Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 138 36.70%
Multihull 238 63.30%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2008, 23:36   #331
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
If you say a Privlage is only class 5 so be it, but to call a J44 a racer is silly.
From the J44 frontpage

J44 Frontpage

Quote:

J/44 - The Perfect Sailboat...
live-aboard comfort, easily managed by two, offshore durability and speed to win Fastnet and Sydney-Hobart.
Sounds racy to me

I suspect the privelege was aimed more at the charter market

Dave
__________________

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 11:17   #332
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
Dave, if you read those comments that the J44 is a racer that is your interpretation.

I read it this way: "J/44 - The Perfect Sailboat...
live-aboard comfort, easily managed by two, offshore durability......."

We come from different locations, to me the J44 is in no way a race boat, it is the perfect cruiser.

Here is the interior of a race boat: Dobroth 46,



Foreward:


Deck:



Here is the interior of the J44 and although I would much rather cruise the J then the Dobroth the Dobroth will be a much quicker boat. It is after all a race boat.

J 44 Classic Interior

I suspect you are right, the Privalge was aimed at the charter market. Maybe its sailing abilities were a second consideration but how would we know unless we look at race results or rally passage times?




Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
From the J44 frontpage

J44 Frontpage



Sounds racy to me

I suspect the privelege was aimed more at the charter market

Dave
__________________

__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 11:18   #333
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
And if you like I'll share photos of flush deck racers with massive ring frames and stringers, pipe berths, and only raw carbon for the interior finish.

Those are race boats.
__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:21   #334
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 232
Monohulls rule !!!!
__________________
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 22:18   #335
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Monohulls rule !!!!

Yer right. If you want to go around small triangles drawn in the water, a mono is definately the way to go.

Joli, As near as I can tell, you are in dire need of a frame of reference.
I've spent a lifetime in monohulls, I know what they're good at, and I'm tellin ya, Once you get a Cat, there's no going back.

So, I think you should cough up the $$$ for a nice 40 ft cruising cat, sail it for a year and check back with this thread afterward.

You'll be converted just as Sully has. Or I should say as all of us former mono guys were.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 05:38   #336
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Hey folks,

I'm not sure why this thread consistently devolves into ad hominem attack and other nastiness, but unless you want it to be locked, let's stay closer to the realm of fact and far away from personal attack.
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 07:24   #337
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Hey folks,

I'm not sure why this thread consistently devolves into ad hominem attack and other nastiness, but unless you want it to be locked, let's stay closer to the realm of fact and far away from personal attack.
Am I to assume that this post is directed at Moi? I can assure you I attacked no one. To suggest that a person actually own the boat design he's criticizing before passing judgement is just common sense and I'm sure that Joli understood the spirit in which the suggestion was made.

However, it's possible that the time has come to lock this thread as it just seems to cycle over and over again.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:27   #338
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
No wories Rick. Maybe someday we will migrate to a cat, who knows?

My point in posting race and rally results is to try to iluminate the fact that "for the most part" passage times are generally based on waterline length not the number of hulls. Sometimes I think the sizzle is sold, not the steak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Am I to assume that this post is directed at Moi? I can assure you I attacked no one. To suggest that a person actually own the boat design he's criticizing before passing judgement is just common sense and I'm sure that Joli understood the spirit in which the suggestion was made.

However, it's possible that the time has come to lock this thread as it just seems to cycle over and over again.
__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:30   #339
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Much gets made about multihulls all being delivered "on their own bottoms" but isn't that really more about economics than anything else? Space on container ships has been at a premium for years, with China sucking up so much eastward capacity. A multi is 2 to 3x as wide and therefore probably 4x to 5x more expensive to ship on a container vessel (you pay a hefty premium for oversized containers).
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:38   #340
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
No wories Rick. Maybe someday we will migrate to a cat, who knows?

My point in posting race and rally results is to try to iluminate the fact that "for the most part" passage times are generally based on waterline length not the number of hulls. Sometimes I think the sizzle is sold, not the steak.
I would agree wholeheartedly
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:43   #341
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Much gets made about multihulls all being delivered "on their own bottoms" but isn't that really more about economics than anything else? Space on container ships has been at a premium for years, with China sucking up so much eastward capacity. A multi is 2 to 3x as wide and therefore probably 4x to 5x more expensive to ship on a container vessel (you pay a hefty premium for oversized containers).
You're probably right about the shipping costs, but I don't understand the point you're making. Does it make a boat less seaworthy because it's sailed from Africa or France to America?

The success catamarans are having in the marketplace these days speaks for itself. There was a great debate and it raged for years. But, the debate is over.

Folks buy the boat that best suits their needs. there is no 'best' design.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:16   #342
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 232
Quote:
Am I to assume that this post is directed at Moi?
yup It sure appears like that to ther rest of us
Quote:
I can assure you I attacked no one. To suggest that a person actually own the boat design he's criticizing before passing judgement is just common sense
No, no, no - it's a very expensive suggestion...to say nothing of unnecessarily time-consuming. Wherever did the notion that opinions be based on fact come from ???
Quote:
and I'm sure that Joli understood the spirit in which the suggestion was made.
I'm sure he did as well and that he was not offended at all. Keep at it boys !!
__________________
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:35   #343
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
You're probably right about the shipping costs, but I don't understand the point you're making. Does it make a boat less seaworthy because it's sailed from Africa or France to America?

The success catamarans are having in the marketplace these days speaks for itself. There was a great debate and it raged for years. But, the debate is over.

Folks buy the boat that best suits their needs. there is no 'best' design.
The point is simple, if the implication is: monohulls are shipped over while cats sail over because cats are more seaworthy (and that frequently is the implication), then I think there are other factors that don't make that a very good argument.
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:54   #344
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
The point is simple, if the implication is: monohulls are shipped over while cats sail over because cats are more seaworthy (and that frequently is the implication), then I think there are other factors that don't make that a very good argument.
OK, that makes sense, yet you're sort of reenforcing the seaworthy point.

All boats are compromises and certainly none are perfect. Folks buy the boat that best suits their needs.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 14:20   #345
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Well, for the record I own a Tayana 37, but I have some offshore experience with cats. These two pix are in the Gulf of Thailand about 2 years ago. I'm the pale-skinned ugly white guy! (the dark-skinned pretty one is my fiance!). At the helm in the second. Third is at Koh Chang on the southeast side of the Gulf. There's a Wharram behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47b6cc20b3127cce8f17c83aec6500000016100EauGbRo2ZsQ.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3068   Click image for larger version

Name:	47b6cc20b3127cce8f17b6ca6d9a00000016100EauGbRo2ZsQ.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3069  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wharram.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	3070   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	3072  

__________________

__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
multihull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a monohull sailboat ? Trauma Monohull Sailboats 28 07-03-2009 00:44
Monohull vs Multihull maxingout Multihull Sailboats 13 20-07-2008 08:57
MULTIHULL MONOHULL SURVEY dcstrng Multihull Sailboats 193 10-07-2008 19:41
from monohull to multihull bahamarich Multihull Sailboats 6 09-10-2007 20:42



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.