Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 18:28   #91
cruiser

Re: Million dollar catamarans

We’ll be lookin’ for ya. Drop us an email when you arrive.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 19:40   #92

Boat: Hanse 348

Who the eff are you to judge and comment on what others do with their money. Are you jealous, envious, or just judgemental.

As I have said, to the homeless guy on the street, I am Bill Gates. To Bill Gates, I am the homeless guy on the street. It's all relative. Live and let live.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 20:10   #93

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most people that are not severely autistic often “get better” often means that they don’t change really, but being smart people they learn how to act and pretend empathy etc.
When our Son hit puberty, he suddenly got a lot better, was more in control and didn’t act out in public nearly as much etc.
Give it time
However some traits they will carry to the grave of course.

My Father and I had a talk years ago, he had come to the conclusion that only the brave actually could decide when it was time, he had terminal Cancer and took himself off of dialysis when it became hopeless and all he had left was going to be increasing pain.
Yeah, I'm not incredibly worried about his future self and being able to live without aid. I swear, I think he can read and spell at 4, but doesn't speak English, just gibberish and little of that. Some other things he does amazes me.

I still make it my goal right now to set ourselves up financially so that he'll be ok.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:22   #94
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post

I still make it my goal right now to set ourselves up financially so that he'll be ok.
What were really talking about here is "Success" and what that means to us in the context of Wealth, biggest toys, Self Determination or any other measuring stick you grab at the moment.

Yours is by far the noblest stick and I wish you great success.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:04   #95
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Your last sentence saves you, but quite frankly you sound like a dick. If other people are nothing but “[I]bikini clad young thing[/]”s to you then that speaks volumes about you. But if that works for you, just fine, your life is yours.
I really don't think the last line saves him. It's something to say but not really mean.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I really don't think the last line saves him. It's something to say but not really mean.
Funny thing is I've met a fair number of really wealthy successful people (maybe not bill gates level but pretty successful). I've always been impressed that most are absolutely people focused. They are so likable and so inspiring, people go out of their way to please them and do stuff for them.

The "Evil CEO" stereotype who just uses and abuses every one...from what I've seen is largely a myth. Not saying there are no people like that but think about it, you can take advantage of someone once...after that, people don't trust you and avoid doing business with you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:49   #97

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Funny thing is I've met a fair number of really wealthy successful people (maybe not bill gates level but pretty successful). I've always been impressed that most are absolutely people focused. They are so likable and so inspiring, people go out of their way to please them and do stuff for them.

The "Evil CEO" stereotype who just uses and abuses every one...from what I've seen is largely a myth. Not saying there are no people like that but think about it, you can take advantage of someone once...after that, people don't trust you and avoid doing business with you.
My friend's wife is a somethingEO for a multinational company, one of the nicest people I've ever known. Worth who knows how many millions, they live in a modest house my friend inherited from his grandparents. They drive cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, like it's a goal to see how far they can keep one alive. She funds entire scholarships for girls to further women in business. Bought a car from me to give to a struggling single mom, I gave them a good deal but I couldn't just hand it over for free like they did. They don't brag at all about how much they have, truly incredible people. Just go through life trying to leave something positive behind them everywhere.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:04   #98
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

I totally agree with you which has been my point with the last two posts on this tread. It's kind of "Nouveau riche" in tone, where the truly successful wealthy don't have any "riche" to their demeanor.

But back to the point, I like million dollar cats. They look badass.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:22   #99

My suggestion: Buy a set of Wharram plans and build it yourself.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 23:32   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
A million dollar home built wharram would be massive. Do they have plans that big?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 23:46   #101

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
Waste of good materials.
Take those same materials and build this with them instead

https://dixdesign.com/55cat.htm
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:54   #102

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Waste of good materials.

Exactly. I had a conversation with Chris White some time ago as I had been shopping for the right plans.

He said, "It costs the same and takes the same amount of time to build a piece of junk as it does a good catamaran. Might as well build a good one."

Boy did that piece of wisdom stick in my head.

There is no reason at all to build a sub par boat.

The materials used to build a hull are a drop in the bucket when doing the budget for a build.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:10   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Your last sentence saves you, but quite frankly you sound like a dick. If other people are nothing but “[I]bikini clad young thing[/]”s to you then that speaks volumes about you. But if that works for you, just fine, your life is yours.
Don't worry too much about what he says, most of it is made up. He says he did the gold trading and property flipping and then quit the game when he was 47. His profile says he's 65. Gold hit his alleged selling price in 2011, that means we would have to have been 57 when he sold it, add a few years of flipping property after that and his math/age/profile don't add up. He also claims he has been sailing/living aboard full time since 2007. You could do the gold trades onboard, but I don't know how you would flip properties living full time onboard.
petro0819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:16   #104

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro0819 View Post
Don't worry too much about what he says, most of it is made up. He says he did the gold trading and property flipping and then quit the game when he was 47. His profile says he's 65. Gold hit his alleged selling price in 2011, that means we would have to have been 57 when he sold it, add a few years of flipping property after that and his math/age/profile don't add up. He also claims he has been sailing/living aboard full time since 2007. You could do the gold trades onboard, but I don't know how you would flip properties living full time onboard.
Good points. I was getting that vibe when I asked him about the end-of-life stuff. Didn’t seem to have an answer. Probably because everything is made up.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 17:37   #105

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Waste of good materials.

Interesting 4th reef. I wonder how it is rigged. I can’t see any reef lines to any of the reef points, but I would doubt that you would keep that 4th reef permanently rigged. Anyone know ?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran