Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 14:54   #61

Re: Modernising a Horstman Trimaran

Hi animal,
Is there an ad you can post a link to ?
Is the boat foam sandwich or cold moulded plywood ?
Makes a huge difference.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:59   #62

No link at the moment and still getting information from the present owner. But thanks for the info. Some thing else to ask. Again thank you
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 15:22   #63

Foam sandwich would be the preferred boat. Did the current owner build the boat ?
Ply; rot is the big one, look for bubbles in the paint, soft spots, particularly around fittings screwed through the structure, daggerboard cases, hatches and windows, lifeline stanchions etc.
Foam sandwich: What is the resin system ? Look for badly repaired damage, soft spots where the skins may have been damaged or come away from the core. If it is a polyester boat osmosis is a possibility if it has not been epoxy coated below the waterline, lots of small blisters in the finish.
Either, when was the last time the mast was taken down ? How old are the rigging wires, sails etc.
Generally speaking everything is fixable if the price is right, a new motor, stove, service the rig etc.
But if the hull is rotten don't contemplate it as these things have a tendency to blow up in your face.
If however you like what you see but are not confident in your ability to appraise the boat a professional survey would be money well spent.
Lastly, with a boat of this vintage be prepared to spend some money bringing it up to scratch, don't blow the whole budget on just the purchase.
Old 27-12-2013, 15:39   #64

Hi Redreuben. I appreciate your help. This is from the advert.....
Ed Horstman Tristar Trimaran for sale. Refurbished deck,hull and out riggers in 2012.Complete with extras, latest flares,spare fore sail,anchors.Four man dinghy with outboard.....
I have been told by the broker she was built in Southampton. But whether that was a complete build our a partial build and home fit out I don't know yet. She is dated as being built in 1982..
I am waiting to get in touch with the owner so I can get more information. ...As I get to know more I will put it on the forum.
I appreciate all the help, information I can get, you guys out there know more than me lol. Thanks again
Old 29-12-2013, 04:03   #65

Hi Animal,
The Horstman tri is on Apollo duck, Horstmann Tristar 31 for sale UK, Horstmann boats for sale, Horstmann used boat sales, Horstmann Sailing Yachts For Sale Ed Horstman Trimaran - Apollo Duck
She's all wood. Current owner is a carpenter and I've spoken to him and a mate of his who previously part owned the boat.
Also the previous owner who used her a 'live aboard' for a couple of years.
Also have the details of the original owner/builders who are now cruising.
She's crossed the Atlantic a couple of times and I would also think she's a sound boat. I've not seen her yet but I think she's the only Horstman 31 in the UK.
The other Tristar is a 24ft boat built on the East Coast and now somewhere on the Solent.
If you send me an Email to adrianezard@gmail.com I'll send through any info/links I have on the 31.
Have thought of looking at her myself, but want to build a Marples CC35 so need the cash to start that.
I think the 31 has the original plans with her so would be useful. Ed Horstman still sells plans for very reasonable money if you did need a set.
If you do buy her, please keep in touch as I'm starting to compile a complete Trimaran website www.trimaranbible.com and would like to compile more information on Tristar trimarans.
All the best.
Adrian
aezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 11:30   #66

Hi Adrian. You know more than me. I still have not spoken to the owner. But it does sound good. Would love to talk to him as I am very interested in the tri for a long distance cruiser and live aboard. If you are still in contact with him please ask him to contact me.
Cheers Andy
Old 29-12-2013, 11:32   #67

Forgot. My E Mail is andydee69@gmail. Com
Old 29-12-2013, 20:30   #68

Trimaranbible link does not work
Old 29-12-2013, 20:32   #69

Trimaran Bible | All things Trimaran – past, present, future
Old 31-12-2013, 13:13   #70

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Hi animal,
Is there an ad you can post a link to ?
Is the boat foam sandwich or cold moulded plywood ?
Makes a huge difference.
I take a different position on this one. Wood has a couple advantages. On a ply boat you can tell what kind of wood was used and usually have acces to enough end grain to be sure. The other advantage is much better a strength/fatigue ratio than glass over repeated load cycles.

On a foam boat you can't really check the layup without taking core samples, something not often allowed. Now you have to hope the builder followed the plans and didn't make many substitutions. On many foam glass boats there is ply to check too in beams and bulkheads.

Both can be great or not. Given the choice of a low grade ply boat or a foam one, I'd cross my fingers and go with the foam then take some core samples and see if everything was right before heading offshore.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 13:25   #71

Hi cavalier..
I have spoken to the owner today. It is ply built. Has had some work done it and needs an interior refurbish. But looks good overall. Will be going down in a few days to have a look at it. . Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-12-2013, 13:50   #72

Figure out what kind of ply they used to construct the skins, bulkheads, beams, decks etc....there may be different grades used in different areas which is normal. Look at the quality of wood used for stringers and framing, straight clear grain? Species? Look at the quality of build, how it was put together. What kind of glue was used. What kind of fastenings/nails were used, bronze? Galvanised? Check for rot everywhere.

After that look into the gear, the first part determines if you have a sound foundation to work with. So look at the mast, what kind of spar, section (size) etc...? Rigging, what shape? Hardware, many custom pieces, n a tristar the chainplates are going through the deck s look carefully for leaks and damaged wood. Make sure the fittings were made to spec. Rudder gear, well made? Condition of running rigging? Sails? Engine? Electrical? These are the things the safety of you and the boat depend on.

Now we get into the cushions, head, stove, lighting, water system etc....The condition of these determine your initial livability.

Never be in a hurry, it should take most of a day to do all this if you know what you're doing and longer if you don't. A rubber hammer can check suspect areas fr sound with practice. Does the wood ring or have a dull mushy thud? John Marples has survey material available on Outrig.org that could be useful to you. Sleep on it before making any big decisions, and remember you will have as challenging a time selling down the road as these folks so make sure the boat has what you need. Good luck and have fun, see if you can do all this alone with out the sales pitch, make lists then see what you can clarify with the owner. Buy or not you'll learn a lot for the next time.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:28   #73

Thanks a lot cavalier. I now have a reasonable idea of what I am looking for. Every one on CF has been really helpful and I appreciate it. I will let every one know how things went when I have done the inspection. If it goes well I will be asking for more information on the nitty gritty things.
Again what every happens with this one I offer my thanks and hope every one on CF has had a good new year..
Stay safe all. .
Andy

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-01-2014, 14:33   #74

Cheers Andy, a good new year to you too.
Old 05-01-2014, 16:44   #75

Ply on deck was not marine , you can contact the builder about the boat . I will look and see if I kept their email . Rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran