View Poll Results: What got you there?
A. Sailed both went with mono and am staying. 9 17.65%
B. Sailed both went with multi and am staying. 13 25.49%
C. Sailed mono for years went to multi and am not going back. 17 33.33%
D. Sailed multi for years and went mono and am not going back. 0 0%
E. Love them both equally, either floats my boat. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 09:34   #31

Re: Mono VS Multi - Your Personal Choice - Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
My sentiments exactly, problem with most polls is that they are bias for the people who write them, which makes them totally irrelevant.
I tried to make it an unbiased as possible and limit it to people with direct experience with both. How would you have done it differently? How is a comment that someone has never sailed or even considered sailing multi hulled boats relevant to this thread.
modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:48   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifier View Post
Wow. Only 27 people so far. With the popularity of this vs that threads I was thinking there would be hundreds of votes.
It has been done to death and many of us are weary of and/or see little value in the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifier View Post
I tried to make it an unbiased as possible and limit it to people with direct experience with both. How would you have done it differently?
I suspect the strongest opinions may be held by those who have only sailed one or the other and have no interest in changing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:01   #33
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

This has been beat to death and I doubt anything of value or meaning could result from this poll. Its actually rather annoying . Its easy to see that theres nothing to poll about and nobody cares.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:28   #34

After reading the thread "Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity" with over 6000 views and over 200 posts along with similar threads on other forums that garnered even more of a following, noting they were all being added to daily, I thought it was still a hot topic of debate. I noticed on all related threads many of the posts were from people who had only sailed either multihulls or monohulls and pretty much dismissed the other. I thought a poll showing the results from people who had done both and arrived at a conclusion would offer more reasonable less biased data. I apologize.
modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:33   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Interesting poll. It isn't going the direction I would have thought but that's ok. The world is changing.

kind regards,
Old 27-02-2012, 10:51   #36

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hay Bob, I think ya missed a line of my post, must be single handed by a women ! sorta puts those type of boats out of contention, and our want is cruising not speed so much or even raceing localy or really anywhere ! LOL Thanks for the idea tho they were sweet boats for what they were made for ! Thanks Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:58   #37

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Hay Bob, I think ya missed a line of my post, must be single handed by a women ! sorta puts those type of boats out of contention, and our want is cruising not speed so much or even raceing localy or really anywhere ! LOL Thanks for the idea tho they were sweet boats for what they were made for ! Thanks Bob and Connie
I didn't miss it, that is why I suggested old race boats. Easily driven, so you can run with reefed main and have a huge wind speed range without having to touch the sails.

Scenario, your on watch, having a blast canvased up, laying down 12 kt, watch change, you take a reef on the main, roll the headsail 1/2 in, boat settles to 7 kt, and you say "Goodnight Connie, see you in 4".
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:03   #38

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am absolutely not against a multi. I was completely mad by the Kraken 40 designed by Lock Crowter. Save for the other side of the ditch multi's are the most unpractical boats here in this environment. Simply by the sheer fact that there is no space. And if so you are compromised by the owners of marina' s who will charge you factually for two boats.
The second reason is that you cannot lay down boats on the hook. For a number of reasons.
Let's not talk about the UK: the exploiters of Marina' s are looking with hunger in their eyes if they see a Cat on the horizon - let be a Tri.

No, it is a prohibitive design for this side of the world. In the Med it is very difficult boarding the impossible to find a dock to attach lines.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:50   #39

And yet a huge number of production cats are built in France....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 12:25   #40

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
And yet a huge number of production cats are built in France....
Built ....... not sailed .......

In France there are places (Atlantic coast) for mooring on the hook. Be it not that many. Building Cats is for export.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 12:46   #41
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with the thread or the poll - all while recognizing that there are always limitations and that there will always be overlap. For example, although I chose 'E' - love them both, I suspect that my age and anticipated needs for the forseeable future mean that I will never go back to a monohull. So while I could have chosen 'C' - 'sailed mono for years, went to multi and am not going back' I didn't want to leave the impression that I regretted the the purchase of my previous monohulls (I didn't), or that I felt that multis were superior choices for everyone (I don't). So, while two possible answers would have fit, I selected the one that best fit my situation and my feelings on the subject.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll