Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-10-2012, 09:42   #1

Mooring on Beach

Does anyone know of a way to protect a cats hulls from banging on the beach/seabed, if you want to moor off the beach, but tidal movement is extreme and will leave you dry in low tide. I was thinking about inflatable rollers. The cat is 42 feet. Thanks antpe

antpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:09   #2

Re: mooring on beach

Some cruisers fabricate Stainless Steel shoes to their keel bottoms

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:30   #3

Re: mooring on beach

Thanks, I will add these, but it's the banging on the bottom as the tide goes out that I'm trying to avoid, i'm not sure if there is a solution
antpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 14:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Back to just the Jon boat.
Re: Mooring on Beach

I always wondered about that too. Never tried anything, but...........

Figured maybe (maybe) stand off from intended point of rest till proper time/depth. Then run it in till aground.

If it works let me know.
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 14:37   #5

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,signet20,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

generally with 6m tides around here we "work the tides",so for an extended lay up on the beach we put th boat on at highwater springs,after mhws each sucessive tide will be smaller,leaving you high and dry till the next mhws,could be 2 weeks or 6 months if you get your sums wrong!

takes about 15 minutes on the flood for my boat to float,with 2 1/2 ft draft
latest project
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 14:43   #6

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

The previous owner of our 40' cat placed fenders beneath the hulls as the tide dropped. We generally look for a spot with no passing traffic, soft bottom with no rocks and no waves and just gently run her aground at high tide.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 15:03   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Opinions seem to vary (on CF) when it comes to catamarans.....some folks say it is nothing to worry about and doesn't even abrade the antifouling.

However, IME boats are affected by gravity and therefore the boat pounding onto the shore is a consideration even when they are capable of drying out upright (now and again around here Monos do have bilgekeels broken off / punched through - boat goes up - sea goes out - boat comes down! don't mean an instant failure but several tons dropping even "only" 6 inches onto stress points ain't good for long term health)........what that means is that sometimes it is simply not a good idea to be on the beach / to think very carefully about where and when you do so.......and to be happy that the boat has been built to take more than it's own weight on it's keels and anything else that is likely to be touching down. But as I said, I have learnt from CF that certain things don't apply to both Monos and Multis. Whether that includes gravity seems to be a personal choice........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 01:27   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

All our previous boats (multis) had half tide moorings so dried/lifted twice a day for 6 months of the year for 10+ years. They were on soft mud and stones. There are 2 issues.

Abrasion of the hull/antifouling you can prevent by using keel shoes and a hard antifouling such as coppercoat (epoxy/copper) otherwise live with losing some antifouling. We did neither and had no real problems except that by the end of the season we got fouling in those areas rubbed clean.

Pounding. If the bottom is hard enough and the area subject to any swell/waves then the boat will pound and eventually do structural damage. If you have ever been on a boat drying on hard sand just once you will recognise the problem. We occasionally would dry out on sand when cruising in sheltered areas in benign weather and the whole boat would shake/thud heavily for a period while taking on/off. In this, soft mud is your best friend, we never ever felt the boat take the ground or lift off on our mooring
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 02:28   #9

Yep, as above, wait till the tide is at the perfect level and run her aground. Preferably without any rocks nearby. That way, it only hits once usually.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 23:40   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
Beached to give the bottom a scrub. You need a nice sand bar in a sheltered spot and work out the tides so you can get on and get off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2173416165.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	49610  

Lagoon 420D
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: