Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 12:01   #766

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Atoll, I continue to be not just impressed but in awe of the work you are doing. You are surely building a fine yacht for yourself. I only hope you will eventually finish with the pleasure of building and find time for the pleasure of cruising.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 23:58   #767

And if you choose to sell it ever hopefully you will be very well rewarded for your hard work! A friend just sold their 98 Elite, in top condition (except for the usual crazed windows) for just shy of £80K sterling. I never thought they would get that to be honest but in the end they had two offers and the first one to make the bank transfer got it! And that was within 6 months of advertising and only using free online ads rather than a broker because no good Yorkshireman will pay 8% fees!

Anyway, probably irrelevant to you for a very long time but it looks like yours will be better finished than the factory, with more modern equipment and of course "new" so you can probably get a very handsome price for her one day - there is still an amazing amount of interest in the Prouts despite cheap ex-charter Lagoons etc flooding the market.
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 00:10   #768
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Atoll, I continue to be not just impressed but in awe of the work you are doing. You are surely building a fine yacht for yourself. I only hope you will eventually finish with the pleasure of building and find time for the pleasure of cruising.

S/V B'Shert
Naah.... if Alex is like me he will find another thing to build...
You have to enjoy the doing because while the using is nice, the doing is the real life....
Take note Boatie... enjoy upgrading your Van der whatsit...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:39   #769
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

S/V B'Shert
thanks for your kind words,they are a great encouragement to keep the standards up,and who knows I might just have to take "Far Atoll" on a test sail now the Red sea seems to be open for business again
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:53   #770
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
And if you choose to sell it ever hopefully you will be very well rewarded for your hard work! A friend just sold their 98 Elite, in top condition (except for the usual crazed windows) for just shy of £80K sterling. I never thought they would get that to be honest but in the end they had two offers and the first one to make the bank transfer got it! And that was within 6 months of advertising and only using free online ads rather than a broker because no good Yorkshireman will pay 8% fees!

Anyway, probably irrelevant to you for a very long time but it looks like yours will be better finished than the factory, with more modern equipment and of course "new" so you can probably get a very handsome price for her one day - there is still an amazing amount of interest in the Prouts despite cheap ex-charter Lagoons etc flooding the market.
this was part of my dilemma when I initially started this thread,ie to keep the boat standard,or to just go ahead and build to my own specification.
hopefully I have found the happy medium!

though I do belive insulation throughout and using laminates for the ceilings and surfaces will be a big improvement on the factory fitted mouse fur and vinyl that so often fails on production models.
Old 18-04-2016, 01:59   #771
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Naah.... if Alex is like me he will find another thing to build...
You have to enjoy the doing because while the using is nice, the doing is the real life....
Take note Boatie... enjoy upgrading your Van der whatsit...
no shortage here of on going projects

our 63 footer needs a fair amount of work before putting it on the market,to fund the south seas cruising
Old 18-04-2016, 05:33   #772
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Wheeeeeeee!

Moving and makin' stuff. Nice work, Mr. A.

(I still want a new door....with a window...and curly curtains....and a flower box.)
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:45   #773
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wheeeeeeee!

Moving and makin' stuff. Nice work, Mr. A.

(I still want a new door....with a window...and curly curtains....and a flower box.)
These should go nicely with the Atoll art!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:58   #774
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that's just a work in progress,as the 220v and 12 volt wiring go behind the removable panel that covers the toerail bolts,so no exposed wiring once it is done,
I was not being serious..!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:22   #775
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was not being serious..!!
the plastic coating on the wires is also designed to contain the "magic blue smoke" inside..............
Old 03-05-2016, 20:18   #776

Hi Atoll,

How is the progress these days? Like all the others - great work and thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Forgive me if I missed it in this, I have read most of the thread but not all, but what happened to doing an increased cabin top? Like a Gemini type?
Are you considering a companionway like this one?
Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Cause

Cheers,
SC
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02   #777
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Hi Atoll,

How is the progress these days? Like all the others - great work and thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Forgive me if I missed it in this, I have read most of the thread but not all, but what happened to doing an increased cabin top? Like a Gemini type?
Are you considering a companionway like this one?
Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Cause

Cheers,
SC
Hi SC
progress is good,though not a lot that makes good photos,hence not posting for a while

to answer you question,i decided not to alter the design,and keep the boat as standard as possible,with a view to the potential impact of non standard alterations to the resale value.

the companion way is the standard one,with the reinforced frame insert supplied by prout,however I have custom made the door with an insulated fiberglass moulding,instead of just see through plexiglass door.(see photos)

the article posted I found very interesting as it refers not to the snow goose elite 37ft but to the later ,wider,39ft escale,that was built after prout went bust,by the new management,and indeed was a completly different vessel in many ways to the tried and tested Elite and Snowgoose models.

the escale actually I belive was built by the same people who trade now as Broadblue,under the prout name, and at the time the company was having serious financial difficulties that eventually led to its demise.

here are a few photos of the work in progress in the stb fwd cabin,note the seat which has been built to accommodate a portable 20 liter chest freezer underneath it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10849.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	123683   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10914.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	123684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10911.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	123685   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10733.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	123686  

Old 04-05-2016, 02:58   #778

Actually the Escale was built by "proper" Prout but in their declining years and many were very well built. The same design was built by Prout SA as the Manta. Broadblue started with a modified 42 design with some ex-Prout staff, though now they are a very different company with no Prout staff any more and the boats are made in Poland for most models though the latest 550 model was designed by Darren Newton and made down in Devon (or Cornwall - it all gets a bit fuzzy on that side of the country )
Old 04-05-2016, 03:57   #779
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
Actually the Escale was built by "proper" Prout but in their declining years and many were very well built. The same design was built by Prout SA as the Manta. Broadblue started with a modified 42 design with some ex-Prout staff, though now they are a very different company with no Prout staff any more and the boats are made in Poland for most models though the latest 550 model was designed by Darren Newton and made down in Devon (or Cornwall - it all gets a bit fuzzy on that side of the country )
thanks for correcting me,i was under the impression that the company had gone bust in 1990,and the escale was built after this

fortunately mine is an Elite,and I have none of the problems associated with the Escale
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25   #780

They had a couple of restructures but were still in business in 2000 - my friend had the very last Elite built in 2000 (though not finished by Prout). Thankfully I have a 76 Snowgoose which is built like a tank but still only weights 3.5 tonnes and 40 years on still surveyed as in perfect condition structurally - from when Prout really knew how to build boats.

I only chimed in because I'm friends with one of the directors of Broadblue and wouldn't want them to be seen as a failed Prout offshoot - as I recall the ex-marketing director of Prout went to BB but left after a couple of years and the current company has no connections with Prout and no longer make anything resembling Prout designs.

Tags
grass, paracelle