Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2008, 11:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
My first multihull capsize

On a recent vacation in Mexico the resort had a fleet of Hobie Wave catamarans available. Now these are not the fast high powered cats that one usually thinks of but are designed for beginners and all around family fun. I was out solo one day with a nice breeze and about a 3 foot swell. I was able to fly a hull several times and even stuffed the leeward bow into a few waves but I was suprised how the boat would recover. The next day I went out with my non-sailor brother in similar conditions. He wanted to fly a hull but with us both on the windward hull there was no way. At first I had him move down to the middle of the tramp but still no luck. So I had him slid down to the leeward hull and we were able to fly a hull for extended time on several runs thru the sailing area. It was a delicate balancing act but finally a combination of a gust and stuffing the bow flipped us over. It was 100% attributed to operator foolishness but the water was warm, my brother thought it the best part of the whole experience and we had the boat back on it's feet in a few minutes.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 11:52   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust View Post
So I had him slid down to the leeward hull and we were able to fly a hull for extended time on several runs thru the sailing area. It was a delicate balancing act but finally a combination of a gust and stuffing the bow flipped us over. It was 100% attributed to operator foolishness but the water was warm, my brother thought it the best part of the whole experience and we had the boat back on it's feet in a few minutes.
Maybe you could tell us how to right a cat so quickly, so when we trip up our 36-50 plus foot long cats we could all do the same.
Sounds like fun to me.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 15:43   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
Just use a righting bucket!

Quote:
Just attach it to the boat, with the hook that is provided, throw over the upper hull and fill the bucket with water! With the bucket strap over your shoulder, lean your weight out from the boat. The bag comes clear of the water and up the cat will come!!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 16:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We did something similar. There was a line tied to the mast and by draping it over the upper hull while standing on the lower bow forcing it under and leaning out we were able to pull the boat back upright. These are small 13 ft cats. Now as for your bigger cats if you had a real heavy crew member....

Patrick, age 9
Old 17-02-2008, 23:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I used to own a Hobie 18. You have righting lines already attached to the underside of the trampoline. It does take two adult men to right one. A little terminology...stuffing the leeward bow is called a pitchpole. ...don't know if that is spelled right, but you got the idea.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 00:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
In the right conditions, those Hobies could sure fly. Great fun. My first sailign boat was a Paper tiger. I had so much fun. I highly modified it to strengthen it up and could get her up on one hull. The bow shape was such that she would scoot over most coppy conditions, but if you got the nose under something, it was all over in a split second. The number of times I went out the front as she would spin around on the one nose. Hurt like hell as I hit the stay or mast. But I woudl get right back up and push as hard as I could again. Loved it. Hrs and Hrs of fun.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 04:21   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Nothing to do with big cats but a few tips on righting a Hobie or similar small fast cat.

If you are going to sail a small cat fast, you have to know how far you can push her. The only way to find where the limit is and get the feel of the boat is to exceed the limit a few times. That means you are going to dump her a few times. That experience also removes the fear of spilling her.

As David points out, prerig your righting lines.

The wind under the trampoline is a big part of what causes her to flip. Before righting, swim her around to the mast is up wind, that way the wind pressure is helping to right her or at least is not fighting you.

While swimming around her, remember to uncleat the sheets. When she comes up, you don’t want her sailing away while you’re still in the water.

If she does try to sail, it is easy to grab a rudder and steer her into the wind. Just be prepared to do it so the surprise factor doesn’t let the moment slip away.

Non of these tactics would work with my 38’ Prout, but then she has never offer to fly a hull or pitch pole.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 02:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Also if you go turtle be prepared to wait a bit. Throw the righting line over the hull and lean out and wait.

The mast on most boats will fill with water and you have to wait for it to drain out. I have seen it take 5-8 minutes.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 03:38   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Unless it's stuck in the mud! Did that, once!
Old 19-02-2008, 17:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These boats had a flotation device at the masthead to prevent turtling. My own daysailor has the mast filled with styrofoam. I have also had the experience of sticking it in the mud on my first boat as a kid and also having the boat come up draped in seaweed when I turtled it in a weedy area.

Patrick, age 9

Tags
capsize, multihull