Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 149 35.73%
Multihull 268 64.27%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 20:13   #46
Kai Nui

But Joli, gentlemen never sail to weather
Old 04-01-2007, 02:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
But Joli, gentlemen never sail to weather
Hahaha. Do you also believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa?

How about commenting on the finish results? The Carib 1500 is 50% reaching and the ARC is a downhill slide. How is it a Catana 582 is slower than a Swan 56 or a Lagoon 41 is slower than a Island Packet 38?

Truth!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:26   #48

Boat: now floating easy37
hmm when i think of performance catamarans the first name that springs into my mind is the speedy lagoon especially the leccy versions with kilos of batteries
now had there been a crowther or schionning in there the mix would have been different
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:47   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli
Hahaha. Do you also believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa?

How about commenting on the finish results? The Carib 1500 is 50% reaching and the ARC is a downhill slide. How is it a Catana 582 is slower than a Swan 56 or a Lagoon 41 is slower than a Island Packet 38?

Truth!
You want truth - you cant handle the truth (said with a jack nicholson accent).

Truth is the fastest boats round the world are and have been multis in single handed and crewed for a long time. Truth is the Brisbane to Gladstone race always has the multis finishing in front of the monos.

Mabe the catana was loaded up - maybe the skipper cant sail who knows. How long did it tae fo you to find a race that suited your purposes. As for the lagoon, I wouldnt expect it to be quicker than a similar length mono. The catana v a swan, if each is well well sailed it will a close run thing. Depends on sails and skills.

As my friend from FNQ said - Lets see how a tectron 50 or a waterline 1480 goes.

I dont quite understand you Joli, why do you feel the need to attack multis? I am happy to share the world with my hull challenged friends. You sufferring from Hull envy?

Lets all just be friends and enjoy the differrences, personally I will never own a mono again. Doesnt mean that I expect other people to agree with me. doesnt men I dont enjoy their company and value their friendship.

Maybe its a north american thing, I dont know. Honestly - do you come looking to pick a fight?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:00   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
You want truth - you cant handle the truth (said with a jack nicholson accent).

Truth is the fastest boats round the world are and have been multis in single handed and crewed for a long time. Truth is the Brisbane to Gladstone race always has the multis finishing in front of the monos.

Mabe the catana was loaded up - maybe the skipper cant sail who knows. How long did it tae fo you to find a race that suited your purposes. As for the lagoon, I wouldnt expect it to be quicker than a similar length mono. The catana v a swan, if each is well well sailed it will a close run thing. Depends on sails and skills.

As my friend from FNQ said - Lets see how a tectron 50 or a waterline 1480 goes.

I dont quite understand you Joli, why do you feel the need to attack multis? I am happy to share the world with my hull challenged friends. You sufferring from Hull envy?

Lets all just be friends and enjoy the differrences, personally I will never own a mono again. Doesnt mean that I expect other people to agree with me. doesnt men I dont enjoy their company and value their friendship.

Maybe its a north american thing, I dont know. Honestly - do you come looking to pick a fight?
Factor, I'm not sure where you see me attacking anything about a multi. Maybe you need to go back and read the entire thread. If you do, you will see I corrected Cat Man Do's assertion that a mono is slow. I have pointed out that his statement

"Originally Posted by cat man do
Slow and leany more like it.

The "Tiltin Hilton"

Dave"

that a cruising multi is, in general, no faster then a cruising mono. I have indicated real life examples of cruising cats versus cruising mono's, the facts speak for themselves.

I readily admit that the fastest boats across the pond are the G Cats, they are faster then the largest monos like Mari Cha but I would hardly call either boat a cruising machine. Would you?

I don't consider a half dozen upside down ORMA 60's in the TJV representative of cruising multis. I don't consider an Open 60 loosing a keel representative of a crusing mono.

I know mono's can sink, cruising cats can flip, and boats can be in the wrong stretch of the ocean at the wrong time? These are thruths.

So, please explain how speaking the truth is an attack?

And I too am happy to be friends, maybe one day we'll meet on a beach with palm trees and share a rum punch and tell sea stories.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:10   #51

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli
And I too am happy to be friends, maybe one day we'll meet on a beach with palm trees and share a rum punch and tell sea stories.
Now that's cruising.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:07   #52

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
every single multihull sailor out there started off as a monohull sailor and knowing both choose a multi and every multihull except the powercats are delivered on their own bottom across the atlantic, and about 40% of them now come from South Africa as their first sail. give me a multi or give me land!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:31   #53

Oh, Kai Nui, friends of ours went from a Valiant 42 mono to a PDQ 44, and, according to them, made a big step up in terms of quality. You could probably say how Pacific Seacraft compares to Valiant much better than I.

Oh, and to Jolie, I'm lugging around 2 airconditioners, 700 watts of solar panels, a 10 ft rib and outboard, 120 gallons of diesels and water, and full wardrobes for 3 people winter and summer, business and casual, and around 2 weeks of food in a full chest freezer (111 liters) and seperate full refrigerator, and 4 full sized adult passangers in addition to my family and I'll do about 9 knots in 15 knots of wind on a reach and around 8 knots going about 45 degrees to true. Give me a spinnaker and on the reach I'll add around 2 knots. And my boat isn't a speedster, do an african cat and you'll be looking at probably a 30% faster boat with better load carrying capacity.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58   #54
Kai Nui

Joli, of course I believe in Santa She is VERY good to me every year As for yacht speed to yacht speed, in general, it seems that multis make faster passages. As for racing, not my bag. All I ask is that my boat sail well, make fast comfortable passages, and hold up under extremes. I believe my trimaran will fit that bill. Are there monos that will out run her? SURE! So?
As for the Valiant 42 to the PDQ 44, quality aside, you have almost twice the space. I bet the quality of life improved!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:13   #55

BTW, if my 2 year old son could vote, he'd vote monohull and say "Pirate boats!!".
Old 04-01-2007, 14:15   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
every single multihull sailor out there started off as a monohull sailor and knowing both choose a multi
Sorry Schoonerdog, not all. I started on a multi and ended on mono. Yep multi's are great fun, fast and probably very comfortable and easy to sail in most parts of the world. But get down here when a fine light air day sailing is 20kts and up and the multi becomes a handfull for one or two. If you are out in 40kts and up, then it is damn near impossible for two. Get into 70 to 80kts and it's nothing short of terrifying just trying to keep in controll. OK, not belittling the fact that 70kts ain't terrifing for a mono, but at least you can leave the mono to look after herself hove to or trailing warps or what have you. A multi just wants to go and it's a nightmare trying to slow it.
So what am I saying here?? it's all about horses for courses. IMO there is no one type better or worse. Just depends on what sailing you do and where. There are as many variables in the argument as there are hull designs in each stable. Each hull design as been approached from the angle of what the designer has experianced in sailing and what they want to overcome or improve on.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 15:02   #57

Guys, we all like the boats we own, otherwise we would not own them. I think the debate would be fun if we were in person, on a beach, drinking coldies. Hard to gage a man when all you see is a computer screen.

Schoonerdog, when we get the boat out east how about a little race? Loser brings the beer, winner brings the crab and corn. Beach party! You'll be able to anchor a lot closer than me.

OK, my final comment is a quote from Bob Perry " The move from mono to multihull seems to be more of a philosophical move than a velocity made good decision."

Nothing wrong with that in my book. Bryan
Old 04-01-2007, 16:53   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
For me it is simple cost. Mono is in my pocket range, multi is not. But my wife wants multi. She is just going to have to get out there and earn more ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 18:10   #59

sounds like a very cool idea!!! Though I'm not that fast of a cat, I do know the perfect spot for anchoring and doing a barbeque.
Old 04-01-2007, 20:41   #60

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I sailed the Caribbean in my Westsail 32 and around the world in my Privilege 39 Catamaran. Neither of the vessels were greyhounds, and both of them felt extremely safe offshore.

In 33,000 miles of sailing around the world in a catamaran, I've felt quite secure and comfortable in winds up to fifty knots. I can't comment on the behavior of our catamaran in winds over fifty knots, because I have never experienced those conditions. I do know that I wouldn't be sailing in those conditions. I would be lying to my parachute sea anchor.

If I was doing high lattitude sailing, I would choose a steel monohull. If I was doing low lattitude sailing in the tradewinds, I would choose my catamaran. It's much more comfortable, safer, and with many more redundancies built in to the yacht. When I'm sailing offshore in our catamaran, I am more concerned with electrical fires and propane explosions that I am concerned with the seaworthiness of the cat. In our circumnavigation, we always felt safe, and although we weren't always comfortable, we were never afraid.

Two engines, two rudders, two steering wheels, two separate fuel systems, and eight water tight compartments always made me feel good when I was in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans.

My bottom line conclusion is this: Both monohulls and multihulls work for me offshore. But if I'm going to do really high lattitude sailing, I would definitely choose a monohull.

Dave Abbott
Exit Only

PositiveGraphics.com
Maxingout.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull