Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 15:19   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Million dollar catamarans

Buying a boat is not a very good idea whether new or used. When I bought used, I put a lot of money in upgrades but still didn't have the boat I wanted so sold it after a couple years. The new boats I bought I configured exactly how I wanted them and kept them much longer. In neither case did I do as well as the stock market or local real estate. We have our eighth boat on order and I will lose money on that one too. However, I'll die happy.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 19:36   #32
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Buying a boat is not a very good idea whether new or used. When I bought used, I put a lot of money in upgrades but still didn't have the boat I wanted so sold it after a couple years. The new boats I bought I configured exactly how I wanted them and kept them much longer. In neither case did I do as well as the stock market or local real estate. We have our eighth boat on order and I will lose money on that one too. However, I'll die happy.
That is HILARIOUS
:-)

I always joke with my kids that if everything goes as planned the two of them will have to throw in credit cards to pay for the funeral, but between now and then - buckle up because it's going to be a hell of a ride.
Old 29-04-2019, 06:30   #33

We sailed arround the world. On remote places in the beautifully pacific where you have the paradise with all the fish and stunning islands there is nobody of these people.

These people are so occupied to earn money they can never afford to go on a real trip.

The greed....
Norbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:32   #34

Boat: Currently boatless

As a Canadian with a 28-footer sailing inland waters, I often wonder whether those much more expensive boats are heavily-financed because, as I understand it, U.S. taxpayers can write off interest costs. I'm happy to be corrected.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:37   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Ken - while you can deduct interest my dealer says that the majority of his buyers of big boats pay cash. Not only is interest deductible, but you can get 20 year financing at a very good rate.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:39   #36

Boat: Hake 32RK

I do wish I had a few more feet to land my helicopter
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
As a Canadian with a 28-footer sailing inland waters, I often wonder whether those much more expensive boats are heavily-financed because, as I understand it, U.S. taxpayers can write off interest costs. I'm happy to be corrected.
You can deduct interest as a second home but there are limits on the amount. Also, paying $50,000 in interest to knock $15,000 off your tax bill doesn't make a lot of sense.

Doesn't mean people don't do it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:45   #38

guys you getting it wrong.these million dollar cats did not cost them that.In fact they paid way less and in a round about way you payed for half as they cleverly ,smartly and rightly got the tax man(dammed parasites) to fund a big portion.I know it hurts but good on them showing us the way...should be upgradeing my 20 footer charter business shortly hahaha
split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:24   #39
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

My new Gunboat was well over 2+ mil configured as I wanted it, I left nothing to chance and went with the best of the best and did not compromise on anything.

People need to remember that money is little more than a tool, it all depends on what you use it for. If you want more of it, get rid of the cell phone, the cable TV, stop going out to eat, movies and cut your spending to the bone. Then you will have more to invest, to work with, be ruthless in business fair but totally ruthless in order to get what you want in life.

There are no friends, only acquaintances.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:42   #40

Boat: Catalina 350

I think that the charter companies will flood the market with used cats as more time goes on. Only a very small percentage of sailors cruise full time and will have to think about a slip or mooring. The west coast is definitely not set up for the cats. Good luck finding a slip.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:51   #41

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
My new Gunboat was well over 2+ mil configured as I wanted it, I left nothing to chance and went with the best of the best and did not compromise on anything.

People need to remember that money is little more than a tool, it all depends on what you use it for. If you want more of it, get rid of the cell phone, the cable TV, stop going out to eat, movies and cut your spending to the bone. Then you will have more to invest, to work with, be ruthless in business fair but totally ruthless in order to get what you want in life.

Except don't get rid of your cell phone. Pretty hard to manage a business without one. LOL
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post

Couldn't agree more. Money is only a little more than a tool. It should be working for you. I am a huge fan of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". I sailed the Caribbean with a couple and their young daughter for about a month on a beautiful Oyster 54. I was between college and the start of my engineering career. We got into a conversation about one of their careers and they gave me similar advice. Your money should be working for you not the other way around.

I don't know what boat I will finally get but I will get the most comfortable, gorgeous boat I can afford to meet all my goals.
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 08:06   #43

that's me...going to spend all my money wisely ...best boat best women and drink...and then ill just waste the rest...jokes aside ...would love a gun boat but in for 25% of that on a new custom scape 40 sport hitting the water in 6 weeks time...as the people said same thrill different zeros and who knows...one day....or I'm comeing sailing with you tiger paws
split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:20   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I disagree. If one works hard, why not enjoy it?

If a $750k cat bothers you... you might want to avoid the Med. I’ve seen 50ft power boats loaded onto yachts to be used as water toys and tenders.
I was wondering where my boat was. Lent it to a friend a year ago and find out it's in the Med.
Stephen2258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 10:25   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert1 View Post
We sailed arround the world. On remote places in the beautifully pacific where you have the paradise with all the fish and stunning islands there is nobody of these people.

These people are so occupied to earn money they can never afford to go on a real trip.

The greed....
That’s because you’re looking for them in the wrong place. The Med and Caribbean are loaded with wealthy people enjoying themselves on expensive yachts. They tend to frequent interesting places with great food, warm weather and culture, not... islands in the middle of nowhere where it’s a struggle to find fresh food.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran