Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 12:12   #1

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Multihull Cost

Let's preface this with wants: I want a catamaran. My wife wants a catamaran. We both want to cruise - and are working towards that eventual goal. We have done our research, owned a small monohull, and chartered catamarans. Based on experience and, again, wants, we've decided that a catamaran is better for us than a monohull - but you can't always get what you want.

The problem is that catamarans don't seem to jive with the profuse "go small, go now" advice commonly offered. Currently, I'm working two jobs in order to save for a catamaran. Honestly, working so much is getting old, quick. In a little less than a year, I'll have enough to buy a catamaran that will likely cost at least 20% more than my house and will then have no kitty with which to cast off. If money were no issue, I wouldn't have a problem. The reality is that money is an issue - perhaps the only issue.

I guess what I'm looking for is validation that working and saving for a catamaran is worth it, when I could probably buy a monohull for a third to half of the cost and "go small, go now". I'd be heeling while underway and rolling at anchor, but at least I'd be underway and anchoring.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:25   #2

Re: Multihull Cost

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it... Sounds to me that you need a plan B, with possibly a mono hull involved!
Old 13-07-2011, 12:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it... Sounds to me that you need a plan B, with possibly a mono hull involved!
There's no need for a Plan B, necessarily. It's not a matter of being able to afford it or not. It's a matter of when. I can either afford it now ... or later. Plan A will happen if I stay the course. I've simply gone from being committed to working for a catamaran to working so much that I'm about to be committed to an institution. (Ok, it's not that bad, I guess.)
Old 13-07-2011, 13:11   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
There's no need for a Plan B, necessarily. It's not a matter of being able to afford it or not. It's a matter of when. I can either afford it now ... or later.

When I look around there are lots of things I can't afford, and theres lots of things I could afford but don't want.
You are looking at stuff you can't afford and stamping your feet like a spoilt 6 year old.

Now instead of taking that as an insult, look at a 6 year old and see how they do ask but don't understand the how it arrives to them.

Goal setting lets you obtain things quicker. Its a good quality management practice thats been around for years. The most important thing with goals is to set achievable ones, but even before that you need to set the CORRECT GOAL.

So write down on a piece of paper what you goals in life are. Get your wife to write hers out in another room and keep them secret for a moment (or maybe forever!)

Now lets have a look at a list of things some people may write down on their goal list:

own a Catamaran
Go cruising
Go Cruising now.
Go cruising at 65
Go visit other countries
Sailing to other countries
Relax in the sea forever
Skin dive every day leading a simple and healthy life....

and on and on.

Note that there is a difference in facilitators and the actual subject of the goal?
So if your goal may happen to be "visiting other countries" thats a good goal. The other part of it is just a facilitator: To visit other countries on a Bus, or Train, or Sailing etc.

Get it yet?

So your problem isn't a 6 year olds want, its a senior management problem: You don't have the correct goal.

So, back to square one. Dream -> Want -> Setting an achievable goal -> achieving that goal.

By the way, the facilitators I mention above and different to what some people call the little goals leadning to achieving the bigger goal. They are sometimes called facilitators too

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:26   #5

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Multihull Cost

Quote:
I guess what I'm looking for is validation that working and saving for a catamaran is worth it, when I could probably buy a monohull for a third to half of the cost and "go small, go now". I'd be heeling while underway and rolling at anchor, but at least I'd be underway and anchoring.

Working (the two jobs) less than a year buys you a catamaran. So ... working the same two jobs less than another year buys you a real cruising kitty. Seems a fair trade off. Buck up.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:57   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

How much are you thinking of spending?

Did you want to buy new or used?

If you want to buy used, you might want to look at a used Cat out of Charter. They have more wear and tear on them, but are seaworthy and if you buy it just before it leaves charter you can have more say in what gets done in the boats final phase out.

My wife and I are in your shoes, but not working any harder than normal. We are just taking our time and enjoying chartering 3-4 times a year (that's our goal anyway) now that we own a boat in Charter. If we can start over with a Cat in charter in a couple of years, then we may very well take possession of it when it leaves 5 years later.

There are a lot of options as well. Just yesterday someone posts a Gemini for sale for $136k I think. Not a bad price for such a good looking boat.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 15:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
When I look around there are lots of things I can't afford, and theres lots of things I could afford but don't want.
You are looking at stuff you can't afford and stamping your feet like a spoilt 6 year old.
Now instead of taking that as an insult, look at a 6 year old and see how they do ask but don't understand the how it arrives to them.
I'm getting the sense that my emphasis on "want" is being misconstrued. The emphasis was meant to acknowledge the difference between a "want" and a "need". When the post is taken as a whole, I would hope that one would see that I'm willing to give up a "want" when entertaining the idea of a monohull. Surely, distinguishing between a "want" and a "need" is not the behavior of a spoiled 6-year old, nor is giving up the "want".

Also, I'm getting the sense that the entire post is not being read when I see "You are looking at stuff you can't afford." While that is true today, it will not be a year from now, as indicated in my original post. There's no need to lecture on goals and plans. The goals have been established for years. The plan has been followed for years. The majority of the funds are in place. All of the purchase funds will be in place in less than a year.

I was simply looking for validation from multi-hull evangelists (hence, posting in the multi-hull form, yet receiving no replies from people with multi-hulls) that waiting another year was worth what I believe the advantages of a catamaran over a mono-hull. That is, I was looking for some encouragement. I've come to realize over the last couple months that Cruisers Forum is probably not the place to look for it.
Old 13-07-2011, 15:48   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
when I could probably buy a monohull for a third to half of the cost and "go small, go now". I'd be heeling while underway and rolling at anchor, but at least I'd be underway and anchoring
This is why I ended up with an old 38-foot monohull that had plenty of accommodations and storage to take my family of four off cruising for four years down in the Caribbean. And, I used to own a 32-foot cat so I know about that breed too. If multihull is your religion this won't work for you, but if you want to go cruising now instead of later it is a better plan. It really depends on your priorities.
Old 13-07-2011, 15:52   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
I'm getting the sense that my emphasis on "want" is being misconstrued. The emphasis was meant to acknowledge the difference between a "want" and a "need". When the post is taken as a whole, I would hope that one would see that I'm willing to give up a "want" when entertaining the idea of a monohull. Surely, distinguishing between a "want" and a "need" is not the behavior of a spoiled 6-year old, nor is giving up the "want".

Also, I'm getting the sense that the entire post is not being read when I see "You are looking at stuff you can't afford." While that is true today, it will not be a year from now, as indicated in my original post. There's no need to lecture on goals and plans. The goals have been established for years. The plan has been followed for years. The majority of the funds are in place. All of the purchase funds will be in place in less than a year.

I was simply looking for validation from multi-hull evangelists (hence, posting in the multi-hull form, yet receiving no replies from people with multi-hulls) that waiting another year was worth what I believe the advantages of a catamaran over a mono-hull. That is, I was looking for some encouragement. I've come to realize over the last couple months that Cruisers Forum is probably not the place to look for it.
Oh, boo hoo!
Old 13-07-2011, 15:59   #10

Boat: private yacht always moving

waaa,,waaa,waaa,,,,,give us a break,,,,if you want someone to hold your hand look elsewhere,,,,,,if you want to go cruising now buy a boat,,,if you want a cat then wait till you can afford it,,,it is as simple as that,, how is that for encouragement??? just do it,,,you will never find the perfect boat,,CF has a wealth of info but look at what you are asking,,,you want us to hold your hand and say this is the way to do it,,,,aint gonna happen,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:00   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
I think you really answered your own question. You and your wife both WANT a Catamaran. If you can wait a year and afford it, then you should wait.

Many people want a Catamaran but also want to go sailing immediately so they get a Monohull instead.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:13   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Let's preface this with wants: I want a catamaran. My wife wants a catamaran. We both want to cruise - and are working towards that eventual goal. We have done our research, owned a small monohull, and chartered catamarans. Based on experience and, again, wants, we've decided that a catamaran is better for us than a monohull - but you can't always get what you want.

The problem is that catamarans don't seem to jive with the profuse "go small, go now" advice commonly offered. Currently, I'm working two jobs in order to save for a catamaran. Honestly, working so much is getting old, quick. In a little less than a year, I'll have enough to buy a catamaran that will likely cost at least 20% more than my house and will then have no kitty with which to cast off. If money were no issue, I wouldn't have a problem. The reality is that money is an issue - perhaps the only issue.

You want a catamaran and you want to go crusing.

Sounds like you are on track. If your combined incomes will pay for a cat in a year working a two year plan should give you a good kitty which when combined with renting your house should have you in the Carribean and on the way to the Pacific.

The end goal will keep you on track and focused. My plan is similar and I hope to be aboard a catamaran in the Pacific at the beginning of 2014. you sound as if you will be ahead of me.

If your wife wants a catamaran thats the important bit and you don't have to be rolling at anchor and with one leg shorter than the other.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:17   #13

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

Checkout another forum that has only www multihulls 4 us. I find both forums usefull.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:41   #14

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Kevingy, I have owned 3 trimarans in the last 25yrs for coastal cruising. I would consider a mono for voyaging over a cat but probably less over a tri. The draft of a mono is a constraint but they can carry the weight of a good powered dingy so that can wash it out. I think the healing would be ok and rolling at anchor can be dampened. I love the sailing qualities of a tri but a good voyaging monohull has many virtues as well. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:52   #15

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

I saved up and brought the catamaran instead of going small as soon as I could... All I'm gonna say is it is more expensive than you think... I would advise to go as small as you think you are comfortable with..... I do love the speed and space on mine though. Personally it was worth the extra time and effort. Especially when I go spend some time on friends smaller go now go cheap boats.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull