Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 18:33   #1

Multihull bottoms

If one wanted to beach a multihull without scratching up the fiberglass on the bottom of the mini-keels, is there something that can be put on as a saftefy.

For example, there is Line-X paint. It looks really tough. I wonder if it would create much drag.

Some stainless steel runners made during manufacturing would be awesome.

Or if infrequently beaching a multihull, going in at high tide and jumping over and putting some towels or other protection beneath the hulls.

Any ideas for best way to beach a multihull?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 19:04   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Multihull bottoms

While the Line-X paint might not create much drag, the fouling it will allow to attach certainly will.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 06:30   #3

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

One "best way" is to have beaching keels that have stainless bar along the bottom, as Lightwave cats had from 1996 and FreeFlow cats have now.

The main issue is you never know when a rock under the sand will punch a hole, there's a lot of force concentrated in a small area, more than most laminates can handle.

It also comes in handy when you manage to park it on the bricks. It's like having an excellent anchoring system (and using it properly), it's cheap insurance 👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 10:24   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Our previous boat was a FP Maldives 32ft LOA with low aspect ratio keels. It was moored on a half tide swinging mooring for 7 months a year in a fairly exposed location, taking and lifting from the bottom 4 times a day. The bottom was mud, gravel and the odd brick and rubble. Did that for 11 years or so. Initially, I planned to put SS shoes on the bottom of the keels, but decided that as there was so little wear on the keel bottoms, it wasn't worth it. The keels were foam filled grp, nothing special.
For the occasional deliberate grounding in controlled and presumably benign conditions, I see no reason to do anything other than be careful. Of more concern to me would be taking the ground on a hard substrate such as sand. Even in apparently sheltered locations, any wave or swell action can cause considerable pounding for a sustained period during liftoff and landing which can easily be damaging.
The difference on our mooring was that the substrate was reasonably soft such that you could not feel taking or taking off the ground, sometimes with embarrassing results when you realise you have to negotiate 50m of mud to get ashore.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:15   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Maybe copper instead of SS?

I've blocked mine on 2X4 trim blocks, although, that they would float made it difficult.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 17:14   #6

Be selective about where you beach the boat. We probably spend about 2 months per year in anchorages where we'll dry out. We always look for clean sand or sand/mud. No problems so far.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull