented on your original post was your dig towards Scarlet about "having to sail for awhile to appreciate it". That comment I don't agree with.
No argument, you can dislike it all you want.

No dig at Scarlet, she admits she is a newbie. Most newbies are more impressed with the amenities vs. sailing capabilities, hence my point.

I was simply curious if your dislike came from pictures or actually seeing the boat. Personally, I wasn't impressed until I saw it in person.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 21:20   #25

I got your point but it would have been better to say it as you just posted instead of implying that lack of ability created her opinion. From my perspective, and what has been born out here on this forum thousands of times, is that amenities, especially on catamarans, are equal to or more important than sailing capabilities. I really like them, amenities that is, and without them my wife would be done with boating.

I haven't been on one, nor was I able to personally check out the Flying Hawaiian, don't like either. Like Yeloya, I am surprised by the Nautitech comments. I have been on one and thought the fit and finish was well above Leopard, FP, and Lagoon. But that was a 14 year old version. I do agree that Leopard makes one attractive boat for Island hopping.
Old 19-02-2014, 21:44   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Scarlet! While in Annapolis, visit the Beneteau Oceanis line. The stern has a platform that can be extended flat/raised/lowered. This makes it very easy to load provisions from a dinghie, and to get in/out. If I did not know any better, I'd say this line of mono-hull boats were specifically designed for the handicapped. In addition, this platform makes it easier on you when you're ready to get into/out of the water when you're ready for a swim. (Disclaimer: Not associated with Beneteau Oceanis in any capacity.)

Mauritz
Engineering simplicity yet elegant.
Old 20-02-2014, 05:11   #27
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Pallaran, no disagreement that for many people, amenities and space drive the sales of catamarans as much as sailing performance and comfort when underway. That being said, there is something to be said about the suggestion that Scarlet's views on various boats not only may, but probably will change once she has had some sailing experience. Things like adequate bridgedeck clearance and the lack of a blunt leading edge to the bridgedeck, reasonable windage and a reasonably low Cg, well organized running rigging, a well designed anchoring arrangement, good protection for the helm from sun and rain, a wet locker near the companionway, a large nav station with seating (again, preferably near the companionway), decent ventilation, rounded corners to interior joinerwork, fiddles on counters/tables (yes, things do move around when underway even in a cat), at least one top-load refrigeration unit (for the same reason), good and safe access to the diesels even when underway, etc, all become valuable 'amenities' and much more 'attractive' once you have gained sailing experience.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:17   #28

Quote:
No argument, you can dislike it all you want.

No dig at Scarlet, she admits she is a newbie. Most newbies are more impressed with the amenities vs. sailing capabilities, hence my point.

I was simply curious if your dislike came from pictures or actually seeing the boat. Personally, I wasn't impressed until I saw it in person.
Scarlet: Don't forget as a cruiser you will spend 95% of your time at anchor or dock. While you need a seaworthy boat for the cruising grounds you expect, I would sacrafice some performance for amenities (been cruising for around 20 years with 7 full time).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:59   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Ouch!

Are you in the market for new? I will have to try and find a 5-10 year old cat if I go on a cat. It has to be a cat for me though.
Used!! That's why we are going to the shows... checking out this years models which will be the ones we will buy 5-7 years down the line.... I just can't see losing $200,000-$300,000 in depreciation...
Old 20-02-2014, 06:02   #30

Quote:
DotDun,
The only reason I commented on your original post was your dig towards Scarlet about "having to sail for awhile to appreciate it". That comment I don't agree with.

Just wanted to jump in and say I didn't take it as a dig. Dotdun was absolutely right! I'm a beginner, and I have no experience... so.. no offense at all. But, you are really kind to defend me..

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show