Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: If you won the lottery and the prize was a mono or catamaran which would you choose?
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new monohull 48 27.91%
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new cruising catamaran 38 22.09%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new monohull 3 1.74%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new catamaran 83 48.26%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2008, 02:28   #76
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Polynesians were not the first sailors. The oldest recovered boat hull was a mono hull. It's dated around 7000 to 8000yrs old. The oldest currently known boat is also a Mono hull and is dated around 9000yrs. Many other cultures through time used boats that were all mono. The first known double hulled boat was used around 500 AD.
But I imagine it was availability of materials, plus the sea's sailed that determined the original designs.

That doesn't prove that the Polynesians were not the first sailors.
It only proves that monohulls have been sinking for 9000 years.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:41   #77

Quote:
Polynesians were not the first sailors. The oldest recovered boat hull was a mono hull. It's dated around 7000 to 8000yrs old. The oldest currently known boat is also a Mono hull and is dated around 9000yrs. Many other cultures through time used boats that were all mono. The first known double hulled boat was used around 500 AD.
But I imagine it was availability of materials, plus the sea's sailed that determined the original designs.
I have to agree and disagree, I have a monohull (agree) , but I still think my boat is the oldest (disagree), that's why I want a new one., This time I want to try a cat.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 12:57   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
It only proves that monohulls have been sinking for 9000 years.
You know, there is probably some truth in that. It maybe why Asians have inhabited more islands on the face of the earth than any other race. If the Vikings made a Cat, maybe it would be them that are fighting for Land claims in Oz and NZ :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 13:02   #79

Boat: B24
Quote:
If the Vikings made a Cat, maybe it would be them that are fighting for Land claims

Vikings like the Spanish, Dutch, English, et al, inhabited continents, rather than islands…
Old 14-05-2008, 21:23   #80
One of Those

If you guys are into that stuff, and you ever get a chance, the Viking Ship Museum up in Norway is worth a side trip if you are in Oslo.
Old 14-05-2008, 21:45   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
up in Norway is worth a side trip if you are in Oslo.
I make a left where?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 03:52   #82
One of Those

Quote:
I make a left where?

around 800 AD. But I am pretty sure they didn't lean much to the left.
Old 15-05-2008, 05:02   #83

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
If you guys are into that stuff, and you ever get a chance, the Viking Ship Museum up in Norway is worth a side trip if you are in Oslo.
My boat would love to go there....give us a Google earth location.
:
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 06:53   #84
One of Those

Sure....it's right here, the cross shaped building. And it looks like there's an end slip available right down the hill:

Nice boat, btw. I didn't know Vikings were into AA. Probably a good thing, though. They tend to get rowdy when they drink. Go off invading other countries, get lost and end up in Canada, stuff like that.
Old 15-05-2008, 07:10   #85

Quote:
Sure....it's right here, the cross shaped building. And it looks like there's an end slip available right down the hill:

Nice boat, btw. I didn't know Vikings were into AA. Probably a good thing, though. They tend to get rowdy when they drink. Go off invading other countries, get lost and end up in Canada, stuff like that.
Thanks......a lot of Vikings probably should have been in AA. You tend to drink a lot when you rape and pillage. Up Helly AA is the name of the Viking new year still celebrated in Lerwick, Shetland Is. where my grandfather came from. Every year they build a 40' Viking long boat replica and burn it at the end of a week of heavy partying.

Old 15-05-2008, 08:27   #86
One of Those

hey, that sounds cool! Many years ago I was stuck in St. Margarets Hope, Orkney Islands, for weeks waiting for weather to settle down. We would drive to Kirkwall for entertainment, such as it was. Saw a largish party going on one night, and we pulled into what I think was a B&B kind of place where they were having a 'fancy dress' thing. There were several people in Viking costumes, and since I looked like one anyhow, they came up with enough pieces to outfit me as well. I had a metal hat with horns on it, some knee-high hairy boots, a sword, and a shield. And too friggen much single malt whisky.

I am not clear on what the reason for the celebration was, but it sounds like it might have been related to your thing in the Shetlands.
Old 15-05-2008, 08:41   #87

Quote:
hey, that sounds cool! Many years ago I was stuck in St. Margarets Hope, Orkney Islands, for weeks waiting for weather to settle down. We would drive to Kirkwall for entertainment, such as it was. Saw a largish party going on one night, and we pulled into what I think was a B&B kind of place where they were having a 'fancy dress' thing. There were several people in Viking costumes, and since I looked like one anyhow, they came up with enough pieces to outfit me as well. I had a metal hat with horns on it, some knee-high hairy boots, a sword, and a shield. And too friggen much single malt whisky.

I am not clear on what the reason for the celebration was, but it sounds like it might have been related to your thing in the Shetlands.
Lerwick is in the Orkney is.....I said Shetland Is because most people are more familiar with the name and general area it implies. Your were at the Up Helly AA party no doubt.
Old 15-05-2008, 09:09   #88
One of Those

Well, it well could have been. I couldnt think of any specific reason a bunch of drunken Scots would be wearing viking armor. Of course they attempted to explain it to me, but I dinnae ken. They talk as funny as the Wild Aberdoonians up there.

I spent something like three weeks in Mrs. Gunn's guest house in St. Margarets Hope. Waiting for sixty foot seas to subside enough for us to run out and plug a couple current meter oceanographic moorings in. What a place.
Old 15-05-2008, 09:42   #89

Quote:
Well, it well could have been. I couldnt think of any specific reason a bunch of drunken Scots would be wearing viking armor. Of course they attempted to explain it to me, but I dinnae ken. They talk as funny as the Wild Aberdoonians up there.

I spent something like three weeks in Mrs. Gunn's guest house in St. Margarets Hope. Waiting for sixty foot seas to subside enough for us to run out and plug a couple current meter oceanographic moorings in. What a place.
The drunken Scots were wearing the Viking armor because they consider themselves to be more of Norse decent than Scotish. I believe on occasion the Islands have tried to recede from Scotland and go under the Norwegian flag.

My first recorded ancestor name was a Viking acting as a tax collector in the Islands in 1207. The islands were Viking base camps and strong holds for running down into England on the week end to have a drink, and rape and pillage.

When I went to visit Lerwick years ago, the first big store I saw was a furniture store in Lerwick, with my first and last name across the marque.

I remember walking around town one morning and I was freezing my a## off, wearing a sweater and leather jacket. The all shop keepers had their doors wide open, and wearing not much more than light summer clothing and a rudy complexion, saying how nice and warm it was.

Not a tree standing on the island. I know why my grandfather left.
Old 15-05-2008, 16:57   #90
cruiser

Why is it that this sat photo makes me feel like puking?

It feels like you're flying by upside down!

Anyway, aside from the Irish side, I have 1/4 Christensen. Gave up the drinking, but giving up the boats... not so easy.

Quote:

ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull