Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2019, 06:39   #1081

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

What did you finally do with the engine? Use the diesel that came with it (vetus?)

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2019, 07:35   #1082
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What did you finally do with the engine? Use the diesel that came with it (vetus?)
yes using the vetus m4.14 ,33hp that came new with the hull.
this drives the sillete mk2 catamaran drive that has its own built in gearbox and is steerable which makes manouvering onto a dock very easy in forward or reverse.
photo is of the engine before i added new engine beds and soft flexible engine mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10202.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	199642  

Unread 11-09-2019, 08:28   #1083

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Still, the amazing one. Great work. Did you fabricate all of those fittings in the hardware pic? Or were they bought? What a labor of love. Now that she is done all proper like I want to buy her for 40 k! He he.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2019, 11:33   #1084
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Still, the amazing one. Great work. Did you fabricate all of those fittings in the hardware pic? Or were they bought? What a labor of love. Now that she is done all proper like I want to buy her for 40 k! He he.
the riggers supplied the 2 T-BALL inserts and terminals for the cap shrouds.

the sparcraft spreader base assembly was repositioned,as were the spreaders which were cut down by 6 inches and at right angles to the mast,instead of swept back as they were before and cut out for the stemball fitting insert.

the inner forestay fitting i had to fabricate and insert inside the mast,this was a copy of the forestay fitting that also had to be re-positioned at the top of the mast.

the bottom halyard roller assembly , base plate shoe for the mast and clutch and winch plates assembly's all were water jet cut out then welded up by myself ,then polished .

all the blanking plates on the mast i had to cut out from the off cut mast section,these were all glued using bellzona metal epoxy and riveted with 1/4'diam monel rivets as were both the forestay fittings.
i used over 100 rivets!

the riggers were impressed by my work,also by the (wider fore and aft elongated) sparcraft mast section giving added stiffness in the upper and lower panels allowing good forestay and inner forestay tension.

i also just today bought a very nice condition second hand boom ,gooseneck and mast fitting from the riggers for the mainsail,for $120!
it will need shortening slightly but that pretty much completes the rig for the moment

Tags
paracelle