Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2014, 18:30   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Re: Monohull captain wonders how to manage to catamaran

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Hello to you experienced catamaran sailors and cruisers.

I KNOW I am looking at the following question/issues from the bias of a long-time monohull sailor and I am sure I am missing something obvious. But 38+ catamaran helming/underway management seems a little foreign to me.
You have received a lot of practical hands on advice but I think based on your post there is a need for a paradigm shift.

You come from a lifelong bias of monohull thinking - nothing wrong with that.

However, there is no need or purpose in comparing a monohull to a cruising cat. You need to blow up your paradigm.

A 40 foot cat is not a 40 foot mono. In the marina it is probably more like a 40 foot twin screw powerboat.

under sail you sail it differently. You will get much less feedback from the rig (i.e. heeling) and will likely sail more "by the numbers" in terms of when to short sail etc.

The views are definitely going to be different and docking will be different and so on.

If you are going to make this transition and be happy you are really going to have to free yourself from your constraints and avoid comparing.

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 22:08   #17

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

The Lagoon 440 can simply be modified placing throttles at the stern for better viz at mooring.

There are a couple of Aust owned Lagoon 440 currently in the med that have made the changes. Quite a simple job.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Col mooring.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	87594  
Attached Images

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 00:12   #18

Boat: Lagoon 470

Hello, Tacoma,

a lot has been said already, and I won't repeat it. For us the flybridge was a concern and that is one of the reasons why we bought the Lagoon 470. Yes, it is big, but when parking it the one on the wheel is never too far from the dock. And when it comes to reefing or packing the mainsail, it is much easier. And (this might be a source for some dispute) we can point higher and sail faster than the 440s/450s we have met so far.

When it comes to parking, someone told me to go in stern first if things are tight. And that works very well. Whoever is at the wheel can see the end of the boat perfectly. You bring it to within an arms length of the dock, the other one fixes the stern line, and from there it is just gentle nudging with the outer engine forward, the inner one in reverse, to complete the job. Have we screwed up occasionally? You bet!

During passages we are 90% in the cockpit, where there are several places from which you have near-360 degree visibility. We never sit at the wheel unless it's because of the breeze, the view or because we are doing maneuvers.

We will head for Panama later this year and then plan on visiting Baja and maybe our old hometown of San Diego. And from there it will be the South Seas...

Oliver L. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 15:29   #19

I too am in the midst of the switch from a Caliber 40 to a catamaran. So far what I've found is there may have been catamarans built like Calibers (PDQ, older Privilege) but not any more (of course Calibers aren't built anymore either). Still, you need less of the robustness we are used to in Calibers. I just spent a week on an FP Mahe. I wouldn't buy that boat. I experienced what many here cite in fit and finish deficiencies in the boat. Ours experienced a number of small failures (a charter boat) due to pieces falling off in moderate seas and breeze (4-6' 30kts).

As folks have pointed out, handling is so much different with twin screws and in the week prior I did slips, mooring balls and anchoring and none were significantly different to my monohull engraved experience to hinder success.

Best course, as has been mentioned by the far more experienced cat sailors than me, is to get on one, try it out. I think you'll find you know more than you think about enjoying sailing with comfort, safety and speed because of your time on your Caliber.

Godspeed and fair winds from the former owner of LRC40 #85.

skipperadam is offline   Reply With Quote

captain, catamaran, hull, monohull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: