Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 16:28   #1

mono sailors looking for the right cat

Two mono sailors looking for the right cat for liveaboard. Would love to know your opinions. It is my first post. Let's see, initially we will spend most of the time at dock with weekend sailing, then after a couple of years want to strike out to near offshore type sailing, then who knows? Prefer new or nearly new. Stability more important that speed. Don't really want balsa core. Want really good construction. Would like nice kitchen for avid cook, not much wave slapping and rocking, helm with some overhead protection. Want the comforts of home, laundry aboard, heat/air conditioning, you probably get the picture. Fairly wide range of price ok, to about $750k max but would much rather spend less.
Looked at Fountaine Pajot, PDQ Antares, Lagoons, and have sailed (happily in the beautiful BVI) a Privilege 47 (older model, really liked it), Moorings 440 (liked) and 380 (didn't like). Sailed another 38 footer in the Outer Banks/NC but can't for the life of me remember the model. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
cbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:40   #2

For $750k (probably considerably less) I'd have a 50 foot Oram or similar, custom built here in Aus.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:47   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
As to form and function its really a mater of personal taste. The only info of significance you may get here is about bad construction or performance quirks. The latter can be due to how the boat is riged and handled as often as to design. Lots of opinions little documented and scientific facts. With mono hulls if the design is raced you can look at race results particularly bad weather races not the full safety or performance story but some help. With multis its a real mixed bag with lots of passionate opinions.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Production Australian Boats could also include Seawind 1160 and Lightwave 38 - the Lightwave 45 is probably over your budget. A late model St Francis 44 (south african) may also be an option. In custom boats on the market in Australia - see what 44 cruising cat said - also there are a number of really nice schoinnings in the 13 - 14 metre range that would suit you and are a couple of years old and also some Fusion 40s in the 550-650K range that are nicely built. I think for your money there are some very good boats around.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 01:30   #5

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Cbeagle
Where are you located. Could get a custom build in asia within budget, I know just the builder if your interested he is in the process of setting up over there.
Hey guys he doesn't like balsa. Sort of limits the choices a bit. Is the dislike just balsa or all cores. Fusion is plastic foam but what else is, ok a fastcat but the budget is a lot low.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 02:50   #6

Monos Looking for Cat - PDQ Antares?

Thanks for the replies. Currently we're in Rhode Island, US, likely relocating to the Chesapeake, Maryland or thereabouts. Production boats are ok given we don't have a million dollars to spend. We can get close. Not sure about the details on the glass . . .

What about the PDQ Antares? There are a couple used ones on the market here. Worried a bit about the engine placement/noise/smell, though. Thanks again, everyone.

Fountaine Pajot could work but for the exposed helm. Any solutions to that? Maybe an aftermarket bimini?
Old 19-06-2008, 03:42   #7

Boat: Hanse 371
A new, well equipped PDQ Antares 44 or Dean 441 should give you excactly what
you're looking for. Perfect construction and finish. They're both designed for owners / live aboards with a big galley and lots of storage. They will give you sufficient speed under sail or engines ( 7 knots ) in complete comfort.

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 22:49   #8

Aussie cats

I agree with Factor, here in Australia the manufacturers are top notch and great value for money. We are currently producing a Chamberlin design 11.6m cruising cat equal or better than any french production boats for under $500.000 $AU. I would love to sail one over for you!
Col Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 03:41   #9

What do you think about Seawind? Any news about a bigger model?

With the current exchange rates, seems like Australian is the way to go. Thanks for all the model recommendations in the thread, we'll check them out.
Old 21-06-2008, 04:45   #10

To: Col Boardman - do you have pictures you could post? Thanks.
Old 21-06-2008, 17:13   #11

Aussie cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeagle View Post
To: Col Boardman - do you have pictures you could post? Thanks.
Hi, I am new to this forum so I am not sure how much self promotion I can supply. I will try to get something up on the vendors section soon. In the meanwhile have a look at Wanderah Catamarans We have new galley up version on the go at present, the web site is getting revamped very soon with that boat and an introductory special price. regards Col
Old 21-06-2008, 18:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeagle View Post
With the current exchange rates, seems like Australian is the way to go. Thanks for all the model recommendations in the thread, we'll check them out.
I agree that Australian is the way to go, but the current exchange rate actually makes life MUCH harder for US buyers.

The exchange rate has suddenly made Australian labour much more expensive in $US.

Fusion catamarans has now moved their manufacture completely out of Queensland, to SE Asia.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 18:45   #13

Yea, that is a bugger when you are exporting. On the other hand I would rather have my glass boat laid up away from the humid tropics, and if you start cruising from here the Barrier Reef is a lot closer!
Old 21-06-2008, 21:26   #14

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Hey Col,

Are you working with Jim Doyle?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 15:49   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I'm glad to see you've considered the Antares 44. As a PDQ owner I've felt a special pride in this catamaran because I know the people who build and sell this boat, and I know that the quality of its construction is not superficial, but thorough throughout. I would put it up against any other manufacturer today, and I mean ANY. If Oyster made a Cat, it would be in second place. While the 44i is certainly pricey, (and justifiably so) you should consider it a secure investment. I would run out of superlatives describing the sailing qualities, design features, ease of management, and integration of systems. All I can say is if you bought anything else, there would be a better cat on the market!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote