Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 22:49   #1

Mumby Aluminium Cruising Cats

G'day

I am trying to find more information on the Mumby catamarans from people who have expereince with them or know of them. I have seen on the web a Mumby 48' aluminium cat (at YachtHub.com). The boat looks nicely finished off and looks like it would be good boat to cruise in and live aboard.

I do not have any experience in sailing cats apart from a short cruise on a Prout 37 with our friends.

The vessel looks fast and talking to the owner performs well in heavy weather. My wife and I are looking at starting our sailing end of 2010.

Interested to hearing views.

Thanks
Kicha

[Edit: as Factor suggested, I've moved this post to it's own thread in the Multihull Forum. -- Hud]
Kicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 02:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Might be worth reposting in the multihull section here - or finding a dedicated discussion place for multis or in fact both. I am going to look at that boat for a friend overseas in a couple of weeks when it gets in from FIJI. I have sailed a few of these (and similar Easton and Kerr cats) and they all seem good sail boats - some better finished than others.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 03:58   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
If you have little experience of cats, there are a few points that you need to be aware off

A cat is sensitive to weight carried, thus designs are evolving that allow very fast cats that carry little extra weight, and others that are designed for cruising with an ability to carry more weight, but are not as fast. There are of course some cross overs. One way around this is to have longer hulls, but smaller accomodation, thus chopping out a lot of weight.

I do not know the particular cat you are looking at, so cannot comment on what type it is, but you need to decide what sort of use you will have for the boat - long distance cruising with 4-6 people versus sprint round the bay and overnights (slight exageration here for effect)

A Prout Snowgoose is firmly in the long distance cruise camp, with planning speeds not a lot faster than a similar length mono, especially if sufficient stuff onboard to keep the centre nacelle immersed. Nevertheless, a very good earlier cat design that has a great track history for long distance cruising.

If I had the money, a St Francis 50 would definitely be on the shopping list - however at the moment I have about enough for a pram dinghy
Old 19-07-2009, 04:10   #4

Hi Talbot,
Wife and I are planing to cruise around the globe hopefully starting end of next year. what I have seen so far on the web and readinng of the forum is that size does mater. We want to be able to make goos speeds on passages and be comftable while at anchor. The Mumby seems to be a good solid boat so we are keen to get more info on it or similar cats?
Old 19-07-2009, 04:46   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicha View Post
G'day

I am trying to find more information on the Mumby catamarans from people who have expereince with them or know of them. I have seen on the web a Mumby 48' aluminium cat (at YachtHub.com). The boat looks nicely finished off and looks like it would be good boat to cruise in and live aboard.

I do not have any experience in sailing cats apart from a short cruise on a Prout 37 with our friends.

The vessel looks fast and talking to the owner performs well in heavy weather. My wife and I are looking at starting our sailing end of 2010.

Interested to hearing views.

Thanks
Kicha

[Edit: as Factor suggested, I've moved this post to it's own thread in the Multihull Forum. -- Hud]
I had never seen a Mumby so I searched and found one online. It appears to be a very nice boat, with good deck clearance. Based on photos it appears to have moderate width hulls that could make good speed, yet have moderate load capacity.

One good thing about an aluminum boat is that you would be safer in a lightning storm, as crew would have less concern about lightning flashing through the interior of the hull. (Experts say being in a car is safe from lightning because you are surrounded by metal). On the other hand, you should check to be sure it was built with adequate flotation compartments, so it doesn't sink if holed or flipped. (Fiberglass/foam composite construction makes for unsinkable boats).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 06:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I dont know where you are Kicha - but keeping the boat under 15 metres has some huge advantages in Queensland Australia. Over 15 there are a whole heap of insane regulations that you start to have to comply with.

Australian Aluminium Cats -

Peter Kerr (Lizard Yachts) started with his lizard of Oz. He and his family lived on board and sailed and cruised for years. He went on to design and build a whole heap of aluminium boats. Really nice guy. Peter is still active in the field and is in Tin Can Bay in Queensland.

Owen Easton also lived and sailed his own boats and is still building bare shells in Brisbane in Qld. I haven't met Owen but people who have suggest he too is a nice guy.

Tim Mumby - met him briefly once, about 5 years ago he designed and was involved in the build of a number of 48 foot cats - called the Cyber. As far as I know he has been busily circumnavigating for the last few years. There was (is?) a link to another baot builder in Brisbane with the early Cybers - may still be - a guy called Wayne Hill, Wayne's web site has some data on the first boats - but it appears that he is looking to build the design in Composite rather than aluminium now.

Wayne hills webiste with commentary on the first 4 cybers. select the windspeed 48

Crowthers (mainly in the era after Loch - I think) also designed a number of cruising cats in aluminium.

I really like aluminium boats - two big disadvantages - anti-foul - not known for its performance and - dissimilar metals - you need to be vigilant about ensure they dont get together.

Reputedly the Cyber boats all perform very very well and appear to have good cruising load carrying capability.

(there is in my view a clear lineage from Lizard of oz in terms of hull shape - but thats not a matter I think I need to explore here.)

As I indicated earlier - a friend overseas has asked me to have a look at the Cyber thats currently on the market - I look forward to that.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 06:33   #7

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Tim Mumby does a nice design job on his Mumby 48. It can be home built or professionally built. It has double crash compartments at both ends of both hulls and can be nicely finished off on the inside with FRP moulds. Most aluminum boats end up looking home built on the inside. The only sticking question is keeping the aluminum hull isolated from electrical stray current corrosion, but with proper electrical wiring design that is addressable. I'd like to find a builder that has built one to discuss price. Anyone know one.

ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 07:54   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
TRIM is a sweet looking boat from every angle.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 07:59   #9

Hi Factodr,

Thanks for the advice, we are from West side of Auz but working in UAE at present. At end of our contract we plan to take off once we get use to the boat where ever we by the boat. Trim looks good and so we are very interested in finding out more.

What are the new regulations for vessels over 15 meters? Not that we are looking at going bigger.

cheers
Old 19-07-2009, 10:31   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Nice looking boat - looks good.
Old 19-07-2009, 10:40   #11

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
That is a great looking cat!
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 01:08   #12

Kicha

Hi if you are after owen eastons detail i can provide them to you - Goggle Easton 43 catamaran should find few for sale - Owen will build to lock up for you - plus mast - his boats sail well - around 7 knots just on jib

Hope this can help you
Smavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:48   #13

Many thanks Smavo for your offer. If this vessels goes than I will just keep looking and any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 20-07-2009, 11:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrhawke View Post
The only sticking question is keeping the aluminum hull isolated from electrical stray current corrosion, but with proper electrical wiring design that is addressable.
Aluminum hulls are not prone to electrolysis if you do a few things....

Do not ground your DC system to the hull. This might break a few ABYC rules, but what you want is a "floating" DC system.

Epoxy coat the entire hull with multiple layers.

Have some anodes welded to the hull and replace them when they are more than 50% gone.

Do not use copper based anti-foulant paint. With TBT being banned now, whats available now is horrible so you will just have to scrub the hull more often.

Isolate your shore power from stray DC currents.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 21:13   #15

Boat: ex lizard 42
I had the good fortune to sail on a Tim Mumby 48F catamaran Cyberfor 2000nmiles -Brisbane to Tonga ,most of it against the wind and it totally sold me on its speed and seagoing capabilitys.i have since brought his plans and have started to build one.there are a couple of companys building his designs to any stage try. Harwood marine group Australia or Thailand faraway yachts?. the lizard and eastons are good boats but don't come close in performance.see Langkawi race blogs
seaman is offline   Reply With Quote