Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 22:00   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Multihull Cruise-ability Opinion Please!

Looks like someone added a cabin to a beach cat. Bet that boat was fast it it's day, before it was remuddled.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 08:29   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: blue water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
....Some of these older boats are marginal as for as offshore use but people have done it in them: Gemini, Catalac, Prout. ....
Interesting...Prouts and Catalacs are marginal off shore cruisers? You just named two brands that have many of the catamaran circumnavigations????

And I've never seen either brand in the same sentence with a Gemini..... nor should they be.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 20:24   #18

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)

Hi, jbeede

We're going through the process of researching catamarans for our planned move to Florida; although I seem to prefer something in the 38-40' range (Lagoon 380, Leopard 39) they're expensive, even used.

The TomCat and Seawind 1000XL would seem to fit the bill for mostly coastal cruising (with occasional trips to the Bahamas), but I don't like the thought of outboards and all that gasoline on board (they don't some with diesel outboards). A lot to learn for us current monohullers...
Jon
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 22:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonarck View Post
that gasoline on board
Jon
Dont own a car then?

Seriously the key to having 100 litres or so of Petrol on board is making sure that any leaks etc are not into the boat. I cant speak for the Tom Cat but the seawind tanks lines and motors are all external to the boat. Any problems or leaks and the fuel is not in the boat. Really though I have seen a few cruising boats with diesel motors carry great lumps of petrol for the dinghy, so I would suspect that most boats have a fair few litres of petrol on board.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 00:46   #20

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

You might want to look for moorage for a cat that's over 16 ft beam before you buy one. End slips are usually full and unless you have a buoy in front of your beach house well We fell in love with the Seawind 1160 but it didn't fit our needs or the local moorage where we pay $151.31 a month for a 40 ft slip for We Be Jammin
We are coastal Gemini 105Mc sailers and love it here in the Pacific North West with only 150 miles of off shore sailing to get north to the Salish Sea and the San Juan Islands and only another 40 miles offshore crusing to get to the inside passage to Alaskia. With a great chartplotter / radar and good weather info ( XM ) you can sail/cruse anywhere if you have time, groceries and of course libations. There's a young couple about to circumnavicate in a Gemini 105Mc , there in the Medetranian already passed the Red Sea. So knowing the limits of any boat is very important if going off shore.

$30,000.00 might start to be a down payment on an offshore catamaran If you buy a boat you can expect to spend almost $30,000 to set it up with new rigging, new sails, modern electronic's ,dingy ,stuff , libations
Old 26-04-2011, 03:47   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonarck View Post
Hi, jbeede

We're going through the process of researching catamarans for our planned move to Florida; although I seem to prefer something in the 38-40' range (Lagoon 380, Leopard 39) they're expensive, even used.

The TomCat and Seawind 1000XL would seem to fit the bill for mostly coastal cruising (with occasional trips to the Bahamas), but I don't like the thought of outboards and all that gasoline on board (they don't some with diesel outboards). A lot to learn for us current monohullers...
Jon
I'm not certain, but I think you will find that the the gasoline tank is in the bridge deck and is sealed off from the hulls. The vent is down through the floor, like a propane well. Much different than monohull solutions. Any leaks around the tank or engines simply go in the water.

Additionally, cats that mount outboards generally have them mounted well forward. Because of this they remain usable in all weather.

I've had gasoline powered cats so long I would find it really strange and even a little scary to mount a diesel tank and engine down deep, inside the boat.

The reality is they are both very safe when well exicuted.
Old 26-04-2011, 03:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
You might want to look for moorage for a cat that's over 16 ft beam before you buy one. End slips are usually full and unless you have a buoy in front of your beach house well We fell in love with the Seawind 1160 but it didn't fit our needs or the local moorage where we pay $151.31 a month for a 40 ft slip for We Be Jammin
We are coastal Gemini 105Mc sailers and love it here in the Pacific North West with only 150 miles of off shore sailing to get north to the Salish Sea and the San Juan Islands and only another 40 miles offshore crusing to get to the inside passage to Alaskia. With a great chartplotter / radar and good weather info ( XM ) you can sail/cruse anywhere if you have time, groceries and of course libations. There's a young couple about to circumnavicate in a Gemini 105Mc , there in the Medetranian already passed the Red Sea. So knowing the limits of any boat is very important if going off shore.

$30,000.00 might start to be a down payment on an offshore catamaran If you buy a boat you can expect to spend almost $30,000 to set it up with new rigging, new sails, modern electronic's ,dingy ,stuff , libations
I've found that power boat and work boat marinas often have good prices on shallow wide slips. 16' is easy and 18' is available. Monohull marinas tend to favor skinny and deep.
Old 26-04-2011, 05:17   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm not certain, but I think you will find that the the gasoline tank is in the bridge deck and is sealed off from the hulls. The vent is down through the floor, like a propane well. Much different than monohull solutions. Any leaks around the tank or engines simply go in the water.
snip
The reality is they are both very safe when well executed.
I have owned boats with outboards and with diesels, and the biggest issues for me (in a cruising boat) with outboards are lack of adequate alternator capacity, no water heating, and aeration of the props in big seas. Diesel also gets better range per-gallon, and considering the poor chemical stability of modern blended gasolines -- long-term storage (anything longer than a few months) makes gumming and separation a concern with larger gas tanks.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:17   #24

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
(in a cruising boat) with outboards are lack of adequate alternator capacity, no water heating, .
Who wants to do the dishes in cold water or try to heat a salon with only a canvas wall even in north Florida's winters, I like doors
Old 26-04-2011, 14:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have owned boats with outboards and with diesels, and the biggest issues for me (in a cruising boat) with outboards are lack of adequate alternator capacity, no water heating, and aeration of the props in big seas. Diesel also gets better range per-gallon, and considering the poor chemical stability of modern blended gasolines -- long-term storage (anything longer than a few months) makes gumming and separation a concern with larger gas tanks.
I'm sorry, but my expereince is differnet. Much of what follows is on my blog.

• I've motored into gale conditions without ventilation. The requirement is that the engines be long shaft and be mounted near the hobby-horse point (perhaps 30-35% forward of the transom). Transom mounted engines are a problem. The PDQs and Seawinds are like this. I'm not sure about the Tomcat, but I think it is someways forward. The Gemini is rather far back, but from what I understand it works OK.
  • Solar and wind. Even with an alternator I wouldn't always run the engine that much. For dishes it is far more efficient to quickly heat a pot of water on the stove, often the one you just cooked in.
  • I sail all year and it gets cold here. I have a propane cabin heater and a propane hot water heater (both externally vented); the water is hot even when the engine has not been run. Since the boat was built in Canada, heating even in near zero F conditions is not unreasonable (I have storm windows!).
  • Gasoline stability is not an issue for a cruiser--they are running. Also, gasoline instability is a matter of system maintenance (no deck leaks) and keeping the tank full (close the vent on dingy motors). I have written articles on the additives and e-10 condensation. Not a big deal once you learn the rules. I haven't used anti-gum additives in 27 years of sailing and don't see the value (I am a chemical engineer in the fuels business and understand the chemistry very well); it is primarily snake oil peddling. Regular use (no more less than every 3 months) is the key.
  • Poor mileage is true, but not as bad with 4-strokes.
  • I agree with having doors, but this is a climate issue. More important is good ventilation to the front of the salon.
But I would run from the cat in the OP!
Old 28-04-2011, 14:30   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran
Re: Multihull Cruise-ability Opinion, Please !

Hi, Try to find a Dean 365 or a Prout 36, it's small but none sank yet and they are all over the world and very few for sale. Thre is a nice 33 Dean for sale on Apollo Duck she picture pretty and worth a look! I wish you fair winds and flat seas!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:44   #27

I have a family of 4. Just bought a Prout 31' a few months back and we have been living aboard and sailing often. My girls are young enough that i really wanted a safe boat, and my pocket is tight enough that i couldn't spend a fortune either. She performs well in high winds and i feel confident about our decision to buy her. I have no doubt she will perform well in bigger seas. Keep your eyes out for Prouts out there and don't be discouraged by people asking for a 50 and 60K. We purchased our boat for 70% of asking price.

Good Luck. Don't give up. Let us know what you end up with.

Alex
4familysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 21:11   #28
Marine Service Provider

Welcome to your dream! Nobody could say it's easy and hey... how you ride your dream is not as important as primarily how safe! You indeed made the right decision ... congratulations!!!!!

Keep on posting so we can keep in touch. In this forum you also cannot go wrong here is a host of able and friendly people so keep on posting!

I wish you fair seas and trade winds!
Old 11-05-2011, 21:18   #29

I had a Seawind once. Put 20,000 miles on it in 4 years with few problems.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 21:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Hi Jabeede, i would not even remotely leave the harbour! That cat is only suited for inland waters.

Tags
multihull