Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 14:05   #421
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I was not thinking on terms of a beautiful finish, more of it being "finished". Something about opening a locker or looking in the recesses and seeing the area painted that gives confidence. It doesnt have to be gorgeous, just painted.

I spray everything. From a teen on thats what I do...... it gives uniformity and something I am familiar with. Roller or brush is fine.......
all surfaces get some sort of coating before And after assembly,bulkheads are all on their 1st ,2nd or 3rd coat of varnish,before anything is even attached to them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10806.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	102842   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10811.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	102843  

__________________

__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:08   #422
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,198
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

WHAO look at that! Every day is a bit of xmas!
__________________

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:47   #423
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

I have 2 prouts, on Elite and one eairlier, an 84 and 88. The roof over the center of the boat is not stiff enough on the stock designs and the front windows will un seal and crack because of flex. So you are going to add maybe 400# to the boat to do it right. You can only walk down the center of the salon so just raise that portion, stiffen the front top, especially if you have a staysail attach point there. The navstation and galley are perfect where they are, and what would you do with that space anyhow? Since the beam is 15.5' you will probably flip boat if you put a modern mast and large main, it was made that way for a reason, the genoa is the motor, if you want to go to wind better add fold down dagger boards on the outside of the hulls, even better would be a daggerboard that is steerable on the front center of the hulls, the things dont steer worth a ****, huge turning radius, i would also sell the engine and put a smallerone in one hull and an electric one in the other, or add a kicker motor to the existing one for manuvering at marinas, and use the space for batteries. Even a central rudder behind the prop would be a huge help turning. Where are you going to steer from and how are you going to see when you raise the whole roof? And isnt the roof going to block the wind on the genoa? How many people are going to sleep on the boat, and where? You want a sailboat or a floating houseboat? You dont need a mould to build anything anymore, just form with foam and glass over it. You want to sail or tinker. I Purchased my prout elite 37 sight unseen in Panama, didnt know how to sail, but im a fix anything guy which may be 80% of sailing, and the folks at Shelter Bay marina taught me how to put my genoa on right side up, and in a couple of months i was in San Blas, then Bocas Del Toro, navigating with charts and my ipad. My boat came with everything to cruise the world at a bargain price. I am selling my 1984 for 40k, it is bare bones, but light and fast. I now really have grow to like my Prout, and by the way i get charged monohull prices at the marina because it fits in a regular slip. I just added a hefty trolling motor to the front for my bow thruster, now i can get out of the marina solo with no dingy pushing you around.
__________________
earthvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:58   #424
Registered User
 
Travelnik's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nanny State
Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Posts: 590
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Wow! I guess he told you Atoll!
__________________
Dean - 22' Westerly Nomad - Travelnik
A 14-foot mini-cruiser is minimalist. A 19ft is comfortable, and anything much larger than a 25 borders on ostentatious.
Travelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 20:42   #425
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,419
Images: 3
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I come from the school of everything is removable except for structure. I had leaned towards the South African school of thought of making the furniture part of the structure so as to eliminate flexing and thus creaking, but had never thought of glassing in water tanks. The reason for it is interesting.
Built in tanks are not uncommon. Also puts weight low and central lather than higher on the bridgedeck - an advantage.

Fuel tanks use special resin to seal the fibreglass.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:53   #426
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthvisions View Post
I have 2 prouts, on Elite and one eairlier, an 84 and 88. The roof over the center of the boat is not stiff enough on the stock designs and the front windows will un seal and crack because of flex. So you are going to add maybe 400# to the boat to do it right. You can only walk down the center of the salon so just raise that portion, stiffen the front top, especially if you have a staysail attach point there. The navstation and galley are perfect where they are, and what would you do with that space anyhow? Since the beam is 15.5' you will probably flip boat if you put a modern mast and large main, it was made that way for a reason, the genoa is the motor, if you want to go to wind better add fold down dagger boards on the outside of the hulls, even better would be a daggerboard that is steerable on the front center of the hulls, the things dont steer worth a ****, huge turning radius, i would also sell the engine and put a smallerone in one hull and an electric one in the other, or add a kicker motor to the existing one for manuvering at marinas, and use the space for batteries. Even a central rudder behind the prop would be a huge help turning. Where are you going to steer from and how are you going to see when you raise the whole roof? And isnt the roof going to block the wind on the genoa? How many people are going to sleep on the boat, and where? You want a sailboat or a floating houseboat? You dont need a mould to build anything anymore, just form with foam and glass over it. You want to sail or tinker. I Purchased my prout elite 37 sight unseen in Panama, didnt know how to sail, but im a fix anything guy which may be 80% of sailing, and the folks at Shelter Bay marina taught me how to put my genoa on right side up, and in a couple of months i was in San Blas, then Bocas Del Toro, navigating with charts and my ipad. My boat came with everything to cruise the world at a bargain price. I am selling my 1984 for 40k, it is bare bones, but light and fast. I now really have grow to like my Prout, and by the way i get charged monohull prices at the marina because it fits in a regular slip. I just added a hefty trolling motor to the front for my bow thruster, now i can get out of the marina solo with no dingy pushing you around.
thanks for the input,i guess you haven't read the whole thread,as moving the mast and building a raised bridge deck ideas were quickly put aside,in favour of the stock design,which I am following fairly closely.

interesting that you mention the the saloon roof as being weak,is your roof underside a balsa core sandwich as mine is?

the forward windows I had intended adding more stiffening,though probably not 400 lbs.......that would be the weight of 10 sheets of 1/2inch plywood!

do you have a steerable leg?
so far the leg I have is locked in the .central position which indeed makes manuevering in tidal current conditions as we have here difficult,but not impossible.

if I was to change it I would probably use twin 20hp outboards.

as for getting out there and doing it ,I manage 2-4 k in deliveries most years
and am about 7000miles into my third circumnavigation

cheers atoll
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:19   #427
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Built in tanks are not uncommon. Also puts weight low and central lather than higher on the bridgedeck - an advantage.

Fuel tanks use special resin to seal the fibreglass.
for my first circumnavigation I built a 35 ft motorsailer,that had large integral plywood/GRP diesel tanks under the pilot house,about 500L each side,these I coated with white pigmented epoxy,which are still doing fine 30 years later according to the current owner
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:40   #428
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,198
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

<scratch scratch ding ding>

me wunder what meister atoll is sandin and glue'n today har har

*bump*
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:38   #429
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
<scratch scratch ding ding>

me wunder what meister atoll is sandin and glue'n today har har

*bump*

lots of bumping and grinding

got both inboard lockers in ,in both aft cabins.

manual bilge pumps go in under the little side table,and the weaco cr 80 litre fridge on stb side,and similar waeco freezer on port side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10833.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	103387   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10832.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	103388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10831.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	103389   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10835.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	103390  

__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13   #430
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,198
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

wow oowowowo. Holy ****. That's lookin' very very nice atoll, fillin' in nice and FAST. We see the end state! A/B woodie sheets too. Class act.

Got me Monday boat buildin' porn.

Big monkey smile and thanks for the update.

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:39   #431
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,134
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Whatever you do - Dont set it up for single handing...

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:41   #432
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Whatever you do - Dont set it up for single handing...

I once met the ultimate single handed sailor in grenada......a guy that only had one arm and one leg from thalidamide.......he swam like a fish,and sailed like a pro solo
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:21   #433
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,134
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I once met the ultimate single handed sailor in grenada......a guy that only had one arm and one leg from thalidamide.......he swam like a fish,and sailed like a pro solo
Ha!
It almost leaves the non single handers without a leg to stand on!

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:17   #434
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,198
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I once met the ultimate single handed sailor in grenada......a guy that only had one arm and one leg from thalidamide.......he swam like a fish,and sailed like a pro solo
I suppose, because of this loss of limb, he has the advantage that he can only go in circles making a circumnavigation very easy, which would mean he would not require burdensome and expensive navigation equipment.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 22:17   #435
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Hi Atoll,

Started following your post since, you commented on my Prout!!
Great job, almost wish I could keep mine, couple of really great ideas in yours that I could incorparte.

I'm not home at the moment, should be back next month. If you need any photo's of my layout or any additional "specs", please don't hesitate to contact me.

Keep up the excellent work and humours banter - really enjoing you guys "work".

Rgds
Trimax

robert.trautman@vodamail.co.za
__________________

__________________
Trimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prout Snowgoose Elite 37 HELP! philipmclaren1 Multihull Sailboats 7 05-12-2012 15:47
Want To Buy: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite or regular traderdan Classifieds Archive 1 26-12-2011 19:02
Want To Buy: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite or Regular traderdan Classifieds Archive 1 10-12-2011 11:13
For Sale: Prout 38 Catamaran Nigel Leakey Classifieds Archive 0 19-09-2011 09:55
For Sale or Trade: Prout Snowgoose Elite ricosail Classifieds Archive 3 11-07-2011 08:35


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.