Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 01:12   #526
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
even better than that ,I get to go to hungary on "holiday" for 2 weeks in October to visit my mother.....she has sent me a shopping list of stuff to bring out with me,and is already hinting about "repairs" to the house--------plus the 8 cubic meters of logs that need splitting for winter fuel

meantime back here ,toe rails and fore stay chainplate are onboard and ready to be fitted,wife is on holiday till Friday to help.

I just need it to stop raining and the tides to be right at the same time so I can pre drill through the hull/deck join from the dinghy without getting electrocuted

sorry no photos,batteries were flat again
When lived in the States, I bought a small log splitter and chainsaw. Nothing like watching the dried wood get pressured into smaller pieces and then a quick cut to approx sizes. One day of operation and the log store was full for 1.5 seasons.........
I tried it the old fashioned way of splitting with axe and chisel. Made me sweat and breathe hard.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 01:54   #527
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
When lived in the States, I bought a small log splitter and chainsaw. Nothing like watching the dried wood get pressured into smaller pieces and then a quick cut to approx sizes. One day of operation and the log store was full for 1.5 seasons.........
I tried it the old fashioned way of splitting with axe and chisel. Made me sweat and breathe hard.
I tried that as well,ie getting the right tool for her to do the job........

problem is she gets in the local workmen who invariably bugger up the tool or "borrow" it,never to be seen again

might have to recruit an "educated migrant" for a few days work,hungarian cheap labour costs a fortune in broken and missing tools
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:07   #528
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Or a monkey...with big arms...and a perfect golf swing.

You guyz tawk too much. Back to work all you lot. You're now sounding like a bunch of wanking Oyster Owners with all this mektric tawk and tawk of chain sawz.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 12:01   #529
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Or a monkey...with big arms...and a perfect golf swing.

You guyz tawk too much. Back to work all you lot. You're now sounding like a bunch of wanking Oyster Owners with all this mektric tawk and tawk of chain sawz.
we woz waiting for the tide,bigboy

rain stopped about 12am,managed to get the 1st section of toe rail in place and pre drilled through the hull,ready for sikaflex,was all going great until I lost the second allen key of the day over the side

pre drilled the forestay chain plate whilst waiting for the missus to go and buy another set of allen keys,by the time she got back tide was nearly out so called it a day at 7 pm.

now have long string for the new allen key taped to it
Old 25-08-2015, 14:30   #530

Quote:
When I was at uni, I used to split firewood on weekends for a bit of cash. With a splitting axe. Got Ok at it, $20 a cubic metre, used to earn $120 on a Saturday morning.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:33   #531
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
When I was at uni, I used to split firewood on weekends for a bit of cash. With a splitting axe. Got Ok at it, $20 a cubic metre, used to earn $120 on a Saturday morning.
I did a lot of things aged under 25.

these days, the $120 earned would not cover the ambulance ride to the emergency room.

Getting older is not for the faint hearted.

Old 25-08-2015, 16:55   #532

Boat: Still building

Quote:
I did a lot of things aged under 25.....

Didn't we all...???? LOL

One trick that I can share with you is the way to minimise the effort in cutting the logs to stove-box length.

This is better if you are working with timbers not more than 8" in diameter, the sort of size you'll get if you're cutting deadfall or coppicing larger trees.

Start with an old railway sleeper or old hard log with the top smoothed flat.

Needs to be the length of the largest logs you have pre-cut from the forest with your chainsaw (ie: usually what will fit comfortably in the bed of the trailer/utility/pick-up/bakke/horse-drawn cart...)

Set this log up parallel to the slope contour on the flattest piece of ground you can find. Source several pairs of star pickets, such that you can drive a pair in on opposite sides of the base log such that the centre of the gaps between each pair is the length of the stove-box.

Load your pre-cut logs in from the ends, or over the top of the pickets (which should be no more than your head height, as you have to raise the chainsaw that high..!!) We used to get between six and 10 logs stacked this way.

Once you have a rack full of logs, fire up the saw and make one vertical cut between each pair of star pickets.

So with about four cuts and five minutes on the chainsaw, you'll have about half a box-trailer full of 'rounds' the correct length for the stove-box.

Carry these to your log splitter, split and stack.

This can be improved by using two people, so that lifting the logs in is easier and quicker, and one can do the chainsaw while the other does the splitting, and both can muck in on the eventual final stacking, which of course needs to be up off the ground and under cover.

My brother and I used to cut and split enough for a whole winter's warming in less than a day - or a day if you include the trip to the forest to cut the deadfall logs in the first place.

We had better things to do with our weekends...!!!!

Like chatting to girls and riding motor-bikes, or swimming in summer....

You know how it goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

Oh, and I 'added' the splitter. We only had an axe and the stump block way back then. So it probably took two days of splitting by hand to cut up a cord or two. Although a lot oif the deadfall we cut was 'in the round' so only needed to be cut to length and not split as well, which speeds things up dramatically.

We used it only ofr heating during our temperate winters in inland Oz, so probably the equivalent of a 7' X 4' box trailer-full of split logs.

And if you have to cut green logs, cut them to the trailer length and stack them cross-ways in layers, under cover, for at least a year to air dry and rid themselves of most of the moisture.

This way you are lifting much lighter logs into the rack..!!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:44   #533

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Here's the way to do it.

https://youtu.be/5ZQCA-mTzjs

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-08-2015, 21:16   #534

Nah, you want one of THESE....!!!

Old 25-08-2015, 21:56   #535

Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Hey.... You can all laugh about Brits and the metric imperial problem, i am still battling with Antiguan dialect !
Today I tried to order 4x2 and was told ... "Wa gwan .....na mi honly ad tu ba fwa man.
Hey Attol, I am back in Kernow for 2 weeks , beginning of Sept, will pop in, shout if you need some kit, fathers garage is still full of his tools from Ardgraft, will try and catch up with that little scrote that has her for an update
'See ee Deckly boi ! '

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 04:07   #536
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is similar to what I had.... Mine was by Northern tools

Old 26-08-2015, 11:09   #537
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Hey.... You can all laugh about Brits and the metric imperial problem, i am still battling with Antiguan dialect !
Today I tried to order 4x2 and was told ... "Wa gwan .....na mi honly ad tu ba fwa man.
Hey Attol, I am back in Kernow for 2 weeks , beginning of Sept, will pop in, shout if you need some kit, fathers garage is still full of his tools from Ardgraft, will try and catch up with that little scrote that has her for an update
'See ee Deckly boi ! '

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
that's great paul,i think I have his gaffers number if you want to contact him,heard nothing myself about aardgraft.
her is my number if you don't still have it 07788551601
you are welcome to stay over,and we can swap a few yarns over some pot noodles,and rum
Old 29-08-2015, 03:31   #538
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

more bling and bits of wood!

the weather Gods were kind and have managed to get rub rails done on both sides.

forestay chainplate installed as well,pleased with the bends that were a good fit.
will hopefully get the cross beams fore and aft done today,then sand off the plugs next week and get it all oiled.

haven't quite decided what to use for the 4 endcaps,prout had specially fabricated ones in anodised aluminium,but might see what I can do in iroko with the spindle moulder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10881.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	108085   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10885.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	108086  

Name:	SDC10883.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	108087   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10884.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	108088  

Name:	SDC10886.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	108089   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10887.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	108090  

Old 29-08-2015, 03:48   #539
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
more bling and bits of wood!

the weather Gods were kind and have managed to get rub rails done on both sides.

forestay chainplate installed as well,pleased with the bends that were a good fit.
will hopefully get the cross beams fore and aft done today,then sand off the plugs next week and get it all oiled.

haven't quite decided what to use for the 4 endcaps,prout had specially fabricated ones in anodised aluminium,but might see what I can do in iroko with the spindle moulder
I used Iroko on my Tremlett for a new transom and bits and pieces. Slow going with a spindle motor but cut perfectly. I used 4 of the same bit, but had a lot of cutting to do.
Old 29-08-2015, 18:20   #540

I think I'm suffering form "tool envy"......

And no, I'm not saying that atoll is a 'tool'..... lol

I dream of a spindle moulder......

Had to replace my old hand hled router not long ago, and got a Ryobi 1600W version that I only later discovered has only a 'trigger' to tunr on the power, whereas my old Hitachi had an 'on/off' switch.

Means using it in a router table will be a pain and involve some sort of on/off switch work-around.

Bloody nanny-state elf 'n safety 'rules'....

But rub rails looking good..!!

Tags
grass, paracelle