Multihull 91 64.54%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-05-2008, 12:37   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
I haven't seen it addressed, so I'll add that Multi's retain a higer percentage of their value than simlarly equipped Mono's (and that gulf is only likely to become even more pronounced as Multi's become more popular thus depressing Mono values even furthur)

Another boat make to add to your list is Nautitech. They're well made and within your optimal price range.
1998 Nautitech 475 Boat For Sale
That sounds like a pretty blanket statement. I'm sure that's true for some multis vs. some monos, but not others. Pro-multi people are often quick to beg off comparisons between "early" multis (i.e., 1970s, some 80s) and monos of similar or modern vintage, pricisely because there were multihull design and build issues during that era. I'm sure the value of those multihulls HASN'T held up.

Old 19-05-2008, 12:54   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
That sounds like a pretty blanket statement. I'm sure that's true for some multis vs. some monos, but not others. Pro-multi people are often quick to beg off comparisons between "early" multis (i.e., 1970s, some 80s) and monos of similar or modern vintage, pricisely because there were multihull design and build issues during that era. I'm sure the value of those multihulls HASN'T held up.

That's very true. Many of the pre-90's multi's are worthless, for all intents and purposes. I definitely should have better clarified 'newer well designed boats' of the type the OP is seeking. Thanx for clarifying!

Old 19-05-2008, 13:08   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
No worries, mate! I apologize for starting you out on the forum with that response! I noticed after I posted that you are a newbie.

Lively discussion, here.

Welcome aboard!
Old 19-05-2008, 13:11   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
No worries, mate! I apologize for starting you out on the forum with that response! I noticed after I posted that you are a newbie.

Lively discussion, here.

Welcome aboard!

LOL...No worries. I sail pretty well to weather... LOL

Thanx for the welcome!!! I've been a lurker for a bit now...
Old 19-05-2008, 13:49   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Having bought and sold a multi, I'd say all boats are loosers from an investment point of view. The only time I heard of people really making money on a used multi was in the rare occurance where currency devalued and drove new costs way up (or you could say a really strong USD had made it very inexpensive to buy for americans to buy abroad) and the value of real estate and other investments owned by many people doubled in 5 years making lots of cheap money available. At that point, someone who bought a new PDQ 42 for 350k say in 2000 when the dollar was extremely strong, could then turn around and sell it for 400k in 2004 when the new price for the boat had gone up to 600k. Now, your looking at the opposite, really weak exchange rates making boats very expensive (from a USD point of view) effectively doubling the costs and housing values and stocks dropping making banks very stingy with home equity loans. Maybe something like a really strongly desired boat, with huge wait times and unique technology like retractable electric drives or carbon fiber/kevlar hulls, could create a pent up demand and you could sell the boats for the same price you bought them for. Most multis though have lots of ex charter boats coming onto the market and the charter companies need to move them quickly (they are business people without an emotional attachment, the boats made it's money and now it's time to move on), so the boats drop by 40% in about 5 years. I think that as multis become more expensive relative to what they were, companies will have to cram as many people into as small a foot print as possible to be economically viable. So you'll see the boats move apart in terms of what an owner would want and what a charter company would wish. Performance, off shore safety items like reserve bouyancy, storage, longevity of components will be traded maximum guest comfort. A faster boat in the minds of a charter operation means it's more likely to flip or get damaged at higher speeds. Boats will get heavier, but more spacious. More like hotels than houses.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:49   #66

Boat: Ovni 445
Quote:
I haven't seen it addressed, so I'll add that Multi's retain a higer percentage of their value than simlarly equipped Mono's (and that gulf is only likely to become even more pronounced as Multi's become more popular thus depressing Mono values even furthur)
Time will tell if that's the case. In the current recession we're seeing the prices of mono's dropping while multi's seem to hold their own. In Europe we should see the popularity of multi's going up, which could have a negative impact on mono's ... still ... I wouldn't bet my money on it. I agree with Schoonerdog that any gains most people make would be due to currency fluctuations.
Quote:
Another boat make to add to your list is Nautitech. They're well made and within your optimal price range.
1998 Nautitech 475 Boat For Sale
I have actually just bought a boat. I bought a FastCat 435. So my choice is made: a multihull.
Old 20-05-2008, 11:52   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I have actually just bought a boat. I bought a FastCat 435. So my choice is made: a multihull.

Congrats on the new purchase! I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the FastCats!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 08:56   #68

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Congrats on the new purchase! I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the FastCats!

Have you heard this from someone who doesn't build and sell them??

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of reliable testimonials on the web..

An ode to the power of persistence maybe? (there are only 4 or 5 made over 4 years as far as I can see)

Regards

Alan
Old 24-05-2008, 10:25   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
Time will tell if that's the case. In the current recession we're seeing the prices of mono's dropping while multi's seem to hold their own. In Europe we should see the popularity of multi's going up, which could have a negative impact on mono's ... still ... I wouldn't bet my money on it. I agree with Schoonerdog that any gains most people make would be due to currency fluctuations.
Congratulations! Enjoy!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 10:57   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Have you heard this from someone who doesn't build and sell them??

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of reliable testimonials on the web..

An ode to the power of persistence maybe? (there are only 4 or 5 made over 4 years as far as I can see)

Regards

Alan
Hallo Alan

Making a cat or for that matter any product perfect takes time and that is what we do , build perfect cats and any way we can improve we will do.
Our customers are happy with the way we go about it and are even willing to wait for up to 3 years . Hull number one had a weight of almost 8000 kilo and hull number 4 only weights 5800 and that includes 800 kilo,s of options

Greetings

Gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4405.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	3655   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4406.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	3656