Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 12:01   #766
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,826
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Atoll, I continue to be not just impressed but in awe of the work you are doing. You are surely building a fine yacht for yourself. I only hope you will eventually finish with the pleasure of building and find time for the pleasure of cruising.


S/V B'Shert
__________________

__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 23:58   #767
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

And if you choose to sell it ever hopefully you will be very well rewarded for your hard work! A friend just sold their 98 Elite, in top condition (except for the usual crazed windows) for just shy of 80K sterling. I never thought they would get that to be honest but in the end they had two offers and the first one to make the bank transfer got it! And that was within 6 months of advertising and only using free online ads rather than a broker because no good Yorkshireman will pay 8% fees!

Anyway, probably irrelevant to you for a very long time but it looks like yours will be better finished than the factory, with more modern equipment and of course "new" so you can probably get a very handsome price for her one day - there is still an amazing amount of interest in the Prouts despite cheap ex-charter Lagoons etc flooding the market.
__________________

__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 00:10   #768
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,525
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Atoll, I continue to be not just impressed but in awe of the work you are doing. You are surely building a fine yacht for yourself. I only hope you will eventually finish with the pleasure of building and find time for the pleasure of cruising.


S/V B'Shert
Naah.... if Alex is like me he will find another thing to build...
You have to enjoy the doing because while the using is nice, the doing is the real life....
Take note Boatie... enjoy upgrading your Van der whatsit...
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:39   #769
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Atoll, I continue to be not just impressed but in awe of the work you are doing. You are surely building a fine yacht for yourself. I only hope you will eventually finish with the pleasure of building and find time for the pleasure of cruising.


S/V B'Shert
thanks for your kind words,they are a great encouragement to keep the standards up,and who knows I might just have to take "Far Atoll" on a test sail now the Red sea seems to be open for business again
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:53   #770
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
And if you choose to sell it ever hopefully you will be very well rewarded for your hard work! A friend just sold their 98 Elite, in top condition (except for the usual crazed windows) for just shy of 80K sterling. I never thought they would get that to be honest but in the end they had two offers and the first one to make the bank transfer got it! And that was within 6 months of advertising and only using free online ads rather than a broker because no good Yorkshireman will pay 8% fees!

Anyway, probably irrelevant to you for a very long time but it looks like yours will be better finished than the factory, with more modern equipment and of course "new" so you can probably get a very handsome price for her one day - there is still an amazing amount of interest in the Prouts despite cheap ex-charter Lagoons etc flooding the market.
this was part of my dilemma when I initially started this thread,ie to keep the boat standard,or to just go ahead and build to my own specification.
hopefully I have found the happy medium!

though I do belive insulation throughout and using laminates for the ceilings and surfaces will be a big improvement on the factory fitted mouse fur and vinyl that so often fails on production models.
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:59   #771
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Naah.... if Alex is like me he will find another thing to build...
You have to enjoy the doing because while the using is nice, the doing is the real life....
Take note Boatie... enjoy upgrading your Van der whatsit...
no shortage here of on going projects

our 63 footer needs a fair amount of work before putting it on the market,to fund the south seas cruising
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:33   #772
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Wheeeeeeee!

Moving and makin' stuff. Nice work, Mr. A.

(I still want a new door....with a window...and curly curtains....and a flower box.)
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:45   #773
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wheeeeeeee!

Moving and makin' stuff. Nice work, Mr. A.

(I still want a new door....with a window...and curly curtains....and a flower box.)
These should go nicely with the Atoll art!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:58   #774
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,069
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that's just a work in progress,as the 220v and 12 volt wiring go behind the removable panel that covers the toerail bolts,so no exposed wiring once it is done,
I was not being serious..!!
__________________


"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:22   #775
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was not being serious..!!
the plastic coating on the wires is also designed to contain the "magic blue smoke" inside..............
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 20:18   #776
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 245
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Hi Atoll,

How is the progress these days? Like all the others - great work and thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Forgive me if I missed it in this, I have read most of the thread but not all, but what happened to doing an increased cabin top? Like a Gemini type?
Are you considering a companionway like this one?
Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Cause

Cheers,
SC
__________________
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02   #777
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Hi Atoll,

How is the progress these days? Like all the others - great work and thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Forgive me if I missed it in this, I have read most of the thread but not all, but what happened to doing an increased cabin top? Like a Gemini type?
Are you considering a companionway like this one?
Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Cause

Cheers,
SC
Hi SC
progress is good,though not a lot that makes good photos,hence not posting for a while

to answer you question,i decided not to alter the design,and keep the boat as standard as possible,with a view to the potential impact of non standard alterations to the resale value.

the companion way is the standard one,with the reinforced frame insert supplied by prout,however I have custom made the door with an insulated fiberglass moulding,instead of just see through plexiglass door.(see photos)

the article posted I found very interesting as it refers not to the snow goose elite 37ft but to the later ,wider,39ft escale,that was built after prout went bust,by the new management,and indeed was a completly different vessel in many ways to the tried and tested Elite and Snowgoose models.

the escale actually I belive was built by the same people who trade now as Broadblue,under the prout name, and at the time the company was having serious financial difficulties that eventually led to its demise.

here are a few photos of the work in progress in the stb fwd cabin,note the seat which has been built to accommodate a portable 20 liter chest freezer underneath it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10849.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	123683   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10914.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	123684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10911.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	123685   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10733.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	123686  

__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:58   #778
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Actually the Escale was built by "proper" Prout but in their declining years and many were very well built. The same design was built by Prout SA as the Manta. Broadblue started with a modified 42 design with some ex-Prout staff, though now they are a very different company with no Prout staff any more and the boats are made in Poland for most models though the latest 550 model was designed by Darren Newton and made down in Devon (or Cornwall - it all gets a bit fuzzy on that side of the country )
__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:57   #779
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,752
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
Actually the Escale was built by "proper" Prout but in their declining years and many were very well built. The same design was built by Prout SA as the Manta. Broadblue started with a modified 42 design with some ex-Prout staff, though now they are a very different company with no Prout staff any more and the boats are made in Poland for most models though the latest 550 model was designed by Darren Newton and made down in Devon (or Cornwall - it all gets a bit fuzzy on that side of the country )
thanks for correcting me,i was under the impression that the company had gone bust in 1990,and the escale was built after this

fortunately mine is an Elite,and I have none of the problems associated with the Escale
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25   #780
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

They had a couple of restructures but were still in business in 2000 - my friend had the very last Elite built in 2000 (though not finished by Prout). Thankfully I have a 76 Snowgoose which is built like a tank but still only weights 3.5 tonnes and 40 years on still surveyed as in perfect condition structurally - from when Prout really knew how to build boats.

I only chimed in because I'm friends with one of the directors of Broadblue and wouldn't want them to be seen as a failed Prout offshoot - as I recall the ex-marketing director of Prout went to BB but left after a couple of years and the current company has no connections with Prout and no longer make anything resembling Prout designs.
__________________

__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prout Snowgoose Elite 37 HELP! philipmclaren1 Multihull Sailboats 7 05-12-2012 14:47
Want To Buy: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite or regular traderdan Classifieds Archive 1 26-12-2011 18:02
Want To Buy: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite or Regular traderdan Classifieds Archive 1 10-12-2011 10:13
For Sale: Prout 38 Catamaran Nigel Leakey Classifieds Archive 0 19-09-2011 08:55
For Sale or Trade: Prout Snowgoose Elite ricosail Classifieds Archive 3 11-07-2011 07:35


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.