Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 00:52   #1021

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

I bought a Vetus KS55Z Black Padded Marine Steering Wheel (550mm) from ASAP after I got out of the marina to find that the previous wheel came off in my hand. It was a bodge job somewhere down the line by one of my boats previous 12 owners.

The original one was a little larger which did look better was better, but it was wrong taper for the steering pump so exerted too much pressure on just a quarter of the woodruff key, and was held in place by a mixture of bolts washers and big piece of epoxy (which of course cracked). Fun times.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 01:01   #1022

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydawn2 View Post
Next job we need a wheel. What diameter would you guys say looks right for the boat. I have a sea star 2 teleflex hub so I am thinking it’s a 3/4” taper. [ATTACH]Attachment 168878[/ATTACH]
I have a wheel in my shed which is getting in the way. I will post some photos. It needs cleaning up, painting and a leather cover adding for comfort but will be priced accordingly.

Oh and I also have a box of bits for an early Raymarine ST4000 autohelm for sale. See this:

Raymarine ST4000 Wheel Pilot Spares - Mk 1 Black Model

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 01:26   #1023

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Some pictures of the wheel which has a diameter of 62cm. However, you need to measure the taper accurately because I have made this mistake before. This wheel has a 1" hole but I can't measure the taper. There is a conversion ring available if it all goes pear shaped btw:

https://www.go2marine.com/product/15...ed-hb0572.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	168880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	168881  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	168882  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 08:03   #1024

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
please do let us know ,4 us gallons or 15.6 liters seems like a lot!
though i would expect it should get you at least 2-3 seasons in cold water
Well, got 3/4 of the hull coated with the first coat last night, not including the nacelle strip. On the starboard inner hull, we did not paint from the beginning of the keel to the mounting of the rudder, and on the port inner hull, we did not paint the keel. The remainder was painted. (blister repair drying out overnight prior to patching ).

It took 3/4 of a gallon for this much. I would guesstimate a gallon and a quart for one coat on everything, so my estimate may have been fat by a gallon - I might get away with 3 gallons total for the 2 1/2 coat system I intend to apply.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 14:54   #1025
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydawn2 View Post
Next job we need a wheel. What diameter would you guys say looks right for the boat. I have a sea star 2 teleflex hub so I am thinking it’s a 3/4” taper. [ATTACH]Attachment 168878[/ATTACH]
the wheel i have is about 55cm diam with an edison/whitworth shaft,that is a 1" shaft tapered to about 7/8"

the teleflex is probably a smaller size,but will be a standard size and taper if you go on their website.
SeaStar Solutions || a global supplier of marine equipment for sports and leisure boats.

see diagram
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...standard-helm/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 15:00   #1026
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
Well, got 3/4 of the hull coated with the first coat last night, not including the nacelle strip. On the starboard inner hull, we did not paint from the beginning of the keel to the mounting of the rudder, and on the port inner hull, we did not paint the keel. The remainder was painted. (blister repair drying out overnight prior to patching ).

It took 3/4 of a gallon for this much. I would guesstimate a gallon and a quart for one coat on everything, so my estimate may have been fat by a gallon - I might get away with 3 gallons total for the 2 1/2 coat system I intend to apply.
thanks for the update,@ a few hundred dollars a tin, bought in the boat yard,this will help others to get quantities right if shopping for bargain paint before a haulout
Old 09-05-2018, 00:51   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have a wheel in my shed which is getting in the way. I will post some photos. It needs cleaning up, painting and a leather cover adding for comfort but will be priced accordingly.

Oh and I also have a box of bits for an early Raymarine ST4000 autohelm for sale. See this:

Raymarine ST4000 Wheel Pilot Spares - Mk 1 Black Model

Pete
Thanks Pete
Sorry it’s taken a while to reply we have just spent our first weekend in the boat since buying it. Now got more to work out 😫 thanks for the offer of the wheel but it’s a bit too big. I am however interested in the bits you have for the auto helm. Please pm me so we can discuss payment and postage 🤗
Thanks Debbie
greydawn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43   #1028

Hello from the Maururu,
Did you already pas true the suez kanal?

Do you no if there are harbours from Turkey untill Suez where you can find other sailors ho are going to pas the Suez? So I can go with other ships to the Indian ocean.
maururu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31   #1029
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maururu View Post
Hello from the Maururu,
Did you already pas true the suez kanal?

Do you no if there are harbours from Turkey untill Suez where you can find other sailors ho are going to pas the Suez? So I can go with other ships to the Indian ocean.
you might find others in finike turkey,larnaca cyprus,port said and ishmalia in the canal before you get to suez yacht club where most boats stop for a few days to refuel and provision.

i have done the canal twice south bound and 5 times north bound,generally there were many more boats headed north than south in the past.

perhaps you could leave a message on the face book page,or contact the CF member Miyagi Moon who organised the last med asia safari and ask if he knows of other yachts transiting.

link here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ri-201070.html
Old 11-06-2018, 18:13   #1030

Boat: Still building

Hey, atol
Just reading a thread about a Prout that went down off the Caicos, and apparently the owner found a delamination or some other problem in the inner hull side that caused one hull to fill, flipping the boat.
Might be worth having a look at these areas if you haven't already, and before they're completely hidden by lockers and linings!
Cheers

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-202205-3.html
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:58   #1031

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Well Atoll, I think I've found a Prout almost as good as yours will be.

Far too many images to post here. Here's the broker page.

2001 Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

Incidentally, I met the owners of a 37 Elite yesterday. I was admiring their bow sprit. They'd taken a 50mm plus SS tube and had it bolted to the nacelle. No A frame, no rigging running down to the bows or anything. It looked smart and felt sturdy. They said they used it with their gennaker type sail with much success.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:19   #1032
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Hey, atol
Just reading a thread about a Prout that went down off the Caicos, and apparently the owner found a delamination or some other problem in the inner hull side that caused one hull to fill, flipping the boat.
Might be worth having a look at these areas if you haven't already, and before they're completely hidden by lockers and linings!
Cheers

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-202205-3.html
yes i have also seen the thread.

i would think that the weakness in the hull was caused by previous damage that went unnoticed when they purchased the boat from a hurricane prone area, exacerbated by wave action bashing to windward.

what caused the boat to flip and sink was not the hole,rather the alteration of the water tight compartments in the bows to storage lockers.
this as result caused the boat to lose the prouts well know and designed ability to float with a flooded hull or hulls.

in my case as i bought the boat as just a hull molding with only the fwd bulkhead fitted.
so i have been able to fully inspect,any possible damage that might have happened whilst it sat for nearly 20 years under a cover in the boatyard.

i have also paid special attention to keeping and increasing the designed internal bouyancy on my boat.

in addition all the sea cocks are located in watertight lockers.
in the aft cabins the furthest aft lockers are also water tight,as well as the designed bouyancy in the steering compartment.

the water tanks are fully sealed,and could be emptied of fresh water in the event of a hull breach in that area to create extra bouyancy.

both fwd watertight lockers have water tight floors in them filled with PU foam to the waterline.

plus all the interiour under floor , hull,deck and bulkhead surfaces are lined with 25mm of insulation foam,that is closed cell and bouyant.

this makes me fairly confident that although probably not unsinkable it would float for quite a few days even if holed.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48   #1033
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Well Atoll, I think I've found a Prout almost as good as yours will be.

Far too many images to post here. Here's the broker page.

2001 Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

Incidentally, I met the owners of a 37 Elite yesterday. I was admiring their bow sprit. They'd taken a 50mm plus SS tube and had it bolted to the nacelle. No A frame, no rigging running down to the bows or anything. It looked smart and felt sturdy. They said they used it with their gennaker type sail with much success.
nice looking but looks very heavy!
mine floats about 8 inches higher on the water.
a fixed bow sprit could be an option.
thanks for posting the link.

hopefully i will post some photos of my aft cabins soon once the new linings are finished
Old 12-06-2018, 18:08   #1034

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

i would think that the weakness in the hull was caused by previous damage that went unnoticed when they purchased the boat from a hurricane prone area, exacerbated by wave action bashing to windward......

....this makes me fairly confident that although probably not unsinkable it would float for quite a few days even if holed.
Shoulda known you'd be across the small details!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 23:31   #1035

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Atol, I have read your string. What a job....you are amazing and tenacious. BTW what were you doing when you decided to stretch your tendons????? Were you messing with the motor install or out drive leg?

Atol....my hat is off to you. That was a huge undertaking. Your quality of work was very good and well thought out. Thanks for all the time you put into sharing your design and execution. Your documentation should inform all want to be project boat guys of how much work it really takes to do this big of a job. My highest respects, sir....
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, paracelle