Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 13:21   #91

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Monohulllers, Tell Us What You Like About Multihulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sorry Muskova I stand by what I said. I'm fully aware that the Seawind doesn't have the best finish of the production cats but it's far away from being the worst.
The Gunboats are way out of my price range. The Outremers that I can afford are all in Europe. And the Privilege is a beautiful boat but doesn't have the performance I'm looking for.
No need to get your panties in a wad. I like FP's but they are built to a price point and I find their interiors not well done. Having said that I would love an older Casamance or Fidji as they were definetly designed for performance.
You left out one of the best cats, Catana. Much better fit than the rest except Privilege but real performance. I expect a Catana will outsail just about any comparable length mono on any point of sail. And you can get one with Corian for the best of both worlds. Life is good!
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:50   #92
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You left out one of the best cats, Catana. Much better fit than the rest except Privilege but real performance. I expect a Catana will outsail just about any comparable length mono on any point of sail. And you can get one with Corian for the best of both worlds. Life is good!
I really like the older Catanas, mid eighties to mid nineties. I've heard some horror stories on the build of quite a few of the newer ones.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 15:02   #93

I realy like this one, dirt cheap aswell....

Sorry about the pic size...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38   #94

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Well out with the stainless and in with the corian then.
Will my cat be cool then?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07   #95

Well here is my STORY!
I was 35 when I was introduced to a Trimaran it happened at work I am a IT Guy, I work the help desk and take care of users!

This one day we hired a new addition to our IT dept. it was a lady, her name was Renee, I will never forget this we started talking about sailing how she has a friend that has a trimaran and he was doing a benefit at this lake nearby it was at Marine state park in Pennsylvania .

I was going to school for a BS degree and was very busy I didn’t have time to ride on someone’s boat I thought it was just beneath me. I said to her a trimaran? “I grew up on Monohulls and I am going to have one day, I said we use to race and everything my dad was a nut case we went out in storms and stuff and sailed in conditions that we shouldn’t have!

Now that I look back I think “I should be dead” my dad owned a Abbott 33 what a boat that was, we had her in at least 50 knots of wind she would hummmm” and we had no worries I was 15 years old then. We were in Gainesville Georgia on Lake Lanier. Then is 1989 we moved to PA. The boat was left at a friend’s house on the lake and almost sank the drain holes were stuck with leaves clogged up. Well you know what happens. So my dad went to Georgia one year and moved it to PA. We restored her and put her on Lake Erie. I am now 41 still don’t have my first boat yet!

So Renee tells me “oh we go to Florida he puts his boat in and we do easily 15 to 22 knots for hours! As soon as she said that, I said “What, no boat does that; most monos only can get to 10 knots if it is really blowing and you would be freaking out for one!” so she is telling me yes I am serious this boat goes very fast, I still would not believe her, so she gives me this website and for weeks I would look at this and read on it; it was a Corsair 24!

So with me still not believing her I went to this fund raiser and paid my 20 bucks to ride on this boat! Met the owner and he was a long time hobie racer awesome dude! Laid back sailor, so we start going and I notice the nice square top main he pulls it up, and then unrolls the jib! In a matter of minutes we had the hull out of the water and all I did was giggle! There wasn’t really any wind out on the water either we were doing 7 knots I was turning to ask him is this right then we get a puff of are the boat would feel like someone picked it up and nudge it forward as the ama came up out of the water, all I said was “WOW” this is to cool! All other boats on the water were sitting still, we passed a boat and the skipper yells across the water “Do you have your motor on” We yelled back and said “NO” it’s just a Trimaran!

So that day was my jumping the fence to Multihull enthusiast, now it’s all I want now! I talk it, I sleep it, I dream it, my wife is sick of me talking it! So now I have read so much and learned a lot by talking to people on forums, and one year I met a couple up at Lake Erie Yacht club! I met them online in a forum, they offered me a ride on their F28R me my wife and son went up, it was blowing like 25 knots that day, and these people were in their 60s and tuff as nails! We went out in this wind and the owner did not reef anything! He had a full main it was big man! It went up and up it was 500 square foot at least just the one main sail! Then a full jib, we were going so fast you felt like your body was flying off the boat, we reached 22 knots that day and I was just in OHHH”

Now I was for sure a Multihull sick O! I was crazy that day feeling like no one knows what I just did only the people aboard and really I don’t think they knew the force we drove through that water, all other monos were not on the lake, I would have reefed it but wow what a ride the force of the waves would stop the boat for a second then it would pound through the waves and shoot forward with a thrust of power! So now my goal is to own a trimaran and go out in 7 knots of wind and be on calm water and just move along like no other boat can in those conditions, and wait for a sunset to fall on me!

BUT NOW I just bought a 1980 REYNOLDS Catamaran!
Happy to be a Multihuller
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11   #96

OK here is the Americas AC45 Recap!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=YF2iq...e_gdata_player
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59   #97

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post

BUT NOW I just bought a 1980 REYNOLDS Catamaran!
Happy to be a Multihuller
So...............ummmm.....................then you are multihuller and this is the wrong thread.

You must go to the other and tell what you like about monos.
Old 10-12-2011, 13:36   #98
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Okay, let's give them some extra arguments:

- cats don't need spinnaker poles
- most cats have 2 engines
- cats don't need bow thrusters
- most cats come with efficient, full batten main sails
- cats have a perfect dinghy storage
- cats behave pretty good at anchor
- cats have an easy job of finding locations for solar panels
- cats are much easier to work on during haul-out and don't fall over

I see this argument thats cats are more spacious but I don't agree with that at all; the most spacious yachts I have seen are all monohulls.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:36   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Okay, let's give them some extra arguments:

- cats don't need spinnaker poles
- most cats have 2 engines
- cats don't need bow thrusters
- most cats come with efficient, full batten main sails
- cats have a perfect dinghy storage
- cats behave pretty good at anchor
- cats have an easy job of finding locations for solar panels
- cats are much easier to work on during haul-out and don't fall over

I see this argument thats cats are more spacious but I don't agree with that at all; the most spacious yachts I have seen are all monohulls.

ciao!
Nick.
I would hope they are spacious inside because they take up a lot of bloody quay space when med-style moored. Two monos or one #&%€ cat
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:47   #100
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
I would hope they are spacious inside because they take up a lot of bloody quay space when med-style moored. Two monos or one #&%€ cat
When a cat is twice as wide it sure can have more interior space... but so does a mono that is twice as wide as the one you compare it with. I know you are comparing vs same overall length, but that is a flawed way of comparing the two. Better is same speed or same price or same beam etc

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 18:18   #101

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
When a cat is twice as wide it sure can have more interior space... but so does a mono that is twice as wide as the one you compare it with. I know you are comparing vs same overall length, but that is a flawed way of comparing the two. Better is same speed or same price or same beam etc

ciao!
Nick.
Exactly. So a Gemini would probably have as much space as Hoppys Jenneau 40 and might even be cheaper at those marinas. And that little Gemini is a great little coastal cruiser. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 19:11   #102

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

" Don't get the whole debate."

The debate is about the multihulls coming into the Western Yachting scene and now kind of "kicking A" right on through it.

Back in the old days, Captn Cook sailed into the Pacific and found savage dugouts sailing rings around his mighty ships. They not only sailed around him, they had colonized the whole Pacific and regularly made voyages of thousands of miles. They were doing this when Europeans were tentatively trying to coastal sail down to the tip of Africa.

The idea of having a proper sailboat has propelled this debate. I don't know what the proper boat is. Probably the oldest is the skin of frame kayaks that have existed for 10's of thousands of years, plus the culture that must have carried over through the ice age. Then you have all that has happened, here and there, since.

We only live here on earth a few decades and in that time have to learn about beam/lenght coefficents and sail area/displacement ratios, and epoxy, and allergies to epoxy, and there is a wealth of knowledge that sometimes gets carried forward and sometimes lost forever. The business of sailing seems to be part of our DNA and goes on, permeating our lives. We are on a Cruiser's Forum, which means we are eager to contibute and glean information from others of our ilk. We exist all over the globe and represent the descendents of those that carried the human race all over the planet. It didn't happen on land with Hannibal's elephants. It happened on the shore lines with fishermen and watermen making their way along the coast to new lands.

So the debate is within us, the sailors, we are all as one, tied to the sea, and we continue the traditions, and can argue amongst ourselves about sea things, but we are glad to greet each other in our ports of call and acknowledge our kinship as being of the global sea.

The Scandinavian saying is that when we die our souls go out like a breath of air and of the sailors, they get reincarnated as a bird of the sea. When I am on the boat and working some difficutly, I notice the birds, some of them on perches and watching, some of them soaring around in whatever wind there is. I'd like to soar like that, but I've usually got to fix a bilge pump or work on something else, I've got a fast multihull, that is it's "fast" to the dock. There is a Norwegian pilot boat
The total reconstruction of an old Norwegian pilot boat up the channel from me and we've both exchanged pleasantries. When we go out there it is the same sea, and we can argue about each other, but the sea doesn't argue. Each skipper has to make his own decisions, and we can't really go against each other, we are the ones who sail, we are the ones who's lives are at peril, if we make a mistake.

I think the deabte is within us, and not that much of a debate. Just another talking point if the taps are working. I regularly sail on other people's big heavy monohulls, and we also sail on the catamaran for pleasure. The real debate is those fishermen and those crab pots..
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 19:28   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
The real debate is those fishermen and those crab pots..
You leave my crab pots out of it...........
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 19:48   #104

I just came down the atlantic ICW. I'm tired of looking for an anchorage and seeing a cat happily anchored in 4 feet of water, hearing them tell power boats about to pass, "keep it coming captain. you won't bother us", "30 knot winds and 6 foot seas. Better put a non skid coaster under the coffee cup", or I use all chain rode. In fact I just replaced all 20 feet of it."

What kind of character can a boat like that build?
mellowseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 13:25   #105
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

*Always a place to get comfortable

*Great swim/diving platform

*As mentioned, easier work in the galley (not that I cook much, but make a good cup of coffee for the captain). Also, easier using the head!

*No worries about rolling out of the bunk when off watch.

*More stable platform for adding fuel to the tanks when needed.

*Plenty of room to drop the genoa when you blow the halyard entering the Windward Passage.

*A comfortable place to sit when at the helm.

*Easy access to the nav-station.

*I was on this mono for 27 hours. I got my share of bruises. More than on the cat from Fl. to Colombia.

I enjoy whatever I'm sailing on, mono or multi.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote