Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 01:40   #16

re: Mono vs Multi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
For living on it for a few months a year, only a true cruising cat with fat hulls will do unless you want to feel like tent camping all the time. Close to windward, if we have to go somewhere fast, we start the engines. Nobody keeps up with us at that point of sail. Preferred direction of travel for comfort is a close reach to run. Close hauled, we wait another day for the wind shift. Wife is a lot happier.

We've lived on our boat for 4 years. It's in no way like camping. We have a full queen size latex mattress, full shower, lounge and separate dining areas, fridge, freezer, washing machine, etc etc.... We're not camping. But we have hulls with a LWL:BWL ratio of 12.5:1.

I agree, generally you avoid sailing to windward, but sometimes it's not avoidable. And I really dislike motoring.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 17:54   #17

Boat: between boats

Personally I would much rather sail to windward than motor.

More importantly though I want the ability to sail to wind effectively if i have to. eg fuel blockage off a lee shore comes to mind... More than a few would have been there.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:21   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Its hardly a point of sail if you are motoring. And to be frank, 44Cs boat would sail faster in a fair breeze than you would motor.
14 knots in our boat on a broad reach is not bad either. Or Crossing the Atlantic in 15 days from the Canaries to St. Lucia with less than 12 hours of motoring. How about several consecutive days with over 200Nm/day or crossing the Atlantic averaging just over 180Nm per day. All that with fat hulls.
Are you telling my that 44Cs boat does 11.7 knots close hauled into 1.5m waves? Would need to do that to keep up with us motoring at 7.5 knots straight into the wind.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:31   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
14 knots in our boat on a broad reach is not bad either. Or Crossing the Atlantic in 15 days from the Canaries to St. Lucia with less than 12 hours of motoring. How about several consecutive days with over 200Nm/day or crossing the Atlantic averaging just over 180Nm per day. All that with fat hulls.
Are you telling my that 44Cs boat does 11.7 knots close hauled into 1.5m waves? Would need to do that to keep up with us motoring at 7.5 knots straight into the wind.
I'm happy your boat motors well, and the sailing isn't bad for a fat bottom girl!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The fact remains, motoring isn't sailing. As for 44Cs boat, I will let him tell you about it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 00:43   #21

I suspect none on this thread dislikes their boat. All will largely see positives and will willingly overlook the negatives, sometimes to the point that some deny their existance. So why does this happen? Because famiiarity leads to contentment, and one accommodates flaws and imperfections. You see the good, not the bad. And regardless of the boat, nearly always, the good far outweighs the bad.

What do you want (or more to the point "need") inside those hulls? The more beds, the wider the beds, the more bathrooms/heads/separate showers etc. means either get longer or get fatter. Do you like traditional wood fittings or are you happy with a light weight minimalistic look. Be honest about your payload. No point buying a light weigh boat and making it heavy or worse still overloaded. Be sure in your mind about what you "must have", what you can "live with" and what you are happy to "do without". Add in the budget, boat availability (second hand or building), and hey presto, there's the love of your life....the best compromise available to you.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 13:47   #22

Boat: between boats

Agreed 2 wind but the OP wanted a cat that sailed to wind well coming from a mono background and many comments have been replies on this point. Fact is while a lagoon type boat can sail pretty well downwind (and the 440's from all accounts better than many of the lagoons) they dont sail well to wind. Thats just one of the compromises as you say.

If the OP wants a boat that does this he is quite rightly IMHO correctly avoiding these type boats.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 14:19   #23

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
I suspect none on this thread dislikes their boat. All will largely see positives and will willingly overlook the negatives, sometimes to the point that some deny their existance. So why does this happen? Because famiiarity leads to contentment, and one accommodates flaws and imperfections. You see the good, not the bad. And regardless of the boat, nearly always, the good far outweighs the bad.

What do you want (or more to the point "need") inside those hulls? The more beds, the wider the beds, the more bathrooms/heads/separate showers etc. means either get longer or get fatter. Do you like traditional wood fittings or are you happy with a light weight minimalistic look. Be honest about your payload. No point buying a light weigh boat and making it heavy or worse still overloaded. Be sure in your mind about what you "must have", what you can "live with" and what you are happy to "do without". Add in the budget, boat availability (second hand or building), and hey presto, there's the love of your life....the best compromise available to you.
I believe a more correct characterization is that someone else's positives are my negatives, or vis-versa.

It's common knowledge what it takes to make a cat sail closer to the wind. The question one must ask is if they are willing to live with that set of characteristics in order to have the feature.

It's amazing on CF that if someone doesn't want a feature that someone else does, one is an idiot. Guess what, manufacturers will build/sell to both of them.

Everything is a compromise.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 14:24   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBCMC View Post
While the smaller Fountaine Pajot and Lagoons are to her liking I would like something that will push to windward (dagger boards etc) and have better speed running before the wind.
Schionning 1030/Prescott Whitehaven?
Would love to hear any owners of the above mentioned boats thoughts.
Would like to keep around the 35-38 foot size.
If the wife wants a cat.

She is giving you a hall pass mate.

Get whatever cat you want and she will put some fluffy pillows in it and you can go sailing.

Its a win win.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 20:16   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Amen. What Cotemar said
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 21:03   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Mono vs Multi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The fact remains, motoring isn't sailing. As for 44Cs boat, I will let him tell you about it.
Ahahahahahahaaaa... don't care what anyone says...
Ya can't beat a 'Good Cat fight'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 21:21   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Its not a cat fight Boatie, its a motor boat v sailboat disagreement
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 02:03   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Mono vs Multi!

"Close Ranks... CLOSE RANKS..." he cried.. "One of those Mono Thingies is taking the Piss.."

http://youtu.be/y6Sxv-sUYtM

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 22:35   #29

Boat: Catana 42
Re: Mono vs Multi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
If the wife wants a cat.

She is giving you a hall pass mate.

Get whatever cat you want and she will put some fluffy pillows in it and you can go sailing.

Its a win win.
I have to agree as a wife who has now sold the home and belongings for the 42 ft cat.

The monohull with the going down to live and heeling over didn't sell it to me. The Catana on the other hand fulfilled both our early expectations. Call me shallow, inexperienced and uneducated - at least by going a Cat we are now going so my Captain is happy indeed.

Feather pillows are my pillow of choice

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 02:17   #30

Re: Mono vs Multi!

The room and comfort of a sun odisy 40 is hard to beat in a given price bracket. To get the same space or similar you do need to go 38 and above and this is big dollars. Compaired to your mono double its worth and you might get a comparable multi. This is just my opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote