Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 02:51   #76

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Motor boat versus sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i paid 10k for entire boat and all electronix included and i havent had to spend more than 5k to make her sailable
Incredible seeing as all the formosa yankee clippers listed are around $85k
You managed to buy one and get a MASSIVE 87% discount as well

1980 Formosa Yankee Clipper Ketch Sail New and Used Boats for Sale
Used Formosa Ct 41 for Sale | Yachthub
Used 41' Formosa Yankee Clipper for Sale | Yachthub

Not only was it incredibly cheap but it can
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my formosa DOES sail in 5 KTS--NOT FAST, BUT MORE THAN 3 KTS
All from a $10,000 boat
Now that really is incredible

But wait, there's more
it has an engine that defies the specs
Quote:
my engine only uses .8 gal per hour at 2800 rpm and makes 7 kts..LOL
According to the spec sheet here
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Pe...e%20pt%202.jpg
Perkins 4108 produces 51bhp @4000rpm and uses 3.6 gph
at 3000rpm it produces 40bhp and uses 2.8gph

Yet your perkins uses a whopping 70% less than this one

This formosa has the larger 75hp motor
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-clipper/93403
it has a MAX speed of 7 knots from 75hp so says the ad.
You get that speed from under 40hp

You truly have the miracle vessel zeehag
It must be a wonderful dream
Old 19-06-2011, 03:18   #77
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of thread drift (away from mine's better than yours ).......

....anyone recognise this:-

Channel Island Boat Sales Ltd (Jersey, United Kingdom)

Brokers advert says 1988 - but I doubt that, given I remember a sister ship over here in the early 1970's Says built in Guernsey (which may be true - a few boat builders over there back then), but I have a vague notion of an Australian connection - but Google no help. Am thinking they were built / designed under a different name from "Swift."

Constructed from sheathed plywood (the old name for "Composite" ) hence the low price (and probably also fooked engines ), so might have been aimed at DIY builders. I think it cruised at 10 / 12 knots.

Reason for asking is simply that I always liked the look of them
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 04:15   #78

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
At the risk of thread drift (away from mine's better than yours ).......

....anyone recognise this:-

Channel Island Boat Sales Ltd (Jersey, United Kingdom)

Brokers advert says 1988 - but I doubt that, given I remember a sister ship over here in the early 1970's Says built in Guernsey (which may be true - a few boat builders over there back then), but I have a vague notion of an Australian connection - but Google no help. Am thinking they were built / designed under a different name from "Swift."

Constructed from sheathed plywood (the old name for "Composite" ) hence the low price (and probably also fooked engines ), so might have been aimed at DIY builders. I think it cruised at 10 / 12 knots.

Reason for asking is simply that I always liked the look of them
I think I recognize it at Least part of it. There was a power boat at the fuel dock here last week that had 2 speeds stop and go. As well he couldn't manage docking well. Any way I recognize the hull it's mine! The deck is the catamaran that was tied up behind me the rest is the guy trying to dock at 15 knots. So it is a late 70s and an 88 and 03 build year.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 04:32   #79
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I think I recognize it at Least part of it. There was a power boat at the fuel dock here last week that had 2 speeds stop and go. As well he couldn't manage docking well. Any way I recognize the hull it's mine! The deck is the catamaran that was tied up behind me the rest is the guy trying to dock at 15 knots. So it is a late 70s and an 88 and 03 build year.
You kinda lost me halfway through
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 04:52   #80

Boat: PETERSON 44
Bad early am humor. Power boat wins which was thread question. Hits cat while docking goes airborne lands on my boat
Interesting result
Sorry good morning
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 05:00   #81

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Motor boat versus sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Classic. ???

As long as people have money..meaning not depending on free wind...there will be power boats. .
That was my main point fer sure; The rich will always have money. And people able to sell their homes and reinvest in a boat. Folks who must rely on bank financing? We know they're in trouble already. I haven't seen any sign that that will change here in the US in the near future. We've seen that a radical change in politics wasn't the answer. Nor will it change things much imho if we do a radical switch back or not.

I agree with the folks who called the thread based on a silly question. You know power/sail when you start looking if you have any experience at all. I don't care what size your vessel, sailing is much more physical work than powerboating. There was a poster here a few days back who started out wanting a "first large ship." Within days, he'd switched to a big sailing cat. He sounded like a singlehander. Let's hope he's able to handle it. He's moving up from a small Bayliner so he has a lot of education ahead.

Cat Man Do has hung in there in the debate. We know, or could know, that he's been there and done that on sailing cats. His needs/wants have evolved to include a king size bed, and we all suspect that's about keeping the wife happy and so fing what? Who among us small boat relative "have nots" wouldn't want a clothes washer and a watermaker? Too large cruising hassles made far easier. This isn't the micro-budget thread.

Another interesting post pointed out that numbers of sailboats are traveling the ICW with masts down. Makes sense to me, but the poster has also noticed (many?) sailboats with no masts aboard at all. That's a development I was unaware of. In fact I kinda wonder if the masts are stored in a yard in Lauderdale or Miami to be stepped when past all those goddamn bridges while the boats do their seasonal transit? That doesn't sound real dumb either. I've sailed the ICW in Florida plenty but the bridges take the fun out of it.

Zee- I mean this in the CF "be nice" way: I'd call BS on you about the sailing being so wonderful and exhilarating in 60+ knots and 20' seas except that you seem generally so goofy it might be true. How often have you actually enjoyed that on purpose? I don't see the fun of watching things break or worrying about it. And break they do.

But no one will believe you get 7 kts with a used diesel moving all that boat on a couple of shots of fuel an hour. And 3 kts in a light breeze under sail with your boat seems a little unlikely too.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 05:20   #82

I was told that many of the larger private sailing mega-yachts motor port to port if owner is not aboard as it is cheaper, maintenance-wise to use the engines, than wear and tear on sails and rigging.
The t-head at this dock has had 2 of the wealthiest people - both with sailboats. So money is not always the issue- "Maltese Falcon" and "EOS".
2 other wealthy people I know are buying vessels - one for a long term world cruise - neither want to be bothered with "all that stuff" - especially as you can negate the bridges and do over 40 knots...And makes sense for the East Coast Bahamas trips.
Sailing and inter-coastal? who does that?
motors are great/mandatory for coastal but for ocean - hardly necessary. I sailed across the Pacific - light/fickle winds - camping out many days and nights (which is wonderful). Filled up in Panama, and topped up in Fiji before heading to NZ...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 23:25   #83

I have a 43 ft aluminium motor sailor trimaran.
"beau's boat" on CF.
It is powered by 2x 90 hp two stroke outboards which give me a max of 17 knots.
However that uses quite a bit of petrol, although I do have 1000 litres of capacity.
I have purchased a 10 hp yamaha with high thrust prop to use when I motor /sail.
I have a low cost sail rig, a 20 ft mast and oceanic lateen sail plus two other jib type sails all cut flat.(cheap polytarp, $30 each?)
Currently at Cairns (yorkeys knob) waiting for our Cait for indonesia.
Coming up from Brisbane I found the ability to motor in calms, important.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 23:54   #84
CFR

my 0,20 $. i was long in the same evaluation i consider to 150 k to buy a ocean capable motor boat or sailor. i spoke to many steel boat yards in the netherland, to Northhavn and to some designers. most told me to forget a trawler style motorbout under 45-50 feet if you want to have a real ocean going one. i read many books like beebs and diesel ducks etc

if you go thru the availble boats you can not find a 45 feet motorboat in a decent condistion with low houirs on the engine for 150 k. i visited some but they have been worn out or rusted etc after 20 years. if you need new engines etc it getting costly.

Diesel cost is did not really count because if i calculate marina costs, maintenace, insurance etc diesel is one expense on the lower side if you doing 2000 nm / year.

I ended up with a 45 aluminum sailor with new sails and a small 2 zyl Sabb diesel . this boat is 100% ocean going and will give a safe feeling. the engine give me 7 knots if there is no wind at 1,5 l/hr. and i really like to shut down the diesel and go sailing.

for the same buying price i say a sailing boat will be allways more ocean capable and cheaper to run. of course if money is no problem i would immedtly buy a FPB 64 from the dashews...... an if you spent 2,8 mio for this FPB no need to worry about 10.000 a year for diesel.....
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 23:32   #85

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran

Sailboats are the best toys a man can ask for in life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	68461  
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 23:55   #86

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

After turning senior citizen, I switched from sailboat to motorboat (with vestigial sails). I'm not disappointed.

Tags
motor, sail