View Poll Results: What got you there?
A. Sailed both went with mono and am staying. 9 17.65%
B. Sailed both went with multi and am staying. 13 25.49%
C. Sailed mono for years went to multi and am not going back. 17 33.33%
D. Sailed multi for years and went mono and am not going back. 0 0%
E. Love them both equally, either floats my boat. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 13:34   #1

Mono VS Multi - Your Personal Choice - Poll

I have only been reading sailing forums for a shot time and have already run across and waded through quite a few really long threads arguing about which is better Mono Hulls or Multi Hulls on several forums.

One recurring idea that comes up in each thread is that of people converting from one to the other but there are never any real numbers just opinions.

I thought it would be nice to get some real numbers without a bunch of commentary to see where the trends are really going with a survey and maybe shed a little brighter light on the debate.

So to all you seasoned sailors out there who have sailed both please check your preference if there is one and indicate which direction the wind blew from.

Your choices follow:

A and B are for sailors who tried both but were not died in the wool on their decison until the end.

C and D are for those who changed their minds after years of sticking with one side or the other.

I'll put a link over at the Mono forum so they get the drift as well.
modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 13:40   #2

Re: Mono VS Multi - Your Personal Choice - Poll

Welcome to CF modifer.
No vote for me, can't afford a cat.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 13:43   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

I couldn't vote, I have a mono but would love a multi. I can afford an old well built mono, I can't afford anything multi except an old searunner that is past it's prime.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 13:45   #4

Boat: too many

I couldn't cast a vote either. Years of mono only, going to try a cat next time out.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:06   #5

I see some are having trouble voting because they don't fit into any of the choices.

Sorry but I thought it would be best to limit it to those with quite a lot of direct experience with both to lessen the educated but academic opinions and replace them with slightly harder data from real life time on the water.

I know in the end it is still about personal preference and subjective to what you want out of your boat but this is a hot topic and we aren't talking about light weight purchases so the more info the better for all, in my opinion.

Hey nothing is perfect but maybe this will yield some numbers to fuel the fires.
Old 25-02-2012, 14:10   #6

CCCCC (has to be 5 letters long)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:12   #7

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifier View Post
I see some are having trouble voting because they don't fit into any of the choices.

Sorry but I thought it would be best to limit it to those with quite a lot of direct experience with both to lessen the educated but academic opinions and replace them with slightly harder data from real life time on the water.

I know in the end it is still about personal preference and subjective to what you want out of your boat but this is a hot topic and we aren't talking about light weight purchases so the more info the better for all, in my opinion.

Hey nothing is perfect but maybe this will yield some numbers to fuel the fires.
OK then, I'll vote, hoping all the multi hype is correct. Years on a mono, gone multi, not going back unless Nick sells me his Sundeer 64 for a PDQ 36 price.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:13   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I could not vote either.

I have worked and been an owner in the power boat and dive charter industry on Australian GBR with both power monos and cats.

Will be purchasing a sailing cat for retirement no question.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 14:36   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Owned both and like both, though I haven't owned a tri yet though I have done some sailing on them. It's a matter of horses for courses: each has its strengths and weaknesses, and you need to choose based on your needs and desires.
Old 25-02-2012, 15:01   #10

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Owned at least one of everything! (Hmmm, that's pretty cool now that I think of it!) Daysailors, beach cats, cruising/racing tri, racing/cruising monhulls, cruising cat. It always depends on dollars, where, why, and opportunity to find what works best for each of us at any given time in life.

I could see doing just about any of 'em again if the mood/circumstances combined at the right time. I suppose the 'mine is best' argument won't quite ever go away. The question at the end of the day should be, "Did ya have a good time sailing today?" If yes, it was the right boat at the right time.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 16:38   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I'm just a boat slut, I own and sail both monos and multis. A great day on the water can be had on any number of hulls.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 16:43   #12

I bought my 30 foot monohull back in 1995 and have not looked at another boat since. Though I've been on multihulls at least twice a year for the past ten years. My girlfriend likes them for her vacations so I go along to get along. I like cats fine on these trips because I just have to sit back with a beer or rum drink and relax. The Captain takes care of any maintanance issues. From heads to the engines. Though I notice the Captains on these charters tend not to sail them a lot. Even when the winds seem favorable to me. So the motors are used quite a bit. Plus there is two of them to maintain. I've had enough issues with having one on board Thank You. Another thing I've noticed with the cats I've been is in even minimally rough seas there is a lot of banging on the hulls from the waves as they slap the underside that vibrates through the boat. It's a little unerving to me. I guess you get use to it. But, I'm thinking that can't be good long term hull integrity. Then there is this:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A vacation escape?
Can't beat them for room when relaxing at anchor or for parties. I enjoy the vacations we take on them. Still personally I would not trade my monohull for one.
Old 25-02-2012, 16:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Owned both and like both, though I haven't owned a tri yet though I have done some sailing on them. It's a matter of horses for courses: each has its strengths and weaknesses, and you need to choose based on your needs and desires.
Sort of where I end up. The charter company I work for does catamarans, but my boat is a mono. Being honest about the numbers as well there are about a billion monohulls for every one cat out there. I know the way monos behave and I like the heel as an indicator.

It's also hard to find a cat that isn't a "plastic fantastic" where everything is fiberglass and gel coat. My boat is primarily made of wood, and I like construction that's lasted for over 35 years and is easy to repair. I've never found that in a cat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 15:33   #14

Wow. Only 27 people so far. With the popularity of this vs that threads I was thinking there would be hundreds of votes.
Old 26-02-2012, 16:18   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Sort of where I end up. The charter company I work for does catamarans, but my boat is a mono. Being honest about the numbers as well there are about a billion monohulls for every one cat out there. I know the way monos behave and I like the heel as an indicator.

It's also hard to find a cat that isn't a "plastic fantastic" where everything is fiberglass and gel coat. My boat is primarily made of wood, and I like construction that's lasted for over 35 years and is easy to repair. I've never found that in a cat.
I would say wood is probably the hardest material to keep up. The plastic fantastic cats are great from a up keep stand point. I don't see why a 35 year old cat would be any different than a 35 year old mono if they are built out of glass. There are plenty of 35-40 year old British cats still going strong,
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll