Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Moxieyachts stillborn?

There was a minireview of a 37' sport cat a while ago, and a picture of it in the latest Spinsheet , but the website, www.moxieyachts.com which was supposed to open a month ago was still no-show last night. I believe the boat, and a 62' carbon fibre cat were to be built in the Bahamas. Does anyone know anymore about them than that press-release / mini-review said, or is another bright bubble bursting?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:40   #2

Sandy,

The 37' prototype was delivered by ship last Friday to Baltimore and will be at the boat show">Annapolis boat show. Both the 37 and the VPLP designed 62 are being built in South Africa not the Bahamas. A lot more will be hitting the press very soon.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09   #3

Quantum South Africa Sail news | Jaz Marine’s Moxie 37 Inter-Island Cruiser is launched

skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15   #4

The boat looks really nice. There is not much else available in a performance cruiser. Looking forward to seeing one at the show. Any word on pricing or how much in the way of an interior?
vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40   #5

It's a two cabin boat with both cabins forward and the two heads up in the bows. The galley is down an aft in the the starboard hull with nav station/convertable berth aft in the port hull. Pricing will like be over $300,000 US. With carbon rotating wing mast, Dyneema standing rigging, she should be very fast. I love the wheel just behind the mast on centerline with all the sail control systems led to one spot.
Old 01-10-2008, 14:50   #6

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Is this the boat that started life as the Gunboat 37? I seem to recall this, and Jaz Marine did build the first couple of Gunboats.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 15:06   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Is it just me or does this sound a bit underpowered?
Quote:
  • Fully battened fat head Main Sail:The main is 42 m2, Fusion M, with film on one side & taffetta on other. Having film on one side is lighter than full taffetta and the taffetta on the one side still gives the sail strength and durability. The fibres are vectran.
  • Solent Jib: The solent jib is 24.6 m2 Fusion M, with film on one side & taffetta on other like the mainsail.
For a boat thats 37ft and weighs 3 tonne

Quote:
The Moxie 37 is not only comfortable, but also incredibly fast. Ideal for island-hopping, it has 2 cabins with queen-size beds, yet weighs only three tons.
For those who love a bit of speed, the Moxie 37’s performance is on a par with many of the fastest, much bigger cruising cats.11.2 knots on a beat, while tacking through 90 degrees, is no problem for this versatile cat!
My fairly conservative Simpson Cruising cat made from WRC epoxy ply was 31ft and had a 42m2 square top main and I think the heady was close enough to 24m2 as well.

Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 15:11   #8

My understanding is the boat started as an Island Hopper 34 and was extended to 37 and briefly sold as a Gunboat 37. There were some issues with that design. This Moxie 37 is a new design boat based on the old boat. Looks like they got it right now. It seems like it often takes a few tries to get one close to 100%.
vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 15:24   #9

Dave,

Don't forget to factor the carbon fiber rotating wing mast in your sail area measurements. That should add a lot of power your won't find on most boats.

Steve
Old 01-10-2008, 15:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Dave,

Don't forget to factor the carbon fiber rotating wing mast in your sail area measurements. That should add a lot of power your won't find on most boats.

Steve
I had a rotater as well, sure not a wing, but the wing would add what? 4m2 (12m high x .4m chord) compared to my 2m2?

So extra 2m2 +or -

Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 16:26   #11

Doesn't sound underpowered to me. 66.6 m2 for a 3 tonne boat sounds like plenty. The Oram Mango is 4.2 tonne cruising, so probably similar empty, and has only 55m2 standard sailplan, and it goes well enough.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20   #12

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
I'm not sure but I think I might have seen it's big sister being launched in Cape Town 2 weeks ago.

Have a look in my gallery if the link doesn't work.
My boat is the first on the left and this thing was huge and looked spectacular!
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:28   #13

Adaero,

Here is link to the VPLP 61 that is under construction.

VPLP Yacht Design - Welcome
Old 02-10-2008, 05:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Doesn't sound underpowered to me. 66.6 m2 for a 3 tonne boat sounds like plenty. The Oram Mango is 4.2 tonne cruising, so probably similar empty, and has only 55m2 standard sailplan, and it goes well enough.
Gee that doesnt sound like much either

I must have just had an overly generous sailplan, but I always considered Simpson cats were fairly conservative.

Here are the specs in the pics, we started with the 9m ground effect (pic 1), widened her beam to 21 ft, added a couple of feet in length and went the bigger mast section like on the Sinewave (pic 2) and upped the sail area like the Sinewave and Backslash.(the Backslash would be a wild boat if a good one was built)

The heady he had allowed for was a non overlapping headsail, but we added considerably to that to get the numbers up close to the 60ish m2 for a 31ftx21ft weighing around 2200kg.

Would explain why we had to think fairly seriously about a tuck in the main and a heady change in 15 knots, but she sailed like a dream in 5 knots of wind

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Effect.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sine wave.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	5300  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backslash.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	5301  
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
I'm not sure but I think I might have seen it's big sister being launched in Cape Town 2 weeks ago.

Have a look in my gallery if the link doesn't work.
My boat is the first on the left and this thing was huge and looked spectacular!
Hallo Andy

the cat shown is actually a Matrix 76 , I believe this is hull number 3 build
Very luxurious and fast , build by Matrix Yachts
Matrix Yachts, catamarans, boats and yachts

When are you starting your Cruise

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote