Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 00:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MK1 1991
Mooring your Catamaran in Southern California

So, I have a 42 ft monohull in Southern California. While sailing around, once in a while I see a catamaran, but my biggest question has always been where do these cats dock? Are they at a slip? Or the end-spots on a dock? Or are they always tied up to a mooring?

Is it really hard to find end-spots on docks? Thanks for any insights someone can give me. My wife was hinting to me about a catamaran, so I'm just curious.

Thanks.
dkchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:26   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Mooring your Catamaran in Southern California

Most are on end ties, a very few are on moorings or in slips. Having a cat in SoCal is fairly problematic. We have been on a waiting list in Ventura for over 10 years. In that time a slip became available once, but we were on the other side of the world and had to decline. Once a cat owner manages to find a place for the boat in SoCal they are very reluctant to give it up, sometimes at the expense of their cruising dreams. We have spent a lot of time on the hook off of Santa Barbara, but that is difficult when you have to be at work in the morning and face a mile long slog in the dinghy against the weather. Best option is to buy the cat and go sailing.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:36   #3

Boat: Catalina 42 MK1 1991

That's what I figured. A couple years ago when we were in the market for a boat. We looked at catamarans. We were thinking of purchasing a cat, but then a friend of mine asked me where I was going to put it. So I went with a monohull where it had a slip already. It was a lot easier then to get into a boat than to keep on waiting for a spot.

Do you know anything about the Redondo Beach or Marina Del Rey to permanently moor a boat there?
dkchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:30   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You might want to check Cabrillo Way Marina in San Pedro. New marina not yet full. Some end ties may still be available. (310) 514-4985

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:36   #5

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkchen View Post
Is it really hard to find end-spots on docks? Thanks for any insights someone can give me. My wife was hinting to me about a catamaran, so I'm just curious.

Thanks.
Used to live in SoCal, was looking for a slip in the early 2000's, got on a bunch of waiting lists, then I talked to one of the charter outfits about putting it in their charter fleet, and with one call they found a slip. Have also heard from brokers down there they have "connections" and intimated for the right price many things were possible. Translation, you just calling and getting on a waiting list is for suckers. Make it a condition of the purchase and one of the brokers will find you a nice end tie. The dockmasters know who is coming and going, who they are able to move or negotiate a swap. They won't do that for john-q-public, but will for a broker or for other inducements.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:53   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I have my 40' Lagoon parked in Channel Islands, and my broker definitely helped find the slip, though I don't think it was much special treatment other than doing the legwork for me and good timing, the marina was happy to fill the slot.

I am seeing many more catamarans appear in SoCal, and my broker (Naos Yachts, whom I recommend) has sold something like 6 Lagoon catamarans into this market in the last year alone.

Marina Del Rey is packed, of course, but I think there may be end ties in Ventura, Channel Islands, or San Pedro.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:17   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

So basically it's;
- Who you know
- (And) Or, some $ "to open a few opportunities"

Funny thing is, back in the early 90's, it was Hard to find even monohull slips. For 30'ers even. Makes me wonder where the boats went, as it's not like they're adding new real estate for marinas much.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 07:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Funny thing is, back in the early 90's, it was Hard to find even monohull slips. For 30'ers even. Makes me wonder where the boats went, as it's not like they're adding new real estate for marinas much.
At the Harbor Patrol office in Channel Islands they have an aerial photo of the harbor taken about 10 years ago. Almost every slip is occupied, yet today some of the marinas seem to be at about 50% occupancy. I think it's not just the economy, but the fact that back in the day small boats were relatively affordable, not so much now.

Old 19-01-2016, 07:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
Marina Del Rey is packed, of course, but I think there may be end ties in Ventura, Channel Islands, or San Pedro.
We got the last end tie available in Ventura or CI when we moved to CI last year. When we left to head south in the fall there was already a boat waiting for our slip. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of monohulls and power boats occupying end ties in Southern Calif. It seems though, that, as occupancy dwindles, marina managers are starting to make an effort to reserve end ties for multihulls.

Tags
cal, california, catamaran, mooring