Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2008, 17:30   #16

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Lots to choose from

Cbeagle,

In that price range you should have a lot to choose from. The PDQ Antares is just a beautiful boat with pretty decent performance. We always think it is like having a luxury condo that floats on the water.

For a bit less there is a Maine Cat 41 for sale in the low $400s. I think it is available for viewing up in your area. If you are interested in the MC41, we are in the Chesapeake now and heading towards Maine at the end of June, so we will be in your area sometime in July and would be happy to show you our boat. (OK, I am biased!)

Here is the Maine Cat link:
Mike

Old 23-06-2008, 13:59   #17

Thanks, Sandy! We are leaning toward the PDQ Antares and have taken the first steps on one possibility. I replied to your question in another thread.

Happy sails.

Old 23-06-2008, 14:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I'm glad to see you've considered the Antares 44. As a PDQ owner I've felt a special pride in this catamaran because I know the people who build and sell this boat, and I know that the quality of its construction is not superficial, but thorough throughout. I would put it up against any other manufacturer today, and I mean ANY. If Oyster made a Cat, it would be in second place. While the 44i is certainly pricey, (and justifiably so) you should consider it a secure investment.
!
PDQ went under. The Antares 44 is being built in Asia by new "owners" who don't have any track record. Is this a secure investment? No boat is an investment and fronting money to a new enterprise is iffy at best. The difficulty is there is no guarantee you'll get a boat. Unless you're dealing with a company with a good, long track record or getting one off the lot, buying a boat is a crapshoot.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 15:05   #19

Thanks, but we are looking at a used PDQ Antares, out of the warranty period, so not really too concerned. As I understand it, the PDQ side went to Pearson and the Antares side was bought by another company. Cruising World Magazine talks about the new Antares in their issue this month, including them moving the operations out of Canada. We currently own an S2 so are used to not having the company in business that built our boat. Anyone that has a custom boat has this issue to some extent as well. But we appreciate the head up.
Old 23-06-2008, 15:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
I heard Pearson got the power cat moulds. Some employees of PDQ got the Antares moulds.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 08:26   #21

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
cbeable ..check out the Voyage 50 we have an earlier 47' and love all the room (27'beam). Very large galley. 7' headroom in salon. I motor at 7-7.5 knots on one engine. when you get to the Chesapeake your are welcome to stop and visit us, PM me if interested. below are some boats listed on yachtworld.

voyage (Sail) Multi-hull Boats For Sale
Old 27-06-2008, 10:53   #22

KNysna 470 semi custom build South Africa

After years of searching and sailing on numerous cat, I chose the Knysna 470. It scored the highest on my long list of likes and dislikes. You can check out their site at knysnayachtco.com. They build good boats in South Africa and they are competetively priced.
Old 27-06-2008, 14:30   #23
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Cbeagle --

We're currently on the hard in Wilmington, NC, right next to an Antares 44 that's for sale. I've also been aboard several. Great boats, very well built, lots of luxury features and designed for the liveaboard (and that really makes a difference). This particular one looked like they were doing some sort of engine/shaft/prop work, as they had the starboard shaft pulled. The boat looks very clean. I think they're asking about $600K.

The midships engine placement does have downsides in that the noise will be greater. We also have midships engines in our St. Francis 44. They also intrude some in space that other boats use for hull storage or passageway. However, there are also definite advantages to the midships placement. The boats balance better, no doubt about it. You also recover room aft that you wouldn't have in an engines aft boat -- really, I think that's a toss-up -- room lost in one place is gained in another. The midships placement also allows for a slender aft hull/transom and that will gain you a bit of speed. I also think they maneuver slightly better. I say "slightly" because compared to a monohull, having the twin engines regardless of midships or aft placement is so much better than a single screw, anyway.

Another boat I thought of that might fit your desires is:
2005 Custom Eric Lerouge Boat For Sale

It is more than $750K, but this is also a much superior boat, even to the Antares. I've been on her and she is incredibly well constructed, very well thought out, and for such a large boat, quite quick, even in light air. Lerouge never built a slow boat and the current owner is quite obsessive and a sailor for 50 years.

If you really want to go cheaper rather than more expensive, then you also start having to deal more with the compromises. While the Antares has fine accommodation, it is a 7 to 8 knot boat. If that's what you're looking for, then you can't beat the PDQ. It does have very high freeboard, though, so docking may be adventuresome at times.

The same goes for the Lagoon 420's and 440's. Great accommodations, decent performance on the 440 (although a delivery captain I know calls it "riding the camel" for the flybridge). The 420 is slower and "leisurely" and I, personally, haven't been impressed with the construction of them. Hopefully, those practices have improved, but I'd get a very detailed survey, even of a new one.

If you're looking for more performance in a cruiser, then boats like the St. Francis 50, Switch 51, and Catanas come to mind. Higher performance, but still luxurious. You'll pay for it, though.

For a cheaper, but still well performing cruiser, I'd have a hard time not recommending the St. Francis 44. Less accommodation space when compared to the PDQ, Lagoons and Fountaine Pajot, but much better built. Plus, they sail quite nicely and, if you keep it within reasonable weight limits, will usually do 60 to 65% of wind speed with just the working sails, on a beam to broad reach. Yet, I can also pinch her up to 35 degrees and still maintain decent speed. Sure, lots of boats will do that, too, but we also have the A/C's, genset, icemaker, TV's, dive toys, etc.

All in all, though, the Antares is a great boat. If you'd like, I'd be happy to try and sneak a peak inside at the Wilmington boat and send you some pictures.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57   #24

Thanks so much for the comments. The cat chase is on hold for now and am leaning mono for the short term next couple of years. . .
Old 08-07-2008, 05:49   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeagle View Post
and am leaning mono for the short term next couple of years. . .
Was that an intended pun?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: