Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-10-2017, 14:51   #916
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

some pictures of a few of the jobs i have managed to get done recently.

80 L bow tank,connected up with transfer pump
160 L main tank in cockpit.
20 L diesel heater header tank connected up with transfer pump.

hydronic heater matrix, heated by engine.
heater blower mounted
heater diverter pipe work from engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0095(1).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	157980   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0094(1).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	157981  

Name:	DSC_0103(1).jpg
Views:	300
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	157982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0105.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	157983  

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	157984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0102(1).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	157985  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 16:36   #917

As always, great workmanship. So much work to install a heater! Wouldn't it be easier to sail to somewhere warm?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 17:20   #918
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
As always, great workmanship. So much work to install a heater! Wouldn't it be easier to sail to somewhere warm?
my better half just suggested,now the engine is up and running,toilet , galley,heating etc installed that we go somewhere for xmas in the cat.

lots of places around the bay we could go, just would need a mattress and duvet in the fwd cabin whilst being toasty around the sigmarine.....cuddled up to my lovely..

might have to do a bit of jigery pokery with the electrickerey as nothing domestic is connected ,ie no 12v lights currently but a good exercise to test the heating.

wouldn't need the fridge as it would be 2-4C in the cockpit,20C inside!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0104(1).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	157989  
Old 19-10-2017, 03:48   #919

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Looking good. Certainly going to be the best fitted out Prout of that era. I wish I had to skills to do the same.

Any concern on carrying diesel up front? It's reducing the space of your locker and at around 0.7kg per litre is probably heavier than fenders or whatever else you might normally store in that spot.

Are those round plastic inspection hatches ok for diesel use? I've got them in my watertight crash compartments, and in my water tanks. Considered one for my fuel tank but wasn't sure. That and it's not easy to cut a perfectly round hole that size.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:17   #920
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Looking good. Certainly going to be the best fitted out Prout of that era. I wish I had to skills to do the same.

Any concern on carrying diesel up front? It's reducing the space of your locker and at around 0.7kg per litre is probably heavier than fenders or whatever else you might normally store in that spot.

Are those round plastic inspection hatches ok for diesel use? I've got them in my watertight crash compartments, and in my water tanks. Considered one for my fuel tank but wasn't sure. That and it's not easy to cut a perfectly round hole that size.
the bow tank will probably remain empty most of the time except if on a long passage where a lot of motoring is expected,like up the red sea or west bound in the med,and it certainly takes up less space than jerry cans or 20l containers that can be a real pain to stow and empty.

i can also easily dump it if it doesn't work out only held there by a few bits of webbing and a hose clamp on the fuel line.

all the twin engined elites had bow tanks in that locker,though they were quite a bit heavier than the single engine models.

the plastic lids i had on my 1st yachts diesel tanks and did a circum nav with,they were still ok after 12 years when i sold the boat!
great for filling the tank from alongside a fuel barge when all they have is a 2" spigot!

cutting circular holes in stainless,you can pre drill with a 2mm drill bit then use a metal jigsaw bit if you want an accurate hole
Old 19-10-2017, 11:55   #921

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

80 L bow tank,connected up with transfer pump
160 L main tank in cockpit.
20 L diesel heater header tank connected up with transfer pump.
Are all three of your tanks plumbed together with transfer pumps?
and
is that a hatch I see above the tank in the front deck locker??
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:14   #922
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Are all three of your tanks plumbed together with transfer pumps?
and
is that a hatch I see above the tank in the front deck locker??
that is correct i have 2x 12v inline pumps.

there is also a return line on the heater header tank breather pipe so it overflows back into the main tank if the pump is left on, so it acts as a fuel polisher /water separator as there is a filter before the pump.

well spotted! yes it is a hatch
if you go back a few posts you will see a better photo of the locker. post#892
this is part of my all weather forced air ventilation system!

you will see there are also vents into each side hull as well.

i thought since the locker is self bailing it would be nice to be able get air flow through the boat at anchor even if it is raining ,if the deck hatch is left slightly open.

i have it open all the time on the mooring about 1" under the locking bar and it stops all the condensation during winter.

this is a mod i would reccomend for all prouts in cold climates
Old 19-10-2017, 17:30   #923

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
my better half just suggested,now the engine is up and running,toilet , galley,heating etc installed that we go somewhere for xmas in the cat.

lots of places around the bay we could go, just would need a mattress and duvet in the fwd cabin whilst being toasty around the sigmarine.....cuddled up to my lovely..

might have to do a bit of jigery pokery with the electrickerey as nothing domestic is connected ,ie no 12v lights currently but a good exercise to test the heating.

wouldn't need the fridge as it would be 2-4C in the cockpit,20C inside!
Wow.!! You have a very adventurous wife !! I like your heater , would like something like that myself , I was thinking Taylor , "sigmarine" ? Don't know them , is it better than a Taylor ?
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:19   #924
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Wow.!! You have a very adventurous wife !! I like your heater , would like something like that myself , I was thinking Taylor , "sigmarine" ? Don't know them , is it better than a Taylor ?
my wife climbed Ben nevis ,and did 10 days sailing on the west coast of scotland out of Eigg last month.....for fun...hardcore these highland lassies

it is the same as the force 10 diesel stove
https://www.kuranda.co.uk/sigmar-hea...ar120ss-sigmar

as far as i know taylors only make parafin pressurised heaters,good quality but the fuel needs pumping and a bit of a PITA to keep filling the tank from jerry cans.

mine i can just buy 60/40 red diesel in bulk if i'm running it over the winter and pump up from the main tank,uses about 120 L a month if running 24/7
Old 20-10-2017, 08:47   #925

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

As the fall weather sets in here i think a lot of us have this question- Does your wife have a sister?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:21   #926
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
As the fall weather sets in here i think a lot of us have this question- Does your wife have a sister?
she does,and single!
though more of a mountaineer,skier and trekker than a sailor
send me $1000 and discrete introductions can be arranged
Old 20-10-2017, 18:31   #927

Ah now, to do a thing right that is a bargain indeed. When a warm sporran is lightened for love ye can dance faster....

All of my ancestors were trouble makers which is how I'm in America. On the Scots side the Macnabs, an offshoot of the old Alpine naturally backed the last Scot's revolution.... Which led to a lot of relocation.

Alas with the family fortunes scattered I must follow the wind for it is free. But I can bow a strathspey or a jig as I remain a violinist at large..... And as I check my funds I must remain largely a violinist.

I do have a stove sitting in a corner but when alone can argue about whether or not to put it in till spring. You are a lucky man but I probably sail faster. And colder in more ways than one!

On this forum must be some who can afford your bargain in cash. My notes must be played but there are more than a thousand there. Good luck to all!
Old 20-10-2017, 18:44   #928
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah now, to do a thing right that is a bargain indeed. When a warm sporran is lightened for love ye can dance faster....

All of my ancestors were trouble makers which is how I'm in America. On the Scots side the Macnabs, an offshoot of the old Alpine naturally backed the last Scot's revolution.... Which led to a lot of relocation.

Alas with the family fortunes scattered I must follow the wind for it is free. But I can bow a strathspey or a jig as I remain a violinist at large..... And as I check my funds I must remain largely a violinist.

I do have a stove sitting in a corner but when alone can argue about whether or not to put it in till spring. You are a lucky man but I probably sail faster. And colder in more ways than one!

On this forum must be some who can afford your bargain in cash. My notes must be played but there are more than a thousand there. Good luck to all!
aye laddie if its a bonnie lass yeas wantin be sure to check the clan.......

BALFOUR, a very ancient name in Fife, derived from the lands of Balfour, in the parish of Markinch, formerly belonging to a fa
Old 20-10-2017, 19:03   #929

Well ours did scrimp and save and buy their lands back 100 years after Charlie. But by then my folk had already merged with Huguenots (also sent to the new country) tied in with Blackfoot and Crow (insisting it was their country) and rendezvoused with Brits escaping from things undisclosed. It is the melting pot over here after all.

If we have to come clean I play more jazz and rock, occasionally rap and reggae, get nose bleeds on the bunny hills and went cross country skiing once. But trekking now! I hike in big bear country.
Old 20-10-2017, 19:56   #930
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well ours did scrimp and save and buy their lands back 100 years after Charlie. But by then my folk had already merged with Huguenots (also sent to the new country) tied in with Blackfoot and Crow (insisting it was their country) and rendezvoused with Brits escaping from things undisclosed. It is the melting pot over here after all.

If we have to come clean I play more jazz and rock, occasionally rap and reggae, get nose bleeds on the bunny hills and went cross country skiing once. But trekking now! I hike in big bear country.
as they say you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family!
my sister in law might not be the one for you..........

not one to drop names...but whenever i have jewish or isreali friends around,i like to mention my kids great uncle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration

Tags
grass, paracelle