Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 15:52   #1

Middle Ground

We've been looking for a live-aboard cat and in the past two weeks have traveled to Wilmington, NC and yesterday to Beaufort, SC, I am coming to the realization that my wife of 36.5 years may be a descendant of Goldilocks. The Lagoon 380 was just a tad too small and the Lagoon 410 S, is just a little too big. So my question: Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable middle ground?
Thanks, PT

ptards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 16:26   #2

Re: Middle Ground

Do they make a 395?

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:21   #3

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

I'd spend some time investigating the actual characteristics that made them "too small" or "too big" as you may find there are other boats out there not exactly in that length range that address the issues, or even owners v charter versions of the same boat. Is it interior space, exterior space, perceived difficulty of handling, # of berths, # of heads, ... ?
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Go with the 410. It isn't that much larger feeling than the 380, and after living aboard you'll be happier with the extra space.

I've never had a client call me and say, "I should have gone with the smaller catamaran."
Old 24-03-2019, 17:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

my parents sold a business and my mother wanted a new car Dad bought supplies and started a new succesful busines buy what makes you happy at least one of you willber happy then and if that sounds to much like leaving her out of the decision tell her to pick the boat and if she can't decide stay where you are and let her complain about her home. oh wait that is what she wants, to stay home.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:49   #6

The Princess and the Pea
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:57   #7

We looked at the same boats and came to the same conclusion.

So let me suggest...

Leopard 40. The living quarters layout on this boat is excellent. To me it feels much larger and significantly more livable than the Lagoons you mentioned. You have to see one to appreciate the details. We were not over joyed with visibilty from the helm.

The Seawind 1160 is a another great layout and very well thought through. The open layout is a refreshing change compared to the Lagoons. The social space flow between salon and cockpit is beautiful. The seating at the stern on either side of the barbee is genious. Build quality is good. Better helm visibility by our measure.

These boats were our shortlist. Then we took a look at the Maine Cat 38. My wife was at the helm. We wanted good visibility, a helm that was integrated into the social space, a confident ride, plenty of storage and a good galley. The boat was running 10 knots on the ocean smooth as silk. She looked over her shoulder at me without saying a word. I know that look, we had found the boat.

The Maine Cat 38 is certainly no larger than the Lagoon 380, but feels much less confining. There is ample storage space and we have a full compliment of creature comforts. The build quality sets the bar very high. It sails circles around the Lagoons.

We covered more than 2000 miles last year.

My wife absolutely loves being on this boat and is looking forward to spending another several months onboard again this season.

The Maine Cat 41s are another great sailing livaboard with room to get lost in. Good luck finding one.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 13:41   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

Lagoon 400, Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41 (really a 39fter). Mind you, we sail a Lagoon 450 with just my wife and I , and do not find it too big to handle.

Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote