Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 16:23   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Oh Dear - the old Cats cant go to windward mythology. Yes some cant - but if I couldn't get many modern cats to windward better than a bene mono - I would start to look at myself rather than the boat.
Actually old son...
If you took the time for my posting to register somewhere before you hit the keys you would have seen that I did not say they could not go to windward...
just that they will slam...
And I've sailed cats to windward of a design older than yours...
I am aware that modern designs have limited this fault to a great extent on many cats and nearly eliminated it in a couple...
Maybe you've got a problem with people critising cats... but thats your problem...
Me... I'm quite happy with my abilities thank you...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:39   #47

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Quote:
Where do we start?

Myself and all the cruising cat sailors I know came here from sailing monos. And every client I have had a mono before they bought a cat.

Why equate Cats with saildrives, mine doesnt have them, there are plenty of cats and tris with sail drives - outboards and shafts.

I hate truisms in the boating world, they suggest that reality and improvement in design thought stopped in 1654 AD.
I couldn't agree more Factor the Flat Earth Society is alive and well.

As for sail drives, like outboards their reliability relates to the quality of the manufacturer and servicing.

Shaft drives are very robust and reliable but requre more to set up during building and so the boat costs more.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:40   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
BOATMAN

Actually old son...
If you took the time for my posting to register somewhere before you hit the keys you would have seen that I did not say they could not go to windward...
just that they will slam...
And I've sailed cats to windward of a design older than yours...
I am aware that modern designs have limited this fault to a great extent on many cats and nearly eliminated it in a couple...
Maybe you've got a problem with people critising cats... but thats your problem...
Me... I'm quite happy with my abilities thank you...
If its slamming you are talking about - then its not limited to Cats, indeed some of the worst slamming I have experienced has been on newer production monos, (from Europe) carrying to much beam to far forward resulting in a mind numbingly horrible ride to windward.

And on your specific point - I have sailed some cats that dont slam to windward and some that do. Indeed recently slamming to windward seems to have become an issue for all boats not just cats.

And I have no problem with people criticising cats, there is plenty out there to criticise amongst plenty of designs, just as there is on monos.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:51   #49

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Slamming

Factor, Just wondered about the height of your bridgedeck clearance and slamming in your Seawind. I like Seawind but can't find these numbers. Also do you have the same data on the 1250? Sorry about the thread drift but these things do happen. Love you guys and gals. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 17:04   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If its slamming you are talking about - then its not limited to Cats, indeed some of the worst slamming I have experienced has been on newer production monos, (from Europe) carrying to much beam to far forward resulting in a mind numbingly horrible ride to windward.
LOL.... always a problem when you try to fit a 'Condo' under a mast.... no matter what the platform.... my 2001 'Bendi' were a buga for that sometimes...
But going back to the OP... Forget the Caribean... its overpriced burnt out crap... try these
http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/114214/
http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/135644/
VAT's paid on these two.

Old 19-03-2011, 17:32   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Quote:
LOL.... always a problem when you try to fit a 'Condo' under a mast.... no matter what the platform.... my 2001 'Bendi' were a buga for that sometimes...
But going back to the OP... Forget the Caribean... its overpriced burnt out crap... try these
Lagoon 380 used boat for sale. The Yacht Market online boat sales and charters.
FOUNTAINE PAJOT ATHENA 38 used boat for sale. The Yacht Market online boat sales and charters.
VAT's paid on these two.

I just gotta sell this damn property Boatman, I know its only been on the market 3 weeks but we are impatient......Its been a really good experience reading so many different opinions on Cats, I certainly had never considered anything but Monohull, I think that may well have changed..........
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 17:45   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
I just gotta sell this damn property Boatman, I know its only been on the market 3 weeks but we are impatient......Its been a really good experience reading so many different opinions on Cats, I certainly had never considered anything but Monohull, I think that may well have changed..........
Don't sweat it Pablo... this stuff'll be around a while... unless the Aussies spot it and come galloping over....

Old 19-03-2011, 18:20   #53
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

There's that many great cats forsale here right now, we don't need to go anywhere.. Hehe.

One thing I would like to throw in re old designs, if you take a look at designs from the Legends, I don't mean designers of the French production boats, but I mean the truly legendary designers such as Crowther, Kelsall, Shuttleworth and the like, you will find even their older designs go windward pretty well, often far better than most of the newer production designs.
I am in no way bashing newer designs, but many of the older ones can still do better windward than many newer "tech" monohulls.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 18:54   #54

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Quote:
Lagoon 380 used boat for sale. The Yacht Market online boat sales and charters.
FOUNTAINE PAJOT ATHENA 38 used boat for sale. The Yacht Market online boat sales and charters.
VAT's paid on these two.
They both look like good boats but arn't they above Pablo's budget?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 19:14   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
They both look like good boats but arn't they above Pablo's budget?
It depends on the exchange rate, our budget could strech to 110,000 euros..........plus, I would have thought that the owners of those boats would be ready to listen to offers?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 19:24   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
It depends on the exchange rate, our budget could strech to 110,000 euros..........plus, I would have thought that the owners of those boats would be ready to listen to offers?
Sell the pub in euro's... that way the exchange rate is the buyers problem... else you get screwed by the bank charges...
Might even be able to haggle this down a bit....lol
http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/101181/

Old 20-03-2011, 02:15   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Slamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Factor, Just wondered about the height of your bridgedeck clearance and slamming in your Seawind. I like Seawind but can't find these numbers. Also do you have the same data on the 1250? Sorry about the thread drift but these things do happen. Love you guys and gals. BOB
PM sent
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 06:01   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I hate truisms in the boating world ...
A truism is a self-evident and/or obvious truth.
What is it, about truth, that you hate? Or, is it merely certain truths that bother you?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 06:19   #59
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Pablo you noted that there are cat listings in your price range, but (generally) you will find that for equal money you can get a mono in better condition to go cruising. I'm a multihull guy but if looking for a long-term cruiser on a $135k budget I'd focus on monos.

Go look at some boats and you will note the details that don't show up in the photos are often where the price difference lies.
I have to second this entire quote. I'm partial to cat's but unless you have $200k to spend, I would suggest a mono. The cat's you see for $100k when you show up and check them out will most likely disappoint you. You can get a very good mono in excellent shape for the same money.
Old 20-03-2011, 06:33   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

After four pages of pro's and con's about both cats and monos there is still the OP question of which would be best for cruising the Caribbean. And as some others and myself have mentioned cruising the islands involves more than 90% of your time at anchor/moored and less than 10% actually traveling between islands.
- - Distances in the passages between islands varies but can normally almost always be done in a less than a day sail. The rest of the inter-island sail is usually in the shelter (lee) of an island. And with sometimes multiple stops along the lee shores of an island.
- - This is where cats really come into their own. They are easy to maneuver (depending upon the skipper) and can anchor up close and personal to the beaches better than most monos. But where they really shine and are the envy of most all monos is their ability to remain quite stable in the rolly anchorges that are the rule in the Caribbean. In large anchorages you will see the masts of monos swinging perpetually back and forth while the masts of cats are hardly moving at all. That wide "footprint" really makes a significant comfort difference. And since 90% of your time is spent anchored there is a considerable enjoyment factor in cats versus monos.
- - Personally as a monohull owner/cruiser the constant rolling drives me from one anchorage to another looking for some stable water. So some nice places are bypassed. And as I go by I notice cats in there anchored and having a good time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote