Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2013, 20:02   #46

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Modernising a Horstman Trimaran

They're a cruising tri Red. Hot rodders start with hotter boats. That said Ed has some things including angle adjustable daggers that can be done. Full battened mains and modern laminates could improve the sails etc....a screacher for light winds and a chute of course. The biggest improvement could be not filling the big interiors by carrying too much. To put it in perspective a 30' Tristar can probably carry more than a 50+' french racer.

Old 15-12-2013, 12:43   #47

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

To add to what Cav said, Tristar hulls are full by more modern standards at about 8 1/2:1 which hampers there speed but allows them to perform in a wider range of conditions while carrying a cruising load. Speed is very intoxicating in a daysail with crew but short handed over a couple days becomes very tiring. Dave

Old 15-12-2013, 12:58   #48

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
To add to what Cav said, Tristar hulls are full by more modern standards at about 8 1/2:1 which hampers there speed but allows them to perform in a wider range of conditions while carrying a cruising load. Speed is very intoxicating in a daysail with crew but short handed over a couple days becomes very tiring. Dave
FWIW That 8.5 L/B is what many modern cats have. Maybe the Tristars aren't that slow.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:32   #49

That is a common L/B for cruising tris, they are usually quicker than cats with the same L/B because they only drag one hull that fat through the water and the tri L/B further narrows as the displacement is transfered to the ama as the wind picks up. The tri heels and while the ama is depressed the main hull lifts narrowing the waterline.
Old 15-12-2013, 15:08   #50

Hey guys,
I don't have a problem with the cruiser nature or 8.5:1 LB
But I do think;
The floats could be longer and both the main hull and floats could use a flatter run aft and probably a more rounder profile underneath rather than the sharp join of the rounded sides, this would give them the same displacement with less draft and dampen fore and aft pitching.
I used to think a 3/4 rig would be better with side stays to the floats but I'm not so sure now, but perhaps a prodder and asymmetric on a furler would be better than the old spinnaker pole set up ?
Oh and a tad more beam overall
Old 15-12-2013, 15:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
FWIW That 8.5 L/B is what many modern cats have. Maybe the Tristars aren't that slow.
Well see this is the thing, they are such rare birds in this country no one can say.
And in general their owners seem to be a quiet lot and hard to find and therefore anecdotal evidence of their performance seems to be a bit thin on the ground.
Because of their rather distinct "style" they also seem to attract a following of haters so it has been hard for me to judge how they perform.
Further, the pure cruising tri is a pretty unique class, probably the only comparable boats are the Pivers and the Searunners of similar vintage. Neither of which is likely to be seen on a racecourse with Tristars !
Old 15-12-2013, 18:06   #52

Geez Red, do all that and something else is closer to what you want than a Tristar. There are quite a few more cruising tri designs, Cross, Nicol, Crowther, Kelsall all had some and there are a good few others.

The Tristar shape isn't bad, it is a better load carrier than a Marples and should perform at least as well. Longer floats might be worthwhile but would increase weight hurting light air performance. Their diagonal stability has been good.

The beam thing is only necessary if the boat is significantly lighter. The lighter the boat the wider the beam for comparable stability. Easy to forget in this day of racers but a narrow boat can be as stable if rig size and boat weight are properly allowed for.

You don't need a spinnaker pole with the guys and sheets set up right using the ama bows. A sprit or prodder could open up some nice light air options.
Old 15-12-2013, 19:33   #53

Cross and Nicol, I'll give you, the other two are more performance orientated, more cruiser/racer. And both the aforementioned are seriously outdated as well.
Using modern fabrics weight could be kept way down.
Not sure I'm understanding your point about weight and beam ?
Are you saying a light boat needs more beam for the same stability ? Don't forget any reduction of build weight would probably be absorbed by stuff!
Old 15-12-2013, 19:34   #54

Besides, I like the Horstman swept deck look over the box and trench designs any day !
Old 15-12-2013, 20:29   #55

Yes, a light boat needs more beam for the same stability and a light boat with a big rig needs more, that is how we got "square" designs in racing where the LOA and BOA are the same. Not really helpful when docking but fast.

I really don't think any of those designs are out dated for cruising. A stock rig with a conventional main is easier to handle in the real world and a masthead rig has lots of versatility as well as more hoist for the A sails. These things work better than you would think, we've surprised a lot of people out sailing and most important for the cruising budget, the price is low. Exotics have their place but the premium isn't really justified for cruising.

The Tristar hull is a ellipse, a good compromise between load carrying, soft ride and low wetted surface. Because the hulls work like a displacement boat using relatively narrow beam to slice through the bow wave the stern profile helps reduce turbulence, like a canoe. Too full a forward section makes for pounding and more abrupt motion in waves. The stern also lets the bows with their large reserve stability go over the waves versus stopping the boat by plowing into them.

Looking at Ed's 37XRC design if I wanted to extend the ama sterns I'd stretch the aft sections from about 2/3 aft for about 4 feet but first I'd want to sail a stock Tristar to see how they work. There isn't any reason you couldn't do the Tristar raised deck to another design if you preferred other hulls.
Old 15-12-2013, 23:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
. There isn't any reason you couldn't do the Tristar raised deck to another design if you preferred other hulls.
Yes ! That thought has crossed my mind, I'm in no hurry (yet), looking and learning, not many tri's in my part of the world though
Old 16-12-2013, 09:51   #57

If you applied the concept you should also set the wing deck as far aft as the Tristars so the thicker section doesn't hit the waves. There is a lot going on in a design and everything affects something else. Ama sterns in a cruising tri are usually set to go over a wave at the same time as the main hull when going to windward in a sea way. Check out the over view and imagine the waves coming from the windward angle. On a racer designed to fly the main hull with wave piercing bows the flat run and full length works to power through the waves and keep up waterline length for diagonal stability with big sail plans. The early Nicols had shorter amas but to work with their semiplaning main hull they were extended aft with a flat run to reduce the squat from riding the wave. The bows were finer to cut through the waves and preserve the angle of attack. The Tristars and Crosses are working differently and pivot more around the center instead of the aft third so their sterns are designed to keep the drag down with that motion. That Tristar ama stern stays out of the water for less drag when pressed.

There is information from owners on themultihull.com Scott Brown's site in England. I've seen and talked with Ed but haven't seen one sailing hence my reluctance to contemplate alterations. I learned from my own antique that some things that aren't in current fashion can work pretty well. While tastes change and fads come and go the sea is still the same.
Old 27-12-2013, 14:59   #58

Hi all. I am fairly new to sailing and I am looking at buying my first boat. I have the opportunity to have a look at a Horstman Tristar 31..
I am looking for some advice on what to look for, problems and the like. All advice will be welcome.
Thanks to all
Old 27-12-2013, 15:29   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
Hi all. I am fairly new to sailing and I am looking at buying my first boat. I have the opportunity to have a look at a Horstman Tristar 31..
I am looking for some advice on what to look for, problems and the like. All advice will be welcome.
Thanks to all
Sail on some others before you commit yourself. You'll be thankful, no matter what you choose, that you did (Now, isn't that a generous statement from me?).
Old 27-12-2013, 15:37   #60

Thanks Roy. My son and myself have done our comp crew and day skipper on a Broad blue cat and we felt very comfortable. We have looked at some older cats but I don't like to think of spending some of my day crouched down. (Lack of head room lol). So looked at the tri as a compromise. Got the head room but still a multi Hull. Thanks for your advice though.

Tags
trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: