Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: modernizing a prout elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
These boats can't handle the weight of twin diesels. Clearly you're not concerned with these type of realities so have at it!
probably not if they are constructed to the kit form mfg specifications,using heavy materials,weighing in at around 6750 kg,
though using baLsa core,and composite panels,at a guess the hull will be 1500kg lighter than the designed weight,which gives a bit of leeway for modifications.

having been on the narrower earlier model today of the snowgoose,i can only describe the construction as massively over built!

bare in mind this is only a shell at the moment,so it is not the same as taking a finished hull and retro fitting twin engines,that would add a great deal of weight to an allready heavy hull.

but thanks for you well reasoned input
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

after many years of constructing and refitting boats all over the world it never ceases to amaze me the brotherhood of the sea,and the characters you meet along the way!

today i visited a fellow on one of the older prout catamarans who is doing a refit,he must be in his mid 80's,and sitting in is cockpit are two propellors for the sonic drive unit that i have,and have everything for apart from the propellor,i picked one up to look at it and the fellow asked if i needed it!,and to take them both if i could use them,i tried to offer him money but would not accept anything in return!

it allways pays to talk to people!

this has got to be my score of the week!

otherwise got the battery box and chart table finished,
finished the transverse bulk head enough to sail with
finished the midsection stiffening,hulls very solid now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0588.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	62132   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0589.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	62133  

Name:	SAM_0590.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	62134  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: modernizing a prout elite 37ft

Both the Catalac's I've delivered had twin shaft drive 10hp Bukh's in them... banged along at 7kts in a slight sea... they were just 30ft.
Came in very handy for steerage in a 50kt blow in Gib Straits...
Otherwise rig a Ruggerini 25hp diesel outboard central off the back of the cockpit.
Probably a crap idea...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 13:14   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Both the Catalac's I've delivered had twin shaft drive 10hp Bukh's in them... banged along at 7kts in a slight sea... they were just 30ft.
Came in very handy for steerage in a 50kt blow in Gib Straits...
Otherwise rig a Ruggerini 25hp diesel outboard central off the back of the cockpit.
Probably a crap idea...
i have no shortage of engines at the moment!

was just an idea to run twins,since i have 2 nearly matching 30hp diesels,and the stern drive weighs nearly as much as a second engine anyway.
would be nice to be able to run a shaft generator off one of them.
Old 08-06-2013, 14:27   #80

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

I have a 30 hp engine and it makes me faster upto 20 Hp about 6 Kns then the noise and wash increase with very little extra speed for the extra 10 hp.
the sonic leg is good for steering and i see the control lever in your cockpit so save weight for beer carriing capacity. the sails can realy make her shift though i got a fright the only time she got on the plane. time to reduce sail then..
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 15:00   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejucer View Post
I have a 30 hp engine and it makes me faster upto 20 Hp about 6 Kns then the noise and wash increase with very little extra speed for the extra 10 hp.
the sonic leg is good for steering and i see the control lever in your cockpit so save weight for beer carriing capacity. the sails can realy make her shift though i got a fright the only time she got on the plane. time to reduce sail then..
yes,probably best to concentrate on keeping her as light as posible during the build,and the 32hp vetus i have should push her along nicely
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

got the waterlines marked and taped off today ready for sanding tommorow

,i really needed a team of trained hobbits or the 7 dwarfs as the clearance is only5 ft under the bridgedeck!

bulkheads in in fwd cabins set in place will add horizontal stiffening tommorow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0592.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	62183   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0594.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	62184  

Name:	SAM_0595.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	62185  
Old 09-06-2013, 13:00   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I don't mean to pick on you, but I would give some serious thought to redoing the aft say 6' of each hull to give a proper transom and more displacement aft. I have never seen a prout out cruising that was floating even close to designed waterline and most did not have much more onboard that one would expect to have for cruising. If would also get rid of the shoebox extension things that the elite has, but again only so much that can be done within reason.
Old 09-06-2013, 13:31   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't mean to pick on you, but I would give some serious thought to redoing the aft say 6' of each hull to give a proper transom and more displacement aft. I have never seen a prout out cruising that was floating even close to designed waterline and most did not have much more onboard that one would expect to have for cruising. If would also get rid of the shoebox extension things that the elite has, but again only so much that can be done within reason.
i think there is a lot that can be done to reduce the weight overall on the interiour build using lightweight panels,and a lot less heavy stainless deck hardware,chainplates,backing plates,owner add ons etc

the standard factory built vessel inside is built as a 70's-80's heavy displacement mono would have been built,bullet proof,but close to its upper waterline marks before any cruising gear is added.

it will be interesting to see how she floats in this more or less bare minimum tempory state when i sail her to cornwall in august-sept
Old 09-06-2013, 13:58   #85

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

,i really needed a team of trained hobbits or the 7 dwarfs as the clearance is only5 ft under the bridgedeck!

Hey, I resemble that remark.

How did you mark off the water lines? Are you going by 'bathtub rings' from before or is there a place on the plans that tell you where they are? How do you get them straight from one end to the other (and across)?
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 00:56   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark.

How did you mark off the water lines? Are you going by 'bathtub rings' from before or is there a place on the plans that tell you where they are? How do you get them straight from one end to the other (and across)?

good question!

since the hull is straight from the mold,and never been in the water there are no "bath tub rings"!

on the bow on either hull there are marks from the mold scribed into the hull that correspond with designed waterline and boot top,and on the stern inside the arch on either side of the nacelle.

also the plans give a waterline which is about 3" lower than the marks scribed into the hull,so faced with a bit of a dilemma i cheated!

on the dock in the water is a fully kitted out prout elite,so i snuck down there with my tape measure and measured off his lines,which are about 6" above the designed waterline.

since i am doing an anti osmosis treatment i wanted a realistic fully loaded datum,so opted for rasing the lines 3" which will give a generous boot top,and the option to raise the anti fouling in the future,and still have osmosis protection.

marking off was done using a fixed batton across the bows and stern,and a few tightly streched thin lines that were taped to the hull as the line was moved to accept the curve.

if the boat was level,which it is not i would have used a clear hose and a water level ho mark off
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06   #87

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

with my current setup of stern drive i might mount the engine in the cockpit well, where the fuel tank normally goes and run a shaft to the transom that will link up with a universal joint to the sonic drive!

you will see why once i get to that stage and post some photos,this will also move a lot of weight into the mid section,but toying with fitting twin engines in the aft cabins,as i have a 27hp lombardini,and a vetus 32hp that would fit nicely,though extra weight-----and my other boat would be mssing its genset engine
Keep the engine in the designed place. If you got pooped never mind the rain you would get a wet engine. And hence rust. If it was in the well. Never mind the other slop. Some people fill the well with a fuel tank but I use only half leaving space for access to engine (promise to load photo) and store jerry can.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:32   #88

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Atoll would you consider dyneema rigging?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Atoll would you consider dyneema rigging?
not sure of its uv resistance and abarsion resistance running with bamboo poles rubbing against it....and besides that i have 200m of 8mm new 316 rigging wire sitting in my shed
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejucer View Post
Keep the engine in the designed place. If you got pooped never mind the rain you would get a wet engine. And hence rust. If it was in the well. Never mind the other slop. Some people fill the well with a fuel tank but I use only half leaving space for access to engine (promise to load photo) and store jerry can.
will see later in the week when i get round to fitting the stern drive what my options are,have got the old sonic drive 100 with the shorter leg and gearbox,so it runs direct off the fly wheel, via a landrover uv joint and bracket extended 40 cm off the transom so i can lower the leg another 25cm,to give 80 cm lenth of leg

Tags
grass, paracelle