Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2009, 05:18   #1

Boat: Catalac 8m
Mounting a Pedestal Seat on a Catalac 8m

Hello,

Visited the London Boat Show today (well I work at the Excel Exhibition Centre so I'll be pottering around all week) and bought one of these:

Wise Navy Pilot Chair Arms Pedestal Seat Motor Boat on eBay, also, Boat Engines Motors, Boats Watercraft, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-Feb-09 11:20:54 GMT)

Does anyone know the best way to attach the base of the pedestal to the boat?

Many thanks,

Simon

Old 11-01-2009, 06:06   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I couldn't get your link to work, but I had a boat yard install mine. When I examined their work I discovered it wasn't all that difficult.

From your cockpit lockers, if you look behind the stainless steel water tanks mounted on the inside of the hulls, you'll notice there is enough room under the bridge deck to insert a socket wrench with a longish handle to hold mounting nuts. It's a simple matter to put the pedestal base at your helm, drill the mounting holes and mount the pedestal base although it will take two people.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34   #3

Thanks Rick. The stainless steel water tanks are right at the back of the lockers on my boat (ie just infront of the rudders) are yours mounted further forward (trying to picture what you're describing)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:44   #4
cruiser

I have two stainless steel 35 gallon tanks, one in each hull. It's difficult to explain their location, but I'll give it a go.

Each tank is about 5 feet long running forward to aft and are mounted adjacent to the cockpit on the inner part of the hulls.

Does this help?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04   #5

Ok, I think I see what you mean Rick. I'll have a look next time I'm at the boat.

Thanks,

Simon
Old 30-01-2009, 09:05   #6
cruiser

Simon, How did you make out with the pedestal?

I've been distracted the last two weeks as the Catalac USA web site has undergone a complete renovation.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:53   #7

Hi Rick,

Not had a chance to get out to the boat yet. There's 6 inches of snow here in London (which is unheard of!) and the whole country has ground to a halt.

I'll keep you posted though. BTW,the new website looks great.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 04-02-2009, 11:57   #8
cruiser

London has snow??? Now that just has to be a record. I thought you guys just got rained on in the winter.

The Catalac Catamaran website is a labor of love. I think it's just about done. Thanks for the complement.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I couldn't get your link to work, but I had a boat yard install mine. When I examined their work I discovered it wasn't all that difficult.

From your cockpit lockers, if you look behind the stainless steel water tanks mounted on the inside of the hulls, you'll notice there is enough room under the bridge deck to insert a socket wrench with a longish handle to hold mounting nuts. It's a simple matter to put the pedestal base at your helm, drill the mounting holes and mount the pedestal base although it will take two people.
Hi Rick, I'm back to thinking about this seat question. I had a look at the weekend. I cant see anywhere to put a socket wrench from the inside of the lockers.

Is the deck just a solid piece of fibreglass, ie if I drill a hole in it , will the drill bit appear underneath the boat, or is there some kind of sandwich arrangement? I'm a bit nervous about starting to drill holes in the floor of my boat

I'm still trying to picture your setup, if you were to swim between the hulls, could you look up and see the bolts /nuts poking through, or is all this hardware hidden?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 03-06-2009, 04:17   #10
cruiser

It's a sandwich. I'd have a boatyard do it.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:44   #11
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
On the other hand Rick, if you drill oversized holes, 'pot' the holes with epoxy resin and drill the proper size holes through the epoxy you will have probably done a better job than most yards.

I can't, of course, speak to access on a Catalac 8m or othewise, but it sounds as if you and Simon are talking about different mounting points: he seems to be referring to drilling holes through the cockpit/bridgedeck sole, and you seem to be referring to mounting the pedestal on the cockpit seating area.

Brad
Old 03-06-2009, 13:03   #12

Hi Rick and Brad,

I want the seat to be directly behind the steering wheel (where Rick's is as far as I can see in his website pics).

Rick, I think I'm understanding what your saying now. Just to clarify though, is your pedestal pretty much in line with the centre of the steering wheel or is it slightly off to the left?

Simon
Old 03-06-2009, 17:29   #13
cruiser

It's inline with the wheel. I have water tanks mounted in cockpit lockers adjacent to the floor of the cockpit. I am able to look around them enough to realize there is a 15cm space ( 6 inches) between the underside of the cockpit and the bridgedeck. I have no idea how the yard was able to install washers and nuts in there. It's been 4 years since the seat was installed and I've had no trouble at all.
Old 14-06-2009, 06:23   #14

Thanks for all the advice guys. I took a look into the cockpit locker, it seems to be a different design to Rick's (there's no 6 inch gap) - basically I could mount a seat to the left of the steering wheel and tighten the nuts from inside the locker, but that would leave the seat (and me) outside the shelter of the doghouse.

Another Catalac owner mentioned using a bar stool, and so as I've run out of time (holiday booked from work starts tomorrow) I've bought one of these Red Faux Leather Eclipse Bar Stool and, weather permitting, depart for the Netherlands, tomorrow evening on the 18.00 high tide....

I'll let you all know how I get on with the barstool :-)

It will be my first trip accross the North Sea, so fingers crossed!
Old 14-06-2009, 08:28   #15
cruiser

Take some photos for us

Tags
catalac, pedestal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: