Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 21:42   #1

Mooring With a Carabiner

Is anybody using a carabiner attached to a bridle to hook onto a mooring ball on a transient (overnight) basis.? Mantis sells a bridle system which has a chain hook as well as a carabiner. The carabiner is supposed to used when attaching to a mooring. The SWL for the carabiner is 2000 pounds and the breaking strength is 8000 pounds. Wichard sells a similar carabiner as well. The safe working loads and breaking strength seem to be similar to the chain hook. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good or safe option. The boat is a leopard 44 catamaran. It is difficult to find good data for loads exerted by a catamaran while on a mooring. ABYC Data is mainly based on boat length of monohulls but not catamarans. They also don't take into account the gross tonnage of the boat or the free board of the catamaran. Most of the data is also based on anchoring so the scope is different which affects the load. Who knows ,it may not matter!
Based on my research it seems like ABYC data is skewed to the high side. The only reference I found specifically for a catamaran was an old Practical Sailor article that calculated the max load at 40knts wind for a lagoon 38 on a mooring. It was 1400 or so pounds.

Basically my question is ...would you use a carabiner attached to a bridle to attach to a mooring ball? Most of the time it's just going to be the wife and myself sailing so I'm looking for a quick and easy system to attach to a mooring ball. Presently we use the traditional method of lines on the port and starboard forward cleat that are fed through the eye of the mooring pennant and doubled back and secured to their respective cleats. I'm looking for a quick and easy shortcut but I want to be safe about it.
There has been some talk about this on the forum in the past but the thread usually drifts towards anchoring. I want to be very clear ...I am not talking about anchoring but rather about using a carabiner at the end of a bridle to attach to a mooring ball.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 21:56   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Mooring With a Carabiner

my concern would be when departing the weather may be such that it could be very difficult to detach.
Old 18-05-2016, 22:11   #3

True, but why would you depart in such bad weather?

Old 18-05-2016, 22:29   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Some places (BKH being one) have a rule that only rope can be used on the plastic eye on the line from the mooring ball. No metal of any type is allowed.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 22:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Some places (BKH being one) have a rule that only rope can be used on the plastic eye on the line from the mooring ball. No metal of any type is allowed.

To clarify I want to say that I will only be sailing in and around the Caribbean. My schedule is such that I work two weeks on and two weeks off so no plans to cross oceans or go to far off places just yet. I'm based in Puerto Rico but may leave the boat at different locales in and around the Caribbean and just go back-and-forth to the boat.

Old 18-05-2016, 23:32   #6
cruiser

Run a rope through the eye and return it to the boat. What could be easier for releasing from the mooring ball the next day? Windy weather or not?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 00:27   #7

I would be concerned it with corroding over time and becoming jammed stuck. I doubt hinges and locking rings like salt water.

beiners are normally rated in KN. a high end steel 40kn beiner will be of closely equal strength to a 1/2" line. the alum ones are probably more like 25kn.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 01:04   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The aluminum ones don't hold up well around salt water. And to really be secure, you'd want one with a locking gate. Most likely, auto-locking. Which do require a bit of dexterity to open.

So then, in order to detach from the mooring, someone has to make the boat hover, where the mooring ball is within arm's reach of another person hanging over the forward crossbeam. A beam that's likely 5' off of the water, whereas the mooring ball is 2' high.
Not something worth trying in anything but the most benign weather, in my book.

You could possibly connect to the mooring ball with a Sparcraft snap shackle. And rig a remote trip line through the shackle's trigger.
Though, then, the question which arises, is how long until the shackle accidentally gets tripped. By the trip line getting entangled in the mooring line, or on the mooring ball.

So... pretty much, the best bet is to stick with the basic setup of a line/lines through the mooring ball's eye.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:08   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The use of a mechanical connector for making the initial connection is valid... the "caribeener on a stick" kind of thing. This can make getting hooked up under difficult conditions much easier, and then one can reeve the proper line to the mooring eye at your leisure.

But IMO using such a thing for longer term usage is asking for trouble. I would not do so.

Jim
Old 19-05-2016, 06:53   #10

Seems like we have a general consensus
Thanks

Old 19-05-2016, 06:58   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just ordered one of these things
Robship Hook & Moor Boat Hook - Telescopic: 3.7 to 9.8 Feet

It's the current Active Captain defender special, but I've been wanting to try it anyway, being on sale is what decided me. Hope it works as well as it looks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 07:10   #12

From experience, if it's an aluminum carabiner galvanic corrosion between the steel pin/spring and aluminum body. I have a couple that have the nice white fuzz and some pitting.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:04   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I just ordered one of these things
Robship Hook & Moor Boat Hook - Telescopic: 3.7 to 9.8 Feet

It's the current Active Captain defender special, but I've been wanting to try it anyway, being on sale is what decided me. Hope it works as well as it looks.

I have one and it works pretty neat. Only used it a couple of times so far. It's great for hooking up to a mooring ball that doesn't have a pennant or has one you don't trust. My bow is fairly high so I couldn't reach a mooring ball from on deck without it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:23   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

For a couple years I used a carabiner to attach to the ring on my dingy. After all, it can't get free, can it? Well, one day I looked back and the dingy was no longer attached! The carabiner had slipped off the ring of the dingy. Given that the painter was under load there should have been absolutely no way this could have happened, but it did.

I say don't do it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:50   #15

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
For a couple years I used a carabiner to attach to the ring on my dingy. After all, it can't get free, can it? Well, one day I looked back and the dingy was no longer attached! The carabiner had slipped off the ring of the dingy. Given that the painter was under load there should have been absolutely no way this could have happened, but it did.

I say don't do it.
I have had the same thing happen. If you must use a carabiner it should be a locking one, that is one that has a small barrel on the gate that threads over the end of the gate to prevent opening. Also, only quality SS will work. AL carabiners wont last anytime in salt H2O
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring