Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2009, 04:56   #1

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Multi Hull Marina Rates

Contrary to popular opinion, while traveling in my monohull with a couple of friends on multihulls, we have found no difference in dockrates due to the extra wide status of cats. I had always read they paid more, but at least here in the Bahamas, this is not true. While most cat owners know this, I thought to mention it for potential cat owners, as most publications at one point will mention this, and wrongly state that they always pay more. It just isn't true here.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:19   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
As a cat owner in the US I can tell you that here I have always paid more for a cat, but not always twice. In my current marina my cat cost me 33% more than a monohull slip. In a previous marina to accomodate my beam I had to rent a 65 foot slip for a 44 foot cat. They charged me as a 65 foot vessel so I paid about 50% more. In transit I have occasionally found no extra charge if I was willing to use a T-dock which is not unusual as cat slips are few and far between. When I haul out I pay 50% more than the monohull rate.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:24   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
ITs True you almost always pay more for everything
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:50   #4

I rent the dock behind my home in Fort Lauderdale and generally charge 50% more for catamarans.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 12:13   #5

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
yes a bit more but not for 2
Old 14-03-2009, 15:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
In the marina where I am, the inside slips are too narrow for any good sized catamaran. What they do though is to charge more for the end ties.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 16:23   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I have never been charged more

on the Chesapeake Bay. Just per-foot rates.

A few times I have paid a bulkhead premium as a transient, but it was only the standard per-foot rate.

Never to get hauled. More width yes, but less weight and easier blocking. I would tell a marina that thought it was hard to explain why.
Old 16-03-2009, 09:49   #8

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, while traveling in my monohull with a couple of friends on multihulls, we have found no difference in dockrates due to the extra wide status of cats. I had always read they paid more, but at least here in the Bahamas, this is not true. While most cat owners know this, I thought to mention it for potential cat owners, as most publications at one point will mention this, and wrongly state that they always pay more. It just isn't true here.
Don't come to Europe or the Med then as the rates here will make your eyes water!!

We are currently in the Canary Islands and have paid so far (for a 46ft x 25ft cat) anywhere between €1200 Euro ($940 USD) per month to where we are now in Las Palmas €680 ($530 USD). Every marina charges per metre sq for cats or if you are unlucky twice a mono berth (2x 15m x 4.5m for me).
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 13:30   #9
Kai Nui

The following excerpt is from the Moss Landing Harbor District Fee Schedule:
http://www.mosslandingharbor.dst.ca....eeSchedule.pdf
Quote:
4) Multi-Hull Permit Fees – Unless occupying only a single berth, catamaran type vessels
shall pay 150% of the applicable berthing fees for a vessel of its length, or length of its
berth, as applicable and trimaran type vessels shall pay 200% of the applicable berthing
fee for a vessel of its length, or length of its berth, as applicable.
Old 16-03-2009, 15:30   #10

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
I was irked by one marina that only had side ties for bigger boats. They said because I was a cat I would have to pay 2x or 1.5x (can't recall which). I pointed out that was rather illogical because a wider boat isn't taking up any more of their resource (linear length of dock). Also, the 18' mono dive boat was nearly as wide as me and only paid the mono rate. I berthed elsewhere at no difference in cost (another side tie).

I do think it's reasonable for marinas that are renting extra wide finger berths to charge more because their resource (water area) is limited, but for side ties, no way.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 16:23   #11
Kai Nui

Moss Landing, and other local marinas have taken a very limited definition and taylored it to meet theirr own needs. The slip that we had for 11 years, was wide enough to accomodate our trimaran without encroaching on the slip next to us. There is another trimaran owner, whose slip was built after the boat was already in the marina, and designed specifically for that trimaran. Both of us have been subject to a double slip fee because the harbor disagrees that we will fit in a single slip. This is not unique to Moss Landing, but is a very common example on the West Coast.
One of the steps Moss Landing discussed was to increase the rate for all boats that were considered to be "exceptionally wide". Fortunately, they were not able to define what that means, but, I suspect they also realized all the commercial fishing boats that would leave if they tried to enforce that rule.
We currently keep our trimaran at a small (Very small) marina that does not charge extra for multi hulls. They have realized that some of their slips were too shallow for a mono, but had plenty of width.They realized that any boat that could use the length would be a positive cash flow.Putting a mono in that same slip would have probably been limited to much shorter boat, meaning less money for them.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:53   #12

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I have never paid more for my cat. Sure I may get a finger or "T" dock but I pay the same per foot price a mono pays. Have cruised the south eastern U.S. and Bahamas, in the Bahamas, some of the marinas even have extra wide slips but the price per foot is still the same. Orchid Bay in Great Guana Cay is one that has 25 foot wide slips, paid the same as my friends mono paid per foot.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 12:28   #13

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
We are looking to move to another marina in Lanzarote and I just received this quote. prices are in Euro's per day(1 Euro = 1.30 USD)

Herewith we send you our actual mooring fees; you have to multiplied times two the price because you have a catamaran and it’s going to take two births:

8M / 26ft 10.50€
10M / 33ft 15.20€
13M / 42ft 22.50€
15M / 49ft 32.50€

16M / 52ft 36.50€
18M / 59ft 41.00€

20M / 65ft 52.00€

Discounts of 5% for a week, 10% for a month, 25% for 3 months

This is one marina we won't be staying in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote