Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you won the lottery and the prize was a mono or catamaran which would you choose?
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new monohull 48 27.91%
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new cruising catamaran 38 22.09%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new monohull 3 1.74%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new catamaran 83 48.26%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 18:40   #46

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I initiated this thread and poll. I have initiated several polls with a broad array of subjects over the few months that I have been posting on this site. Threads that I originate rarely (never) end up in arguments, nor is my intention to create arguments. I did not start sailing, or start participating on this site to argue with others. I do believe it is relavent and interesting to measure sailors evolving interests in the sport as a whole. It is a fact that SOME monohull sailors are now moving to cats and it is a fact that SOME monohull sailors would like to own a cat but cannot afford, or dont want to spend the money to do so at the present time. It is also possibly true, but certainly not proven, that cat owners that were once monohull owners, tend not to switch back to monohulls after they purchase a cat, so far anyway. This of course could change anytime. This poll was designed to measure these facts and trends. ALL POLLS are biased in some way, there is no way around this, especially with the basic software that CF has to create polls. The intention of the poll was NOT for multihull owners only, quite the contrary. Without monohullers particiapting in the poll it would have hardly been a poll at all. I originally posted the poll in the general forum and someone moved it to the multihull forum.

I enjoy sailing, period. If you enjoy sailing then we have a like interest, regardless of how many hulls you have. Not much to argue about.
Old 11-05-2008, 21:28   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
This poll was designed to measure these facts and trends.
For what purpose and what will the results prove anyway?
However, that is not the main issue. The main issue is that some are not behaving nice here and that is coming to an end right now. This Forum is intended to be a place where anyone and I mean anyone can post "safely". What I mean by safely is that the poster will not be ridiculed in anyway, thought of as inferior, talked to in a derogatory way, no matter what skill or experience they have or have not.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 00:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
For what purpose and what will the results prove anyway?
I did notice that you voted in this poll You little sneaky...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:10   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Someone had to stick up for mono's in the Lions Den. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:10   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
All depends on whether your keel is pointing to the Sea or Sky
Or laying quietly on the bottom of the ocean
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But I find puzzling the inability of some folk on CF.com to even countenance that others may have a genuinely held different opinion based on experiance and personal needs and their own understandings (however obtained), let alone be willing to simply agree to differ once views are exchanged.....
Hang on - yep I just went and checked and yep this is the forum marked MULTIHULL sail boats, probably find a few people here that want to talk about multis - funny that.

Quote:
In many respects I truly am not fundamently bothered what other folk do - Cat or Mono -
Phew thats a relief - I thought I was going to have to sell my boat to fit in with your views.

Said it before - I'll say it again

If you walk into a harley davidson based clubhouse and say HOGS are crap then expect to cop a touch up.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:02   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I promise to try to learn something (become smarter); if everyone else (more knowledgeable than I) will try to become nicer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08   #53

Maybe that multihullers tend to be defensive because they have had the experience on their type of boat and the other as they sail/live in them whatever, and most monohullers only experience of multihulls is what they have read, most of it out being of date and based on old designed/experience and with the racers.
I have a monohull and want a cat and I like both and they both have the like and dislikes - personal, choice.
I recently went to a boat show in the UK held by one of the biggest distrbtuors of Lagoon, Beneteau and Marten, having looked at the Lagoons I went on board a Beneteau 50 with my son just to show him the difference in space size for size between a 38 ft cat (Lagoon 380) and a 50ft Monohull and unfortunately (which is the same old story I also hear at my local yacht club plus a yachtmaster friend of mine) the gentleman/salesman selling the beneteau asked me my interests, so I told him why we were on board, his immediate reaction was 'Oh they are unsafe, they capsize, they can't tack' etc, etc, I could not be bothered to argue so we left - but this is what so many uneducated sailors still believe and quote.
My son of 19 (who has no opinions about the cats or mono's) came off board and said (apart from the space angle being about the same) was that he felt claustraphobic like being in a dungeon, otherwise a very nice looking boat.
So before making comments I believe that it should be experienced first hand.
Does everybody on this forum when meeting someone for the first time take notice of what someone else thinks of them, or do you prefer to make up your own mind??? - same difference don't comment ignorantly until you have tried.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13   #54

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
and from my observations Multis do have a higher per tonnage cost than monohulls. Why?
I'll propose that, for starters, it's because the fabrication and materials of weighted keels are much cheaper than other parts of the boat. Add to that the ellective higher cost of using exotic materials to keep the weight down on high quality multis. My carbon mast costs a lot more than an alum one. It's cheaper to add ballast on a mono than to buy a carbon stick to keep the weight distribution where you want it. Pretty simple.

To address the perceived pissing contest, I'm with Brad and prefer sailing a mono. I grew up on monos and I jump at the chance to helm a nicely sailing one. I think I'm a better sailor because I learned as a child on unforgiving, small monos. But I prefer to cruise on a multi. For cruising I chose the best sailing multi readily available to me and my budget at the time - applying my personal compromises. Expecting anyone else to make the same personal choices would be quite arrogant, ignorant, or both.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:10   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Maybe that multihullers tend to be defensive because they have had the experience on their type of boat and the other as they sail/live in them whatever, and most monohullers only experience of multihulls is what they have read, most of it out being of date and based on old designed/experience and with the racers.
I am breaking my promise not to get involved in the mono/multi thing just long enough to try to dispel this. I, for one, have more experience on multis (including several blue-water passages around Thailand), but have chosen a mono.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I am breaking my promise not to get involved in the mono/multi thing just long enough to try to dispel this. I, for one, have more experience on multis (including several blue-water passages around Thailand), but have chosen a mono.
Please say why you chose a mono after having sailed on a cat.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:04   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I think you took my quote out of context, I said 'MOST monohullers' not all.
I am sure there are a lot of people like yourself who have done the same, I am only quoting from experience and people I have met and know!! I am not trying to bait people.
Likewise as Keegan says, I would like to know why you chose a mono as it would be interesting to hear your views.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:24   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sailing is kind of like driving a car. I love all kinds of boats, and that includes power boats too. They all have a purpose, a fit to one's lifestyle, or should I say sailing style? I love pulling into an anchorage, and seeing the different boats. I love seeing all the different boats undersail.

There will always be someone prettier, richer, or more polite, but that doesn't mean I can't hold a conversation with them. It sure would be boring if we all drove a black Ford of the same model, and year wouldn't it?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26   #59

So Saturday we launched the boat, set the rig, jacked the spar to 30,000 pounds, tuned it, bent sails on and provisioned. We left that evening, moved the boat 140 miles, arrived home Sunday morning, with 25 knots and driving with driving rain in a balmy 48 degrees.

Our dock mate met us when we landed and helped us secure the boat. He invited us over for a hot coffee which we accepted and enjoyed. Then off to bed since we had been up for 40 some hours.

Funny thing, not once was a mention made about what is better: mono or multi. One of us owns a C&C and one of us owns a Lagoon. We talked about the kids, the summer plans, and how the winter was spent.

Imagine that, lambs and lions playing together. I do agree with Wheels the poll is simply meant to be divisive and serves no purpose other then to create antagonism. I am sorry to say I play in that sandbox sometimes also. Shame on all of us.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 03:11   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
I think you took my quote out of context, I said 'MOST monohullers' not all.
I am sure there are a lot of people like yourself who have done the same, I am only quoting from experience and people I have met and know!! I am not trying to bait people.
Likewise as Keegan says, I would like to know why you chose a mono as it would be interesting to hear your views.
Nope, not taking the bait. Last time I expressed my opinion on this subject I was nearly hounded out of the forum.

Tags
multihull