Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 16:05   #16

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Multihull weekenders for mobility impaired

Sorry, thinwater, see your PM now on my profile - thanks very much! Will certainly get in touch.

Thanks for the comments on the Mac, mstrebe, that was actually on the list because of its trailerability, fast motoring speed, and availability everywhere. Totally see how it could be a pain to set up - I use to rig a Telstar 28 (new version) every year, and trying to get the forestay on was a huge PITA, and often required me standing on the furling drum while someone else edged out on the adjustable sprit to force the clevis pin in. The mirage kayak looks awesome! My uncle owns a non-sail version with the Mirage drive and it is pretty great. Worse comes to worse, we can always do some serious camping in the O'Day skiff with a boom tent, sleeping bags and cushions, or just do some daysailing in other places with it, if we end up with something too onerous to trailer and set up.

I'll take a look at the boats for the severely-handicapped suggested by Howaya and jreiter as well (thanks!). My parents are certainly not there, and hopefully won't be, but there are probably some good ideas there. The biggest concern is that if one falls in the water, either under sail or at anchor, neither is strong enough to lift the other out without great mechanical assistance, and honestly not skilled enough yet to position the boat to do so. We'll work on that. An easy way to get back in the boat from the water, without assistance and without having to do any kind of pullup, is critical.

Checked out the boatshow list and it looks like only a few small pocket cruiser builders are going to be present: DragonFly, Compac, West Wight, and Seaward. Still will be fun to go and get in the spirit of things! Thanks again for the continued advice!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:30   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It just crossed my mind, take a look at the Maine Cat 30. We seriously considered one instead of the Corsair. It ticks off all your boxes pretty well, except for trailering.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 14:03   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Wow, Stumble, the MaineCat 30 is super pretty and you're right, ticks everything off pretty well! Thanks for suggesting it
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, mob, multihull