Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 13:44   #91

Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

With a big roach comes big batten end loads. A low friction batten car is hard to beat with those design considerations.

I've been reading about a cat with in-boom furling and it seems the system may have created more problems then it solved.

We considered a split track Harken system to lower our headboard height until we heard the sliders were sticking. The sliders are not ball bearing, only a poly material. Many larger boats are switchig out the split system in favor of the ball bearing system. Hinging a 25 foot batten is not fun.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:08   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
GordMay
Are sailors timing their reefing so well or are they climbing onto the deck and struggling more than those with inmast furling systems.
Are there other reasons?
Knucklehead
Well on a Multi you tend to reef early so maybe we are timing it better - I can only talk about me. I dont climb on the roof and struggle - ever. I have single line slab reefing that works wonderfully well and does so on many points of sail

As for other reasons - as 44C said I have a roachy fully battened main, so in mast furling is not an option. And in any event I dont want the weight up high. And - the natural state for my main is stowed - ie if I have a failure in the system anywhere the sail drops so a system failure is not catastrophic from a safety viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
With a big roach comes big batten end loads. A low friction batten car is hard to beat with those design considerations.
Can only agree - I have Roller Bearing Batten Cars and they make the sail much easier to handle.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26   #93

Boat: building small boats at present

dont sell the house,start with 2 or 3000 and build a basic 30 to 35ft cat.With a bit of a budget and some elbow grease,you will have your cat and your cake aswell! cheers from oz
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:33   #94

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Thumbs up for ball bearing battern cars, they are so much better than sliders or bolt ropes. I've never used an in mast or boom furler but I have heard that they can get jammed up if you don't furl them tight enough.
I would think you have to compromise on sail shape too.

As for building a 35 foot cat for $3K Hmmm, keep us posted on how you go building yours?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:47   #95

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
As for building a 35 foot cat for $3K Hmmm, keep us posted on how you go building yours?
Old 02-04-2011, 18:01   #96

Why must every detail be explained,$3000 will get you more than enough ply to keep busy for weeks !!!and while your working with that you are not spending. Keep earning an income, budget,buy material as you need it,and there you go. If this doesn't make sense then I suppose the production market is the way for most
Old 02-04-2011, 19:33   #97

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
Why must every detail be explained,$3000 will get you more than enough ply to keep busy for weeks !!!and while your working with that you are not spending. Keep earning an income, budget,buy material as you need it,and there you go. If this doesn't make sense then I suppose the production market is the way for most
Just the materials and plans for a 36 foot cat are going to run 10-20x your $3k depending on the quality of the components and finish level. Sails alone will be more than $10k
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:03   #98

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
OK now I understand, good luck with your project and please keep us posted on your progress?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 23:01   #99

Hi Dragon Lady,Just to clarify what I mean. lots of different ply epoxy systems are out there ,W.E.S.T., CM,frame on stringers,SHEATHED,composite and lots more. You can blend foam and ply or foam and strip. I have been working with ply and other timber for over 25 years and can assure you that all of the product and systems can vary enormously in price. Just one of many examples I can share is cedar strip for just the waterline and below on a WALLER 1480 is around $20.000 aus.The strip hull will have less drag and perform better than a multi chine ply, but at what cost? My view and knowledge is all proven in practice worldwide ! Does this mean that my way is the only one? of course not. Keep those figures in mind,compare to a woods design WINDSONG a 9m cat and the ply can be costed at approx $4.500 and thats the whole boat not just half of the hulls. Both of these amounts exclude epoxy,but thats another set of numbers and not really what I am explaining. Add to this point that ply can vary to the extreme,aus standard 9mm hoop $160 to $180 per sheet and BS1008 pink $65 they both have pro's and con's. Some designers ask $12000 for drawings and others $1100. one thing I can assure you of both designs, they both float and sail and can both sink at the same rate. I have spent HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of hours reading and cross checking every bit of info I can find,so to combine my hands on trade years with the right design that best suits my needs. I have learn't not to open pandora's box unless I have time to explain my comments. In short my original comment to Pablo was simply a different option,I would hate to see someone lose an asset when maybe a choice could be explored. By the way, I hope you enjoy reading this because I am a very slow typist (much better with trade tools )and it takes me a while,which is why I tend to have short post's. Good to hear from you,cheers from melbourne.
Old 02-04-2011, 23:18   #100

HI there sailfast, I have a heap of study plans with material list's and written estimates from distribution companies in Australia and overseas, I can also use a tape and calculator, maybe you should check your figures before you type?
Old 02-04-2011, 23:22   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

I had no idea this would be such a pasionate thread when I started it!! As a newbie just starting from scratch (never sailed before) I was not sure why there was such a debate about Mono and Multi, however, having just completed my first weeks course with the RYA on a MONO, I must say it was a brilliant experience (Baviara 44) getting the sails just right, heeling, etc........so,would i miss what some consider to be ¨pure¨ sailing? Time will tell, ive not been out on a cat yet but look forwary equaly to the experience .......ps, am studying hard for Day Skipper and did pick up Competent crew on my 1st course in Gibratar, I can strongly recomend www.asa.gi who have an incredible set up if you need to take a course but want to enjoy Gibraltar, Spain and Northern Africa while doing it!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 00:01   #102

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
I had no idea this would be such a pasionate thread when I started it!! As a newbie just starting from scratch (never sailed before) I was not sure why there was such a debate about Mono and Multi, ...
You're an innocent. Beware of those who will steer you toward the dark side. (Seventy-five percent of posters will try to direct you toward boats which only represent a small fraction of the small-boat fleet. Minorities are like that.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49   #103
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You're an innocent. Beware of those who will steer you toward the dark side. (Seventy-five percent of posters will try to direct you toward boats which only represent a small fraction of the small-boat fleet. Minorities are like that.)

Dont worry Mark, I am 100% my own person and although I listen and value the opinions of others I will ultimately make up my own mind as to whether I go Mono or Multi......I was told by many of my freinds not to waste my money on a sailing course with the RYA as they themselves could teach me and save me the money, not sure how many of you guys who have sailed for years went through a course? All I can say is for me the RYA course has been the most important thing ive done thus far and I will continue with them to the next stage......Ohh, and by the way I met a guy in Gibraltar who lives on a cat because he loves the space but admitted he prefers to sail Monos, his wife prefers the CAT!

I hope I dont turn into an ¨angry¨ Cat or Mono owner ......do you guys move to the next bar stool if you find your self sat next to the ¨enemy¨
Old 03-04-2011, 04:03   #104

Boat: Gemini 105Mc, 34ft

80% of this thread was very interesting to me, another newbie. Thanks to all who shared.
Bluewater47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21   #105
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater47 View Post
80% of this thread was very interesting to me, another newbie. Thanks to all who shared.
Hi Bluewater, glad this has helped you, it certainly has been an eye opener for me! You wont go far wrong by using the search section at the top of the page and typing in questions you may have, most is covered here and you only have to ask if you cant find it, you will find it incredible as to who posts on this forum, many of the top boat designers are on here! If like me you are looking forward to your 1st boat it really makes sense to have proper lessons at a school and to try and get out on the water on as many different boats as you can! Not sure if you have any experience in sailing but a charter trip may also help you! Good luck and hope it goes well for you! best, Pablo

www.pubinspain.mijasgraphics.com