Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2011, 03:06   #46

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Multihull Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
More likely a 20 year old 3000 or 3200. A 12 year old 105M runs nearer $100K.

Cheers
I've seen them for close to 50k and there are certainly a couple in the 70k region. With this being a buyers market, an offer close to 50k should be about right. Remember, the late 90's 105 only cost about 75k BRAND NEW.

Old 20-07-2011, 06:12   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 50

To the OP based on all the facts we have, which are to say we have none, good luck. If we had budget info and kitty size you would get spot on advise. I would think the worst thing would be to get your cat and than have no money to go. If buying a near new cat just the cost to insure it might kill a kitty. Not to mention not knowing what size cat your speaking of finding places that can haul you out etc etc.

Old 20-07-2011, 20:06   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
I've seen them for close to 50k and there are certainly a couple in the 70k region. With this being a buyers market, an offer close to 50k should be about right. Remember, the late 90's 105 only cost about 75k BRAND NEW.
The cheapest 10 year old Gemini 105 on Yachtworld is listed at $119,000, nowhere near the $50K you mentioned in your earlier post. Even in a buyer's market it's unlikely you'll get it for $50K?

Cheers.
Old 21-07-2011, 20:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy
Let's preface this with wants: I want a catamaran. My wife wants a catamaran. We both want to cruise - and are working towards that eventual goal. We have done our research, owned a small monohull, and chartered catamarans. Based on experience and, again, wants, we've decided that a catamaran is better for us than a monohull - but you can't always get what you want.

The problem is that catamarans don't seem to jive with the profuse "go small, go now" advice commonly offered. Currently, I'm working two jobs in order to save for a catamaran. Honestly, working so much is getting old, quick. In a little less than a year, I'll have enough to buy a catamaran that will likely cost at least 20% more than my house and will then have no kitty with which to cast off. If money were no issue, I wouldn't have a problem. The reality is that money is an issue - perhaps the only issue.

I guess what I'm looking for is validation that working and saving for a catamaran is worth it, when I could probably buy a monohull for a third to half of the cost and "go small, go now". I'd be heeling while underway and rolling at anchor, but at least I'd be underway and anchoring.
No way. Go monohull and go now. Have you been on a long passage on a cat? Or at anchor in a chop? The noise keeps you up for days. You quickly get used to heeling in a monohull, and cats bob as much as monohulls ,

Enjoy life while you are young. Go mono and go now.

One sail on a cat in foul conditions and I lost my enchanent with them. If you are chartering for a week in the dry season- nothing better than a cat. To sail across oceans, you'd have to be deaf!
Old 21-07-2011, 20:19   #50
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory49 View Post
No way. Go monohull and go now. Have you been on a long passage on a cat? Or at anchor in a chop? The noise keeps you up for days. You quickly get used to heeling in a monohull, and cats bob as much as monohulls ,

Enjoy life while you are young. Go mono and go now.

One sail on a cat in foul conditions and I lost my enchanent with them. If you are chartering for a week in the dry season- nothing better than a cat. To sail across oceans, you'd have to be deaf!
I wouldn't think one sail on a cat would make you an expert. Different cats act in different ways, maybe you should try a few different cats out before you give up on them.
Old 21-07-2011, 20:35   #51

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Suggested Steps:
1. Investigate what is out there in your budget.
2. Find out as much about them as you can--there are some good multihull forums out there -- multihulls 4 us dot com is one -- there are some good posts regarding multihulls on this forum as well.
3. Plan your purchase time frame.
4. When you are ready, you will know.

It took us over six years of dreaming and looking into various models and we finally focused on three particular 35' models. We weighed the plusses and minusses of each, while seriously considering what we planned to really use the boat for and how far we realistically decided we would cruise, and made several viewing trips and had three surveys done before we finally "pulled the trigger."

We could have had a much less expensive monohull a lot sooner. We are not sorry with our choice!

BTW, a friend who lives in Ft. Pierce, FL and went to view a Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35 for me on the hard in a marina in Ft. Pierce when we were looking, told me today that there are at least 7 catamarans for sale right now in that marina.

Marshall
Old 21-07-2011, 21:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randor View Post
Edit: After posting this I see this is my first post. Been lurking too long. Greetings to all.
Heya Randor! Welcome aboard! Great first post...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 21:27   #53

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Have you been on a long passage on a cat?
Yes I have
Have you?

Quote:
Or at anchor in a chop?
Yes I have
I had miserable times rolling my guts out on the mono's I owned, spilling beers, wife not happy.
Then I saw a cat anchored close in in a couple of feet of water, owners sitting on deck sipping champagne drinking from glass.
This was a turning point for us
We had to have one and soon did

Quote:
The noise keeps you up for days.
Bullshit
The occasional slap has never kept us awake
But the continual rolling sure as hell did.
Quote:
You quickly get used to heeling in a monohull,
But I never got used to spilling my beer
Rolling at anchor
Going slow
Running aground or anchoring out

Quote:
and cats bob as much as monohulls
So?

Quote:
One sail on a cat in foul conditions and I lost my enchanent with them.
One sail?
Clearly an expert

Quote:
To sail across oceans, you'd have to be deaf!
How would you know?
Old 22-07-2011, 01:15   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

So this is what the OP said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
Let's preface this with wants: I want a catamaran. My wife wants a catamaran. We both want to cruise - and are working towards that eventual goal. We have done our research, owned a small monohull, and chartered catamarans. Based on experience and, again, wants, we've decided that a catamaran is better for us than a monohull - but you can't always get what you want.......
And yet - this is what you said. I dont get it.

Quote:
No way. Go monohull and go now. ......
Old 22-07-2011, 02:32   #55

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Why not just start with half a cat like the rest of us short on cash?

Greg
Old 22-07-2011, 02:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
So this is what the OP said.

And yet - this is what you said. I dont get it.
Wow, sorry what I said got you all worked up. Opinions were asked for and I gave mine.

To each their own, I am sure all cats are not the same, just like all monohulls are not the same' I wouldnt want to cruise in a racing monohull because off the noise either.

Cats have great space, speed if kept light, and don't heel or roll, all is true. I'd suggest before anyone commits to buying any boat they take one out in a stiff breeze with some chop and see how she does. Too often people just judge a boat by how comfortable they look on the dock. That's probably fine most of the time for the way a lot of people cruise. But during passages, sleep becomes key to survival in a short crewed boat.

For island hopping in the sun, I'd go cat every time. Again sorry I offended, meant no harm!
Old 22-07-2011, 06:11   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Why not just start with half a cat like the rest of us short on cash?

Greg
Ahem - not sure that a Bluewater 420 is a budget boat, beautiful boat yes, well built boat yes, well designed boat yes, great cruising boat yes, but not one for those short on cash I would have thought. Last time trade a boat did a test (about a year ago) they were around mid 500K . Pretty good value for one of the better cruising monos around, bur hardly cheap. About the same price as a new 38 ft Cat.

To be clear, anyone that chooses a Bluewater 420 has a very very good boat. Just not a very cheap one.
Old 22-07-2011, 06:13   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Wow, sorry what I said got you all worked up. Opinions were asked for and I gave mine. !
I didn't get worked up. I simply dont understand why after the guy says that he wants a cat that people keep coming in and say buy a mono.
Old 22-07-2011, 11:55   #59

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

So what if you buy a catamaran and then you have to waite a year or so to go crusing full time. We bought our used catamaran last Oct and this summer were having our go "crusing yard sale" and go crusing next summer, meanwhile were getting used to sailing our cat and fixing things before were out getting in trouble off shore where replacement parts are scarse. Were full time liveaboards although to the marina officials were recreating lots, I'm sure if we could have affored to go crusing more quickly we would have not been as confident in our boat and our skills with her.
Stick in there and keep your dream alive.
Old 22-07-2011, 17:00   #60

Check out Island Spirit 37's and 40's and Lagoon 37's...they are all well-built.

Tags
multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: