Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 02:57   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: modernizing a prout elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
though i do have the rig that came off the macwester project,this is about 350 sq ft,about half the designed sail area,this i will use for the delivery to cornwall from london. the rig might raise a few eyebrows as it is a gaff rig with tan sails! there cant be that many gaff rigged prouts about
Nah, keep it as a motorboat for the delivery, you are afterall only coastal hoping. It would save a lot of work on the wrong side of the country so KISS principle, you just need to get her home and then the fun can begin.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 03:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Nah, keep it as a motorboat for the delivery, you are afterall only coastal hoping. It would save a lot of work on the wrong side of the country so KISS principle, you just need to get her home and then the fun can begin.

Pete
the "brand new engine" has been standing for 20 years on its pallet in a storeroom,so would like a back up apart from the dinghy,plus it could be quite expensive getting stuck with a bad engine in somewhere like brighton marina!

wanna come along for the delivery? plan on doing it in august so should be a bit warmer than last time!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 04:50   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
the "brand new engine" has been standing for 20 years on its pallet in a storeroom,so would like a back up apart from the dinghy,plus it could be quite expensive getting stuck with a bad engine in somewhere like brighton marina!

wanna come along for the delivery? plan on doing it in august so should be a bit warmer than last time!
I feel a bit guilty about the last time, buying all that food and then not being able to use it. You need a loo to, a bucket doesn't do it for me.

Engine should be fine, bit like an old chart, rocks don't move probably a damn sight more reliable than a 20 yr old abused engine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 05:47   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I feel a bit guilty about the last time, buying all that food and then not being able to use it. You need a loo to, a bucket doesn't do it for me.

Engine should be fine, bit like an old chart, rocks don't move probably a damn sight more reliable than a 20 yr old abused engine.

Pete
no worries! we used the food on the 3 1/2 day drift to falmouth!

will see what we can do about a bog in the short term.......dont want to pollute any more beaches!
Old 16-05-2013, 06:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: modernizing a prout elite 37ft

Looking at the diagrams I'd leave it where it is... either raise the support or.. box the existing one !O! and have the taller rig and mount the mast winches and all lines to below it on the bulkhead... central... no clambering around on the coach roof.. if you know what I mean..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 10:34   #21

Boat: wharram tiki 26

What about a crab claw rig?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:44   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
What about a crab claw rig?
will be doing a test run with the gaff rig soon.....not so differn't to a crab claw lol
Old 16-05-2013, 13:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Looking at the diagrams I'd leave it where it is... either raise the support or.. box the existing one !O! and have the taller rig and mount the mast winches and all lines to below it on the bulkhead... central... no clambering around on the coach roof.. if you know what I mean..
another alternative is to move it 8 inches further back and keep the prout design,only get a longer mast and step it on the cockpit floor,and still have the space for the uptairs galley,that way it would look the same,use the existing rigging points that have had extra layers of glass layup.

the bonus being their are lots of secondhand sails for the prout available.
it would get rid of the wasted space and weight the 6x6 mast post makes.
and more or less be in line with existing designs,that have a bridge deck cockpit enclosure.

like this one,that has been done very nicely
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Old 19-05-2013, 08:30   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Quote:

another alternative is to move it 8 inches further back and keep the prout design,only get a longer mast and step it on the cockpit floor,and still have the space for the uptairs galley,that way it would look the same,use the existing rigging points that have had extra layers of glass layup.

the bonus being their are lots of secondhand sails for the prout available.
it would get rid of the wasted space and weight the 6x6 mast post makes.
and more or less be in line with existing designs,that have a bridge deck cockpit enclosure.

like this one,that has been done very nicely
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
I agree to keep original position for mast if was original design, reasons obvious. In my catalac10m case former owners added keels not allowing cat to slide down beam wave with potential roll over
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I agree to keep original position for mast if was original design, reasons obvious. In my catalac10m case former owners added keels not allowing cat to slide down beam wave with potential roll over
after looking at the "broadblue catamarans",it is probably a good idea to keep the rig in the same place,as this may be the way that all cruising cats are rigged in the future.

looks a bit odd,but after the many circumnavigations on headsails alone it has obviously proven its worth and reliability.

as many people have fitted raised dodgers i dont think having a raised cabin encloseure will detract too much from the re sale value.

so the plan is to build a moulding to raise the roof,but keep the mast in the same position,but have it stepped on the cross beam through the cabin roof, thus allowing an upstairs galley,standing room and fwd visibility.
Old 19-05-2013, 15:45   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

customising the sonic drive outboard z drive in my new workshop and other goodies stockpiled!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0487.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	60994   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0492.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	60995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0491.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	60996   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0490.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	60997  

Old 19-05-2013, 16:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Well you seem to find the best deals in the do it up boat category.
I think your ideas for improving the headroom are sound, its like a bespoke custom built boat, built on a known and proven hull.
Now I know this is totally outrageous but how about moving the mast even further forward and using a lug rig. Yeah I know 'ha ha' a lug rig cat it hasn't been done before but I know Atol can 'Think outside the box' Nigel Irens has recently designed & built a lug rigged boat to cruise on, the rig is so easy to manage. Blondie Hasler sailed Jester in the Atlantic Race (OSTAR ?) and never went on deck in an emergency and completed the race almost entirely in his lounge slippers. You can reef by just easing the main halyard, and the sails are easy to make and least forever (Nearly), if you intend to do some serious cruising I would give it some thought, I'd change my rig if I could but it is too big a job and too costly, but if you are starting from scratch?
Anyways I wish you the best of luck, I am quite jealous if only I could make the time to do it the way you do, I'm just too busy earning a living.
I am sure the boat you finish up with will be fantastic, I've worked quite a bit with epoxy and polyester resin, epoxy is very good but works out very expensive compared to polyester I know its more weight but you have to weigh the odds.
Anyway I have to shut up now before I bore eveyone to ..........
Old 19-05-2013, 18:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
Well you seem to find the best deals in the do it up boat category.
I think your ideas for improving the headroom are sound, its like a bespoke custom built boat, built on a known and proven hull.
Now I know this is totally outrageous but how about moving the mast even further forward and using a lug rig. Yeah I know 'ha ha' a lug rig cat it hasn't been done before but I know Atol can 'Think outside the box' Nigel Irens has recently designed & built a lug rigged boat to cruise on, the rig is so easy to manage. Blondie Hasler sailed Jester in the Atlantic Race (OSTAR ?) and never went on deck in an emergency and completed the race almost entirely in his lounge slippers. You can reef by just easing the main halyard, and the sails are easy to make and least forever (Nearly), if you intend to do some serious cruising I would give it some thought, I'd change my rig if I could but it is too big a job and too costly, but if you are starting from scratch?
Anyways I wish you the best of luck, I am quite jealous if only I could make the time to do it the way you do, I'm just too busy earning a living.
I am sure the boat you finish up with will be fantastic, I've worked quite a bit with epoxy and polyester resin, epoxy is very good but works out very expensive compared to polyester I know its more weight but you have to weigh the odds.
Anyway I have to shut up now before I bore eveyone to ..........
just building the temporary gaff rig,at the moment,not so different from a lugger,but for it to work properlly you would probably need 2 masts on a cat this size!

will post some photos soon ,hopefully i will be ready next week to do the 400 mile expedition and fit the,mast,engine and z drive,steering,galley and nav gear.
chainplates all made up today,tommorrow will finish the welding on the z drive bracket,swage up the rigging and i'm more or less good to go,picking a fuel tank and some pullpits on the way......dontcha love ebay!
Old 20-05-2013, 01:33   #29
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
customising the sonic drive outboard z drive in my new workshop and other goodies stockpiled!
Reminds me when we were restoring a cat, we buit a plywood wall at the bows and a wall with opening door at the stern. Made a great workshop.

Keep the pictures coming. Looking forward to see how it progresses!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 02:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks for all the encouragement!
,i'm sure i will need it as the months progress........

the macwester will soon be up for sale as i will need the dock space,so if any body knows someone who might be interested in a nicely finished,comfy 8m liveaboard bilge keeler,perfect for tidal waters,french canals,ready to go drop me a line.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html

Tags
grass, paracelle