Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 149 35.73%
Multihull 268 64.27%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42   #541

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Monohull or Multihull Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Interesting thread. I have read about 80% of it and skipped ahead. So forgive me if this question is a bit off from the latest posts…………

Anyone have any experience with the Constant Camber tris of John Marples fame? They seem to fit squarely into the cruising camp and retain good performance and load carrying to boot…….

Just speculation on my part. I have no experience with the boats.

Tx.
You might as well read the whole thread. You've had five years since the last post. Plenty of time.

goat (zombie thread cop)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:50   #542

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

And you are still tuned in………..??:big grin:

It seems I am always a bit late to the party.

Cheers!
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00   #543

Thanks Mike……. I do like the shoal draft aspects of the multis. In general they are all fairly thin on draft. I can see the advantages in Eastern Australia to be sure.

I assume your Piver has a fixed keel of some sort??

If so………how well does she point? Are you tacking through 90 to 100 degrees on the wind??

Cheers

S
Old 08-03-2015, 12:57   #544

Boat: Comet 41s

How many posters has this forum? Why only 363 votes?
Why is this pool on the Multihull sailboats forum? Maybe that has to do with the small number of votes?

It should be on the General sailing a forum that monohull and muttihull sailors share.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:48   #545

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

My Piver has the Cross modifications and does point reasonably well-- it has mini-keels on the amas so it sits almost level when beached ( I put 100mm blocks of pine under them fastened to cords so that they can not reach the propeller when I reverse off the beach if anyone forgets to bring them aboard once she floats clear.

The main hull has a long keel under it--it only adds about half a metre if that--and it is less in the centre of the keel area--but it makes a great deal of difference.

If I were to acquire another trimaran such as Liberty--having lived aboard her for years and sailed her in heavy seas (we rarely get them inside the reef--but occasionally we do) I have learned to take them on the quarter if possible rather than to try them head on under motor.

Any trimaran would be 8improved by the addition of a keel. or failing that, a centre board such as the Sea Runners employed. Sometimes it is possible to be "In Irons" and one can either luff off or start the engiune and just drive her onto the other tack. Mostly she sails like a dream--just like an OK dinghy but bigger.

I think all trimarans, and some cats, are tropical dream machines. YOU NEED SHALLOW DRAFT.

It lets you get closer to land in the lee of an island, or to beach her completely and tie her up to kedge and shore anchor and get a decent night's sleep with no watches.

When you get a really bad storm, a tree lined mangrove creek is a safer place to be. My tri was unscathed except for paint scratches, when the anemometer on the mast head read 250 kph maximum gust. Had I drawn more water I might not have been able to enter safely, so within reason the shallower the draft the better, because sometimes a storm will not wait for high water to let you enter safe sheltered waters.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 00:19   #546

Boat: LAGOON 400

on original topic...

I convinced my wife sucesfully mono is good enough for her so we could slash couple of 100k's from the price and maintenance but then I was the weak link and wanted cat. There is no comparable thing as lazying on the net in front during ride or after. Who cares about 3.4 degrees of pointing ability.

And then what can one do on the net in safety of the dark....

So, she gave up
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:42   #547

Thanks guys. Good info. I have a plan set for one of the Marples cruising tris. There is a fixed keel mod that he includes with the plans. It adds an additional foot of draft, which is not much, when compared to the center board in the full up position. Trying to get a feel for the performance (on the wind) as compared to the centerboard version. Total draft with the fixed keel is still less than 4 feet. But only by a hair.......Which is still shallow draft in my book. It might be worth the additional foot for the ease of build and maintenance. Also less moving parts which is always a plus.

Just might build this boat........

Cheers

S

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-09-2018, 04:00   #548

Writen by Carla Schenk (translatet from app)
Half a hundred arguments for the catamaran

The catamaran offers more security

1) A cat can not sink.

2) Even if the ship has to be left, there is enough time to take necessary utensils that can not be accommodated in the liferaft for reasons of space. monos can sink within a few minutes.

3) A cat sails upright, the ship movements are more comfortable. This reduces the risk of injury and the possibility to fall overboard.

4) At sea, working in the mast is safer.

5) Similarly, work on the foredeck is less risky and more comfortable.

6) The service in the pantry is less tiring and less dangerous on a cat. The Smut does not need to fight against slipping dishes and overflowing boiling soup.

7) Our cat has two engines, which brings double safety.

8) A cat has two oars, if necessary can also be controlled with one.

9) Due to the stable situation, the mental burden for the sailor is lower, on a cat there is less seasickness.

10) When stranded on level sand or mud, the cat will stay upright and will have little problems with rising water.

11) The enormous width of the mast makes it easier to lock.

12) Spi or Genakker are driven without a tree. The sails are easier and safer to set, rifle and retrieve.

13) A cat is faster, which shortens the journey time.

The catamaran is a space wonder

14) Our cat has four self-contained cabins, providing plenty of privacy, especially if relatives, friends or children are on board. (A cabin may be set up as an office or workshop.)

15) For larger Kats there are in the foredeck of the hulls additionally each a room with shelves for spare parts, tools and tools.

16) The large cockpit (2.70 m by 4 m in our case), which I refer to as an "outdoor salon", is an additional habitat, especially in the Mediterranean and in the tropics, where life mainly takes place outdoors.

17) Our cat offers enough headroom in the cabins, in the salon and under the bimini.

18) There is enough space on the Bimini, the deckhouse and the foreship for solar cells. A generator is not necessary)

19) The dinghy can be driven on deck.

20) There is enough space on deck for additional diesel and water in canisters.

21) To realize the size of salon at this ship length with no mono.

22) There is enough space to take paying guests on board.

23) A cat is child friendly. the large cockpit is a safe playground for children.

24) An appropriate foredeck invites you to sunbathe and nap.

25) On a Kat is plenty of storage space.

Comfort as in the luxury hotel

26) Due to the lower draft, it is possible to anchor closer to the shore so that you can row the few meters to land and save the outboard.

27) An anchorage in shallower water in bays is often better protected against wind and swells.

28) At anchorages avoided by Monos because of the swell, catfish are often still relatively calm.

29) Cleaning and lashing of objects is not necessary before departure.

30) Plastic dishes can be dispensed with. Also at sea is eaten by the porcelain.

31) No problem arises when storing dishes and bottles. On the way there is no rattling and no shards.

32) Bottles and dishes stay on the table even in harsher weather, you can eat at sea as well as in the noble restaurant.

33) In light winds, a cat drives against the engine as if on rails, a support sail can be dispensed with, no rolling, no pushing in, no sail beating.

34) The cat rolls relatively little on the downwind course. Even before the wind, there are hardly any sailing hits and impressions. due to the width, the headsail can be better fixed.

35) A cardan stove or table is superfluous on a cat.

36) A cat has no bunks but beds. Sleep at sea is more relaxing, leeches are not necessary, there is no risk of falling out of the berth.

37) If only one engine is used on the way, you can sleep soundly in the other bow without noise pollution.

38) Under the Bimini wet clothes or clothing can be hung to dry, the wetness remains outside the cabin.

39) The cockpit of the cat is relatively high and is not covered by other ships during the stay in Marinas, so it is airy and often offers a nice view.

40) When the heat is high, the space between the hulls is suitable for swimming in the shade.

41) Our cat turns on the plate by simply maneuvering with two machines. A bow thruster is superfluous.

42) For a converted room, a cat is much cheaper to buy than a mono.

43) At the rear there is enough space to mount brackets for stern anchor and outboard motor.

44) Drying is less complicated than mono and above all safer.

45) Kats have a comfortable entrance instead of a narrow decline.

46) The salon looks bright and friendly through large windows.

47) Drains go directly into the water, the risk of clogging is low.

48) TV, video and microwave do not need to be installed. They stay in place even in tougher weather.

49) Through the exit hatch can be fished directly from the salon.

50) If mud and dirt are caught while anchoring, the anchor cleans itself if you drag it between the hulls for a short time through the water. The mono would hit the anchor against the bow.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 08:36   #549

Bigben...

We were surprised to see this thread come to life again.......... Old threads never die, they just keep on posting.

This thread has laid dormant for three years now. And we are just in the final bits of tying up the loose ends on the Marples trimaran build. We are just about finished!!!

Cannot wait to sail her. She has all of the makings of a fine cruising boat. Lots of space, blue water capable, and able to tick off the miles in comfort. Simple and strong. John stopped by the other day...... it was a privilege to talk with him and get his vote of approval.

Cheers,

SnJ
Old 30-09-2018, 10:18   #550

Name:   IMG_1351.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  24.1 KB
Old 30-09-2018, 11:55   #551

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Great looking boat, congratulations on getting it done.

Haven't seen John in a long time. How's he doing?

Cheers,
Old 30-09-2018, 13:59   #552

Quote:
Bigben...

We were surprised to see this thread come to life again.......... Old threads never die, they just keep on posting.

This thread has laid dormant for three years now. And we are just in the final bits of tying up the loose ends on the Marples trimaran build. We are just about finished!!!

Cannot wait to sail her. She has all of the makings of a fine cruising boat. Lots of space, blue water capable, and able to tick off the miles in comfort. Simple and strong. John stopped by the other day...... it was a privilege to talk with him and get his vote of approval.

Cheers,

SnJ
Great looking boat! Well done. The last couple of weeks before launching are crazy, flat out, exciting and exhausting.

Enjoy!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 16:46   #553

Thank you guys.....

John is great!! ....busy as ever. He was on his way for a late summer vacation with his wife and made the effort to swing by to see the boat. I had talked with John quite a bit on the phone. Felt like I had known him for a long time, but that was the first time that we had met. It was excellent to meet. I only wish that I had more time to pick his brain. John seems to be that unique quality of excellent draftsman (no CAD), great designer, well trained structural engineer, and experienced blue water sailor. That may be unusual this day and age.

The mad rush to launch has taken a pause. Winter fast approaches in the Northeast U.S. So we are going to take advantage of the seasonal realities to take a deep breath and relax a bit. Lots to plan and do in preparation for the launch in spring.

Best,

SnJ
Old 30-09-2018, 20:27   #554

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Thank you guys.....

John is great!! ....busy as ever. He was on his way for a late summer vacation with his wife and made the effort to swing by to see the boat. I had talked with John quite a bit on the phone. Felt like I had known him for a long time, but that was the first time that we had met. It was excellent to meet. I only wish that I had more time to pick his brain. John seems to be that unique quality of excellent draftsman (no CAD), great designer, well trained structural engineer, and experienced blue water sailor. That may be unusual this day and age.

The mad rush to launch has taken a pause. Winter fast approaches in the Northeast U.S. So we are going to take advantage of the seasonal realities to take a deep breath and relax a bit. Lots to plan and do in preparation for the launch in spring.

Best,

SnJ
Congratulations!
Old 19-12-2018, 04:50   #555

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisle View Post
What kind of sailboat do you prefer for cruising - monohull or multihull?
It's been 16 years now since you set this up. Just wondering if you're still out there on the Cat.
Your last post was in 2016, I think.

Tags
multihull