Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 11:27   #1

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Moorings in Eastern Florida

Hello All,

Once the boat is in the water, who knows when on that, I plan on taking it to Florida to enjoy my retirement. I have been looking for marinas in the Ft. Pierce area but the last quote I got was $17/foot because of my beam (23'). I can't afford that in retirement.

Is there any place I can put in a mooring in the Ft. Pierce area? I have a 500# mushroom, 1" bottom chain, and 3/4" top chain here in Rhode Island since mooring requirements are based on the length, not weight of the boat.

I've been reading the Florida State Pilot Program for Mooring but that seems to address transient anchoring and marina owned mooring fields.

So, no luck finding any information on the internet. Does anyone have some local knowledge to share?
Old 22-07-2014, 11:52   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Moorings in Eastern Florida

Not in Ft. Pierce but at the port of Palm Beach there is a long time mooring field around and south of Peanut Island. Moorings can still be installed where you can find adequate room. There is a local sail club where you can become a member for dinghy dock and parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 21:53   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

If your plan is to move aboard and just sit... you are in for a rude awakening. Florida is not friendly to "live aboards". In fact, the new proposals would limit living aboard in a mooring field to 6 months in a 12 month period, regardless of where you are staying. They want you in a marina or out.

You may want to consider Nettles Island (just a few miles south of the Fort Pierce Inlet). This is a small family owned marina. I think we paid around $360 a month including power for our slip. You will need a car or scooter though because there isn't much in a reasonable walking distance. Also, its located in a retirement "over 55" community but you get access to the community facilities, of which there are many... like putt putt, a work out center, tennis, pickle ball courts, etc. Its a gated secure community with guards 24/7 so we felt very safe. There are about a dozen live aboards.

With that said, we are staying here in St. Augustine through hurricane season, about 7 months, while we work and enjoy the town. Its also costing us $360 a month on a city mooring and we get access to the great town, a cruisers lounge (AC!) and very clean restrooms/showers.

We have friends here that spent 20 years on their circumnavigation (left from California, went west and have not finished yet) just slowly going from one place to the next, so they make us feel better about being here so long!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 04:36   #4

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Thanks Zboss,

I don't want to liveaboard. I just need a marina I can afford. I'll check out your suggestion. Thanks again.
Old 24-07-2014, 06:33   #5

I would be surprised if you can find anyplace where you can just place your own mooring. If it is in a private field, they will want you to use their moorings, and will charge you for them. If it is in an area open to public anchoring... Well, then, you've got a whole different set of issues if you try to claim exclusive use to the location by setting a mooring there.

Good luck to you, whatever you end up doing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:47   #6

Have you checked www.activecaptain.com?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 08:10   #7

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
If your plan is to move aboard and just sit... you are in for a rude awakening. Florida is not friendly to "live aboards". In fact, the new proposals would limit living aboard in a mooring field to 6 months in a 12 month period, regardless of where you are staying. They want you in a marina or out.

You may want to consider Nettles Island (just a few miles south of the Fort Pierce Inlet). This is a small family owned marina. I think we paid around $360 a month including power for our slip. You will need a car or scooter though because there isn't much in a reasonable walking distance. Also, its located in a retirement "over 55" community but you get access to the community facilities, of which there are many... like putt putt, a work out center, tennis, pickle ball courts, etc. Its a gated secure community with guards 24/7 so we felt very safe. There are about a dozen live aboards.

With that said, we are staying here in St. Augustine through hurricane season, about 7 months, while we work and enjoy the town. Its also costing us $360 a month on a city mooring and we get access to the great town, a cruisers lounge (AC!) and very clean restrooms/showers.

We have friends here that spent 20 years on their circumnavigation (left from California, went west and have not finished yet) just slowly going from one place to the next, so they make us feel better about being here so long!

ShaktiGurl is exactly right. In fact we pretty much live aboard full time and have since 2012 and not in a marina. That said we do use our boat allot and she doesnt just sit collecting bird dropings. Keep your boat clean sail it from time to time and no one hassels you reguardless of the post to the conterary. There are many established mooring fields around the state so just pick an area you like and tie up. The mooring field South of Peanut island is un regulated and we self police keeping an eye on each others boats. Zack from Eastern Marine Services will install you a very robust mooring and maintain it for you at a very reasonable cost. Check it out.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
ShaktiGurl is exactly right. In fact we pretty much live aboard full time and have since 2012 and not in a marina. That said we do use our boat allot and she doesnt just sit collecting bird dropings. Keep your boat clean sail it from time to time and no one hassels you reguardless of the post to the conterary. There are many established mooring fields around the state so just pick an area you like and tie up. The mooring field South of Peanut island is un regulated and we self police keeping an eye on each others boats. Zack from Eastern Marine Services will install you a very robust mooring and maintain it for you at a very reasonable cost. Check it out.
I've heard the same thing about that location. I'm afraid the tides are turning as far as just putting down anchor and walking away to collect bird droppings. Even so, the new rules were just reviewed in Tallahassee this Monday and Tuesday - we will see what becomes of them.
Old 24-07-2014, 15:01   #9

I think you can find a spot. ask around. I've seen boats in that area of Florida that sat for a year or two on an anchor. No one towed them away because (I assume) they were not right in front of someone's mansion or in a high traffic area etc. Often anchored off a mangrove area etc off the ICW. Of course they are at risk for theft etc. I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 16:19   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

There is a mooring field outside of The Titusville Municipal Marina at the the space center. They get $240 a month including parking space , dinghy dock, showers , 12 passenger van for shopping free of charge and a ships store

Also Sunrise in Stewart Florida is $300 a month for the same features.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 17:05   #11

I can't recommend Titusville. Too much fetch and, at least when we were there in January, the moorings were not in good shape.

Sent from somewhere other than where I want to be!
Old 06-08-2014, 18:31   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
I can't recommend Titusville. Too much fetch and, at least when we were there in January, the moorings were not in good shape.
Dunno, there's lots of boats out there. Did you pull your mooring up?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I can definetly give the Sunset marina moorings in Stuart a thumbs up.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:30   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:

Sent from somewhere other than where I want to be!
Yeah, we were there in May and it looked kind of neglected although someone said in another thread there was good maintenance on them but some balls were missing and others didn't have pendants.
Old 07-08-2014, 14:04   #15

Boat: csy 37

There are also a large number of anchor outs just outside the mooring field in titusville, been there for at least a dozen years.

There is a small anchorage in daytona beach near marker 44 where a dozen or more boats are on self installed moorings. One is a full time liveaboard who has been there at least 5 years.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, mooring